Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Tips on Transferring Collection to Slim Cases?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-13, 08:55 PM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts

I used the search function and couldn't find any threads about this topic. At least, none that were active in the last couple of years.

We're thinking about moving all / most of our DVDs to slim cases and I wonder who has tips on doing this. We simply have too much stuff and want to not only cut down on the number of DVDs we have but also slim down the collection for better storage space options. Here are our questions:

- We're interested in slim cases which are sturdy and eco-friendly, if possible. Leads on brands / websites?

- Do any of you ever combine titles to save even more space? How does that work out for you?

- Do you usually cut off the edges of artwork, print new artwork, or have another option?

- About how long does it take to transfer, say, 100 titles?

- What do you do with your old cases and/or slip covers? I'd prefer all of that plastic not just end up in the landfill.
Old 05-29-13, 09:33 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: Tips on Transferring Collection to Slim Cases?

Talked about a lot in the organization thread iirc.

It's way past my bedtime, but I'll try to remember to give input tomorrow.
Old 05-30-13, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't know if these cases are eco-friendly, but they hold 4 DVDs and are pretty sturdy. I've been combining a few of my titles into these and really like them. It can hold all 4 covers easily without damage to them plus any inserts. There isn't a place for the inserts, but they fit in between the discs easily. Also, if one of the 4 cases you're converting to these has a slip cover, it can fit over it as well. Tight fit, but it works without damage.

I've converted quite a few of my series to these that were in basic cases. It's saved me about 3-4 feet of space so far. They are 9.89 right now for 10, so about $1 a case and worth it to me.

For the thin cases, I've only moved a few into these sizes. When I have, I do one of two things depending on the cover. I either trim the edges very carefully if there is enough blank space or I make a couple folds in the spine so I can still see the title, but the artwork isn't touched. Generally, these titles are kids ones or ones I don't particularly have an attachment for.

Hope this helps.

Lori
Old 05-30-13, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

I bought a box of 100 7mm cases a few years ago with the intention of eventually transferring my relatively modest (by DVDTalk standards) collection. But then I balked because I thought, what if I decide to sell the DVDs at some point down the road? So, I only transferred about a dozen, and the remaining cases have been gathering dust.
Now I have made the decision to go ahead with the transfer. As to the sleeves, my method is a bit more complicated than cutting off the sides. I make three folds on either side of the spine and fold inwards. That way, if need be, I can always unfold the sleeves and return them and the discs to a normal 14mm case. The folding takes a couple of minutes per sleeve.
I think the DVD industry made a big mistake back in '97 by going ahead the 14mm cases. What a colossal waste of space! The 7mm cases are so much more compact.
I buy stuff like this at Blankmedia.ca (I'm very satisfied with this company), though there's probably an American equivalent. www.blankmedia.ca/7MM-SUPER-SLIM-Prodlist.html
Old 05-30-13, 03:52 PM

Great advice you two, thank you.

I took a quick look at our collection and think there are several groups of 3-4 titles which could be combined into those 4-disc cases, Lori, such as the Evil Dead trilogy, Spider-Man trilogy, X-Men trilogy, TMNT trilogy, Watchmen + motion comic + Tales of the Black Freighter, classic Muppets movies, EL Mariachi trilogy, etc.).

I think if I go the 7mm route I'll get 2-disc cases because I have several "special edition" 2-disc titles and a few titles that could be combined (the Bill & Ted movies, 28 Days/Weeks Later, and some 2-disc titles in the "double wide" cases).

Interesting that on Amazon, the cases Lori mentioned are really highly rated and black while the really highly-rated 7mm 2-disc cases are all clear. I wonder if I could live with that or if it would look really weird. I already know there are a few titles I probably won't convert over to this new packaging (Hellboy director's cut, for example) so it's not going to be a 100% uniform look, anyway. I figure sturdier is better.
Old 05-30-13, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

It would not hurt to look at those threads from a couple of years ago - I am one of the people who posted in those and there are a lot of good suggestions and still relevant information. I have converted my entire collection to thinpaks. I am very happy. And, collections - like the Die Hard, Oceans, and others can all be combined into a single regular 14 mm case.

Here is a still relevant thread:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-co...-thinpaks.html
Old 05-30-13, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

... and if you want to see a photo of what your collection might look like go to :
my username dot com and enter this in addition to that /Dec2005DVDCollection/Jan12DVDCollection.php then click on the main photo!
Old 05-31-13, 12:13 PM

I've been trying to go through those old threads but it's not always easy to navigate them to find what I'm looking for. I'm actually especially concerned about all the leftover cases, slipcovers, artwork, etc. I really don't want to put a bunch of plastic shit in the dumpster and contribute to a landfill just so I have more space in my living room. What do people do with their leftover DVD stuff? Are there people here who would want all of that?

Cool photo, thank you. Gives me hope!

Anyone recommend r1db.com for new covers? Do they cost money?

I went with these 2 packs of 100 2-disc 7mm slim cases and the recommended 10-pack of 4-disc 14mm cases.
Old 08-09-13, 12:07 AM

Almost done converting the collection to slim packs. Who has ideas for me on what to do with all of my slipcovers and 14mm cases? Pawn shop? Craigslist? Rummage sale? I'm looking for a non-landfill solution, thanks.
Old 10-20-13, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Sorry, this is so late...just saw this post.

Glad that you've had luck with those cases. I recently got rid of most of my extras. I held back a few just in case I got a damaged one or needed to sell/donate a title that I didn't want anymore. The majority, however, I donated to my local library. They loved it. They go through a lot of cases as they get damaged when checked out. You might be able to sell them, but for the lack of hassle, I was happy to donate them.
Old 06-20-20, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Norm de Plume;11711406]
"Now I have madeAs to the sleeves, my method is a bit more complicated than cutting off the sides. I make three folds on either side of the spine and fold inwards. That way, if need be, I can always unfold the sleeves and return them and the discs to a normal 14mm case. The folding takes a couple of minutes per sleeve...."

How do you make your spne folds please? I want to do this rather than trim my sleeves and I've tried a few different folds but so far I've made a bit of a mess of it!
Old 06-20-20, 10:57 PM

I did end up trimming them all at the edges by putting them in one of those big ol' table paper slicers. Worked like a charm and after you do ten you don't care anymore about "collectiblility." It's all about the practicality.

Huh, I never posted before and after photos. Not sure if I have any "before" photos, anymore, but I can take some "after" photos this week.
The following users liked this post:
Delboy58 (06-21-20)