Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Swedish Fly Girls (1971) : Has anyone seen this?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-13, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is currently on Comcast On Demand in the free movies section until June 18th if I recall. I have never heard of it before, but decided to check it out since it's not available on any home video format at the moment.

The film itself was alright, but not great. Main star Birte Tove who plays Christa is quite cute and shows it all throughout the film and is one reason to check it out. The nudity( which there is quite a bit of, and it'd probably be rated NC-17 today instead of R which shows how things have changed with the MPAA in this regard) was nice , but the film wasn't what I expected. Instead of a cheesy exploitation film as the title implies and the opening credits indicate(some footage can be glimpsed in the trailer below). The film is really a story about a woman trying to find the right man to spend the rest of her life with, she just sleeps with a few along the way hoping to find 'the one'.

That's not so bad, but it's really the directing of the film that's perplexing. Jack O'Connell appears to have mostly made some experimental/arty hippie flicks and stuff. And based on reviews of Revolution(1968), which he made prior to this. It appears his style is basically lots of padding, by filming random stuff in docudrama style with a very flimsy 'plot' spread around them. While it's cool seeing the sights and sounds of the era. It's just dull when the film is filled with endless montages of random things, none of which moves the pace forward, or plot(what little there is) for that matter.

Also one aspect of the film is probably a fantasy scene of what the main character views the inside of a plane being this hip hang out. That's what one review mentions. But again, the directing isn't the greatest and doesn't really indicate those scenes are fantasy or reality, it just dives right into the 'groovy' layout of the plane.

Another peculiar thing about the film was it's in English, but then has many scenes in Danish only with no subtitles. So this made the film confusing in spots, since a huge portion of the story(again what little there is) is tough to figure out, which also makes the film a bit dull in that regard. I was wondering if this was how the film always was intended, or was a full English and Danish dub made for the film? Or at least subtitles for the Danish speaking sequences? The print was from MGM, and a review on imdb.com also mentions the language switching and lack of subtitles and missing some plot aspects as a result. So it may be the director just being 'artistic', but it's a bit annoying. Though I did understand some of what was being said as I could make out a word or two. But overall, the Danish speaking scenes left me in the dark.

The trailer is at 6:13 below if you don't want to watch the entire trailer reel. It's the only way I could find the trailer for the film, since it's quite obscure as I have discovered. Despite the films flaws, it's still a nice time capsule and worth checking out since it's unavailable on home video at the moment. And you do get your eye candy at the very least. It doesn't disappoint in that regard.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZhB291Q-lY0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X4lmtDraNW4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.moviegoods.com/large_deta...114.1020.A.jpg

Last edited by Julie Walker; 06-03-13 at 01:20 AM.
Old 06-03-13, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts
Re: Swedish Fly Girls (1971) : Has anyone seen this?

There are at least 5 other threads on this film...please do a search before creating a new thread!!!

Just pulling your leg

The lack of English subtitles during the Danish speaking scenes leaves me puzzled. Not sure I would watch this film knowing that.

And I will make this bold prediction; This thread will have less replies than the Man of Steel thread.
Old 06-03-13, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
And I will make this bold prediction; This thread will have less replies than the Man of Steel thread.
Fewer replies.
Old 06-03-13, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

My god, the fight scene in Superchick was awful.
Old 06-03-13, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Fewer replies.
Not if you keep correcting grammatical errors
Old 06-03-13, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Wow I haven't seen Swedish Fly Girls in over 30 years. Having cable in the 70's and sneaking in the middle of the night while the parents were asleep. I don't remember the plot, just lots of stark nudity.