Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fall (premieres 5/28/13 on Netflix) -- starring Gillian Anderson, Jamie Dornan

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Fall (premieres 5/28/13 on Netflix) -- starring Gillian Anderson, Jamie Dornan

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-13, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Promo:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tP5Tl04gv3g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In the five part drama series made and set in Northern Ireland, Gillian Anderson stars as Detective Superintendent Stella Gibson who is brought in from the London Metropolitan Police to help catch the killer when a murder in Belfast remains unsolved.

As Gibson travels across from London, we are introduced to the murderer himself; Paul Spector (Jamie Dornan). The drama follows the police investigation uncovering the intricate story of the lives entangled by a series of murders both within the killers’ and the victims’ families.

Also stars Archie Panjabi, who plays Kalinda on The Good Wife.

It's a 5-part miniseries. Will be posted Tuesday on Netflix.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-28-13 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-28-13, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
re: The Fall (premieres 5/28/13 on Netflix) -- starring Gillian Anderson, Jamie Dornan

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/...nd-series.html

Renewed for a 2nd season by BBC Two. Hopefully the second season comes to Netflix close to the same time.

It's only 5 episodes, but will probably start this later on.
Old 05-29-13, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: The Fall (premieres 5/28/13 on Netflix) -- starring Gillian Anderson, Jamie Dornan

Real slow burn. Not sure if I was just not in the right frame of mind but stopped it during the first episode. I may pick it up when I am not as tired. Just cut it on as nothing was really on TV that I watch so my mindset wasn't ready for a slow burn like this. Hopefully someone else comments to see what they think/thought.
Old 06-28-13, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Flatlander
Real slow burn. Not sure if I was just not in the right frame of mind but stopped it during the first episode. I may pick it up when I am not as tired. Just cut it on as nothing was really on TV that I watch so my mindset wasn't ready for a slow burn like this. Hopefully someone else comments to see what they think/thought.
It starts, continues, and ends at slow burn pace, but I thought it was excellent. The juxtaposition of cop and killer worked very well for me. Acting was very low key with lots of subtlety and nuance throughout. A couple of the side plots didn't fit very well, in my opinion, but other than that, I loved the series.
Old 12-24-14, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Anyone else watching this?

I enjoyed both S1 and S2.

The only downside was there was a long wait between seasons so I had a hard time remembering stuff from S1 when watching S2.

It's definitely a slower-paced show and doesn't have "action", but it's very interesting watching the cat and mouse type stuff and the psychological aspect of the characters.

Highly recommended.
Old 01-16-15, 11:50 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

FYI, the season 2 episodes became available on Netflix today.
Old 01-17-15, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Coral
Anyone else watching this?

I enjoyed both S1 and S2.

The only downside was there was a long wait between seasons so I had a hard time remembering stuff from S1 when watching S2.

It's definitely a slower-paced show and doesn't have "action", but it's very interesting watching the cat and mouse type stuff and the psychological aspect of the characters.

Highly recommended.
I remember almost nothing from season 1.
Old 01-23-15, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

enjoyed Season 1 a lot

but Season 2

Spoiler:
It started off solid, as I slowly tried to remember where we left off, suspense continued, but then by Ep 4 I thought it began to fall apart. i didn't understand what they were trying to do with G Anderson's character, was she a super sleuth detective, was she a Damaged Woman with Daddy issues, was she in love with the killer? she was bed hopping with anyone, including trying to go after Calinda (Archie P), who disappeared after Ep 4 as well. The Ending was bizzarre, why would they handcuff a serial killer to a Cop, why not just keep him fully handcuffed and in the backseat of the car.

And why would G Anderson go help the Serial Killer instead of her Partner first, the guy she just slept with hours before who's lying on the ground?? Who gives a crap about the serial killer at that point, he already confessed, he gave you the location of the missing woman, let him bleed out... help Tom Anderson for crying out loud!

And why would they let anyone question this serial killer without handcuffs, I was expecting him at any moment to go and strangle someone across the table.

