Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Iconic characters who died poorly

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-28-13, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just finished watching Star Trek: Generations...

We all know who dies. And he dies due to... faulty scaffolding? One of sci-fi's great heroes, felled by a loose screw.

They either should've allowed a more heroic death to occur, or, better yet, they should've left the OS cast out altogether and allowed the end of VI to serve as a wrap-up to that film series.

It got me to thinking:

Who are some others major characters that have met their demise in a less-than-favorable fashion?
Old 05-28-13, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Iconic characters who died poorly

Boba Fett is the correct answer, and yes, he did die.
Old 05-28-13, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Boba Fett is the correct answer, and yes, he did die.
I'd be amazed if Disney can restrain themselves from bringing him back.
Old 05-28-13, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Randy Meeks in Scream 2. He went out like a chump. He was such an important character in the first film when it came to the references and meta moments. His lack of presence alone in Scream 4 makes it the weakest of the Scream movies.
Old 05-28-13, 08:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Omar in the Wire. (TV series)
Old 05-28-13, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
We all know who dies. And he dies due to... faulty scaffolding? One of sci-fi's great heroes, felled by a loose screw.

They either should've allowed a more heroic death to occur
Better than the way he originally went out: being shot in the back like a chump

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9xlVuwg0DM#t=5m

Soran's death is better in the theatrical too.
Old 05-28-13, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

I forget which Lee-Dracula it was ("Satanic Rites" I think), but it was pretty damn silly to see him die by falling on a rose bush.
Old 05-28-13, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Captain Freedom.
Old 05-28-13, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B.
Better than the way he originally went out: being shot in the back like a chump

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9xlVuwg0DM#t=5m

Soran's death is better in the theatrical too.
Wow. That is much worse. In any case, I comfort myself that based on what was explained about the nature of the Nexus, Kirk is still alive because he and Picard are still stuck in there. Of course that means that the crew of TNG Enterprise are dead but... Screw them. Kirk lives!
Old 05-28-13, 09:50 PM
Banned

We all know who dies. And he dies due to... faulty scaffolding?
No, the bridge was heavily damaged by explosions from Soran's handheld weapon. If a Starfleet phaser can vaporize a human, its not surprising a lesser one would cripple an iron bridge.

One character I was really sad to see die was Professor X in "The Last Stand". I never read the Phoenix saga, so did Jean have that ability in the comics? It just seemed like a horrible idea, and an even worse execution (no pun intended). Jean feeling a bit of brief sympathy for a crying girl on the Golden Gate bridge only further compounded the constant switching of her temperament.
Old 05-28-13, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4
One character I was really sad to see die was Professor X in "The Last Stand". I never read the Phoenix saga, so did Jean have that ability in the comics? It just seemed like a horrible idea, and an even worse execution (no pun intended). Jean feeling a bit of brief sympathy for a crying girl on the Golden Gate bridge only further compounded the constant switching of her temperament.
I was okay with his demise. Especially since the smile he gave Logan seconds before showed he had an ace up his sleeve. And that ace was his brain dead brother shown earlier in the flick and paid off after the end credits.

And Jean was supposed to be batshit insane with only fleeting moments of who she was. This is also shown just before she kills Professor X, whom she loved but also resented for shackling her all those years.

Of course this would have been made more clear had it been given room to breathe and not been forced to fight for screen time with the mutant cure storyline.
Old 05-28-13, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 276 Likes on 207 Posts

I just finished watching Star Trek: Generations...

They either should've allowed a more heroic death to occur, or, better yet, they should've left the OS cast out altogether and allowed the end of VI to serve as a wrap-up to that film series.

It got me to thinking:

Who are some others major characters that have met their demise in a less-than-favorable fashion?
The scaffolding wasn't faulty it was intentionally damaged by Dr. Soran. Kirk had a decision to make. Stay on his side (the stable side) of the bridge and live, or jump to the other side that was getting ready to fall.

If he jumped to the other side he would be able to get the remote control to stop the rocket and save the people on the planet. He knew doing this would result in him falling to his death, but he did it anyway to save the planet.

If he stayed on his side of the bridge, he could have easily climbed off and lived. But, by doing this he would not likely have been able to stop the rocket and save the planet.
Old 05-28-13, 09:59 PM
Banned

the soldier and little girl from aliens that die at the start of alien 3.
Old 05-28-13, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sarah Conner in Terminator 3
Old 05-28-13, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I want to say Connor MacLeod in Highlander Endgame but his death scene was one of the better directed moments of that entire movie, even if the fight scene leading up to it features one of the most obvious use of a fight double on film.
Old 05-28-13, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No, the bridge was heavily damaged by explosions from Soran's handheld weapon. If a Starfleet phaser can vaporize a human, its not surprising a lesser one would cripple an iron bridge.
Originally Posted by movieguru
The scaffolding wasn't faulty it was intentionally damaged by Dr. Soran. Kirk had a decision to make. Stay on his side (the stable side) of the bridge and live, or jump to the other side that was getting ready to fall.

If he jumped to the other side he would be able to get the remote control to stop the rocket and save the people on the planet. He knew doing this would result in him falling to his death, but he did it anyway to save the planet.