Overall, I guess I sorta liked watching it, but was very disappointed in the last two eps.

And what was with that Cut to black ending??
Old 01-26-15, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The whole point of the final scene was showing how fucked up she was and that she ended up feeling more for the mind of this killer than for the people around her. He read her diary and understood her. She understood and sympathized with his childhood. There was more of a connection with him than with any of the persons she used around her.

I thought it was very good until the last few episodes. Why show the killer trying to form alibis when everyone knows there is more than enough evidence to charge him? The whole bit with the teenage girl, grief counseling the victim, a lot of it didn't seem to cohesively fit in.
Old 01-26-15, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts

Off all the crime dramas I watched in the past couple years, this was by far the most "meh...". I don't have much interest in watching S2.
Old 01-26-15, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Off all the crime dramas I watched in the past couple years, this was by far the most "meh...". I don't have much interest in watching S2.
Yeah, I feel the same.
Old 01-26-15, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
The whole point of the final scene was showing how fucked up she was and that she ended up feeling more for the mind of this killer than for the people around her. He read her diary and understood her. She understood and sympathized with his childhood. There was more of a connection with him than with any of the persons she used around her.

I thought it was very good until the last few episodes. Why show the killer trying to form alibis when everyone knows there is more than enough evidence to charge him? The whole bit with the teenage girl, grief counseling the victim, a lot of it didn't seem to cohesively fit in.
I was still onboard until Ep 4 of S2, then it jumped the shark.

I would still recommend S1 which I liked a lot, but wish they just extended that 3 eps and called it a day, seemed like S2 there was a lot of unnecessary filler.
Old 01-26-15, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S! kind of ends without resolution so that would suck. I thought it was decent and was really into the concept of the show.
Old 06-25-16, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Just watched the first two seasons - loved it!

The 3rd and final season wrapped shooting 4 months ago, so it should air soon, probably this Fall.

Old 06-25-16, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The Fall is fantastic and the actor from Fifty Shades of Grey gave an amazing performance as the serial killer. It's available on Blu-ray.

http://doblu.com/2016/03/02/the-fall...lu-ray-review/

http://doblu.com/2016/03/22/fall-ser...lu-ray-review/
Old 06-25-16, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The Fall is fantastic and the actor from Fifty Shades of Grey gave an amazing performance as the serial killer. It's available on Blu-ray.

http://doblu.com/2016/03/02/the-fall...lu-ray-review/

http://doblu.com/2016/03/22/fall-ser...lu-ray-review/
I don't know if you wrote those reviews, but from the series 2 review:

The tense drama builds to a haunting finale that wraps everything up in an unexpected package.
As I noted above, series 3 just wrapped shooting, and that will be the finale.

Here's a teaser for series 3 (no new scenes yet though):

Old 06-26-16, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Series 2 had a pretty definitive, conclusive ending to The Fall's narrative arc. The show was so successful they brought it back for an unplanned series 3.
Old 06-26-16, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They were talking about a 3rd season (in interviews) before the 2nd season even aired.
Old 06-26-16, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure how where the story line will go after the finale of S2 - but I'm in anyway. I enjoyed both seasons.
Old 06-27-16, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
They were talking about a 3rd season (in interviews) before the 2nd season even aired.
Series Two had a clear conclusion to every theme and plot point on the show. Like many British shows, the possibility of another season was always iffy and entirely dependent on the stars, especially Gillian Anderson in this case, being available.

The series two finale was written as a satisfying ending to the show if it never came back. This series three doesn't change that. I look forward to seeing it but they will have to pull a proverbial rabbit out of the hat for its plot to make sense and remain in continuity with what has already been seen.
Old 09-16-16, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Actual season 3 trailer - looks good!

Old 11-04-16, 08:32 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Recently watched The Fall Series 1 & 2 on Blu, and Series 3 via streaming. Incredible BBC thriller. It didn't take that long to watch, and at the same time the storyline didn't seem at all compressed/rushed. Extremely well-done series.