If he stayed on his side of the bridge, he could have easily climbed off and lived. But, by doing this he would not likely have been able to stop the rocket and save the planet.
I was being facetious but, really, Kirk deserved to go out in a big flash of glory. Not falling off the side of a mountain. I understand why he did what he did, and at least he went out admirably in some sense; I just think he deserved better.
Old 05-28-13, 10:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Sarah Connor in Terminator 3
Yeah, Mostow didn't pay much attention to the facts from the first two films, and Cameron himself did the same with the second. For example, the T-800 tells John & Sarah that 1997 is three years away, but the computer readout in the T-1000's car lists John's age as 10, and his date of birth as 2/28/85. Regardless of which version you're watching, the fact is that machines don't estimate.

The third film makes things worse, by having John say he was 13 during the events of "T2", and placing Sarah's death in 1997 after a 3-year battle with leukemia. This would create a new date of birth, and imply that the events of the first film took place prior to 1984.
Old 05-28-13, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Mostow didn't pay much attention to the facts from the first two films, and Cameron himself did the same with the second. For example, the T-800 tells John & Sarah that 1997 is three years away, but the computer readout in the T-1000's car lists John's age as 10, and his date of birth as 2/28/85. Regardless of which version you're watching, the fact is that machines don't estimate.

The third film makes things worse, by having John say he was 13 during the events of "T2", and placing Sarah's death in 1997 after a 3-year battle with leukemia. This would create a new date of birth, and imply that the events of the first film took place prior to 1984.
Let's not forget that in Terminator 3, the T-800 refers to itself and the T-800 from the second movie as a T-101. Also, suddenly they have a nuclear power source that never seems to have existed in the first two movies (you figure that would be of interest to Cyberdyne when they recovered the first T-800 and would be of concern when lowering the second T-800 into the molten metal.

Oh yeah and apparently no complex machines can go back in time, which explains why they can't bring back weapons or bombs. However, not only do two T-800's make it back with the flimsy cheat of being encased in living tissue, the T-1000 and T-X go back in time with no problem (though the novelizations claim the latter two went back in time encased in living skin shell that they shed upon arrival).
Old 05-28-13, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Jake Blues in Blues Brothers 2000. Of course there's a real world explanation for the non-audible given to Elwood at the beginning.

Man, that movie was shitty.

Last edited by PatD; 05-29-13 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-28-13, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

In the comics Jean Grey wasn't in the Phoenix saga but we were lead to believe she was.
Old 05-28-13, 11:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Let's not forget that in Terminator 3, the T-800 refers to itself and the T-800 from the second movie as a T-101. Also, suddenly they have a nuclear power source that never seems to have existed in the first two movies (you figure that would be of interest to Cyberdyne when they recovered the first T-800 and would be of concern when lowering the second T-800 into the molten metal.
The HUD in "T2" shows the Terminator as being from the 800 series, model number 101. This was also confirmed by the arcade game. Arnold's model in the third film was a slightly upgraded version from the 850 series.

Oh yeah and apparently no complex machines can go back in time, which explains why they can't bring back weapons or bombs. However, not only do two T-800's make it back with the flimsy cheat of being encased in living tissue, the T-1000 and T-X go back in time with no problem (though the novelizations claim the latter two went back in time encased in living skin shell that they shed upon arrival).
I always assumed Skynet had figured out how to get around the "organic field" requirement by the time they sent the T-1000 and T-X back.
Old 05-28-13, 11:07 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Adolf Hitler in Downfall.
Old 05-28-13, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The HUD in "T2" shows the Terminator as being from the 800 series, model number 101. This was also confirmed by the arcade game. Arnold's model in the third film was a slightly upgraded version from the 850 series.
I know. Which makes him a T-800 Model 101. However, calling him a T-101 is erroneous. And the T-850 info was bullshit made up for the DVD special features to explain away the inconsistencies. Which is why Terminator Salvation ignores both designations and simply has Connor state that all T-800's have a nuclear power source.

I always assumed Skynet had figured out how to get around the "organic field" requirement by the time they sent the T-1000 and T-X back.
Except since the time machine was destroyed after Kyle was sent back in the first movie, the T-1000 was clearly sent immediately after the T-800 but just before Kyle. Of course that was also retconned since a second T-800 was sent after Kyle was sent.

And if a workaround was made for the whole "organic field" that doesn't explain why the T-800 was sent unarmed. Or why they never had weapons embedded in their bodies or masses of weapon filled flesh that could travel with them. I think Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles actually had a Terminator go back with a gun embedded in its leg.
Old 05-28-13, 11:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RocShemp
And the T-850 info was bullshit made up for the DVD special features to explain away the inconsistencies.
Actually, I'm pretty sure it was also on the wallpaper images placed online before "T3" was released.

Which is why Terminator Salvation ignores both designations and simply has Connor state that all T-800's have a nuclear power source.
Another writer who didn't pay enough attention to the small details.

Except since the time machine was destroyed after Kyle was sent back in the first movie, the T-1000 was clearly sent immediately after the T-800 but just before Kyle. Of course that was also retconned since a second T-800 was sent after Kyle was sent.
They could explain that in a future film, by saying there was more than one time machine. Maybe the Resistance found a prototype, like the evil Senator did in "Timecop".

And if a workaround was made for the whole "organic field" that doesn't explain why the T-800 was sent unarmed. Or why they never had weapons embedded in their bodies or masses of weapon filled flesh that could travel with them. I think Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles actually had a Terminator go back with a gun embedded in its leg.
Yeah, that show took a lot of liberties, but I'm still sad it was cancelled. There was so much potential in it.
Old 05-28-13, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Two Face in The Dark Knight and Bane in The Dark Knight Rises.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.