Being a huge X-files fan, it was nice to see Gillian Anderson in a somewhat similar role - in this case, she's an LE investigator in the UK, and affects an authentic British accent. Also interesting to see her character as very sexual; the scene when she propositioned that one young officer she had just met - and later slept with in her hotel room that night - was somewhat of a surprise. Agent Scully would never have acted like that - LOL.

The show itself is extremely disturbing; the forensic elements appear to be extremely well-done & authentic.

Series 1:

I liked the fact that at the end of S1, the serial killer hadn't been caught yet. His covering up his crime & leaving the area was a surprise. Also surprising that the killer as a family man who loves his wife & kids, and has a job as a counselor - and that he's able to keep the two "lives" separate. Most of the serial killers in real life & in previous TV shows/movies are loners & in many cases can't even hold down a regular job - though some have been married.

Going along with this, it was interesting that
Spoiler:
the identity of the serial killer was made obvious at the very beginning of the series, instead of leaving it a mystery. This didn't take away from the effectiveness of the show at all, and instead made it more disturbing - i.e., seeing this guy be a regular "family man" and working as a bereavement counselor, while doing horrific things "after hours".

Series 2:

Extremely disturbing storyline re: the cat & mouse game that the serial killer was playing with the LE;
Spoiler:
though, you could tell they would eventually catch him, you just didn't know how it was going to happen ahead of time.

Spoiler:
One of the favorite sequences was towards the end of S2, when the killer thought he was going to escape after he was attacked by the irate husband & the subsequent shoot out - and then was taken into custody after he left the cordoned-off area.

Going along with this, the sub-plot re:
Spoiler:
having the husband of one of the killer's "customers" at the bereavement center be enraged at him was a brilliant plotline; this culminated in the husband shooting him & the LE officer when they were looking for Rose Stagg in the woods. Excellent finale here, and the killer's serious injuries led to the tense hospital sequences in the beginning of S3.

Series 3:

Excellent finale to the series! And, this final series just illustrates several issues I have with the criminal justice system in general:

1) There was a lot of money & time spent
Spoiler:
on saving the serial killer's life (at the hospital) after he had been shot by the irate husband. This is despite the fact that he had committed many horrific crimes; the GA character wanted him alive so he could stand trial for his crimes - however, he was getting better medical treatment than a lot of poor people do - despite the fact that many of these poor people have never committed crimes.

Spoiler:
Who was paying for this killer's medial treatment?! Neither the killer nor the killer's family was - so, it was obviously the taxpayers, of course.

2) Some criminals who commit horrific crimes are treated as "mentally ill" and coddled as a result, when they instead should be treated as violent criminals.
Spoiler:
I.e., in this show the serial killer should have been in a maximum security prison from the beginning, not in a minimum security mental hospital.

Even after
Spoiler:
he attacked the GA character and the young LE officer at the interview near the end, he still ended up back at the hospital - where he killed another inmate & viciously attacked a doctor - before killing himself. However, none of this would have happened if he had been in a maximum security prison from the beginning.

3) Defense attorneys who are only in it for the money/fame. Obviously everyone out there - no matter their crime - deserves to be represented. However, as illustrated in S3 here, there are some out there who are only interested in representing someone for the fame/notoriety a case will bring them - even if they are 100% sure the defendant is guilty.

Last edited by TheDude; 11-04-16 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-05-16, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Didn't care for the final season. I mean, it wasn't bad, just not as strong as the first two, and it was just dragged out; it could've been 1 or 2 episodes instead of 6.
Old 11-05-16, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

TheDude, I concur on the plot points you brought up. There were a lot of nice touches weaved into the overall narrative. They carefully managed the pacing and reveals.
Old 11-08-16, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished watching S3. Not nearly as good as S1 and S2.

It was ok, but it had many stretches that dragged out. Spector is in custody, so there's only so much they could do. Concentrate on his healing, his psycho-analysis of the past and present, some legal stuff and investigative stuff, etc... but it really limits the appeal. Then we have the Katie plotline that was very unnecessary since it really didn't go anywhere at all. The season could have been done in 4 episodes max.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.