Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Alice in Chains -- "The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here" -- May 28, 2013

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-13, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Track list

1. "Hollow" 5:43
2. "Pretty Done" 4:35
3. "Stone" 4:23
4. "Voices" 5:42
5. "The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here" 6:38
6. "Lab Monkey" 5:59
7. "Low Ceiling" 5:15
8. "Breath on a Window" 5:18
9. "Scalpel" 5:21
10. "Phantom Limb" 7:07
11. "Hung on a Hook" 5:34
12. "Choke" 5:44

Wikipedia

Spoiler:
Background

About the album, guitarist Jerry Cantrell said to Revolver magazine: "I don't think you'll be surprised by anything you hear. ... It's us. But it's also really unique. It's got all the elements of any record we've put out, but it's unlike any record we've put out. Basically, it's the next chapter in the Alice in Chains book, and it's going to be a big one." Cantrell also said to Guitar World: "In my opinion, Black Gives Way to Blue stood up to anything else we've put out in our career. Hopefully, the new album will connect with people in the same way."

Music and lyrics

Jerry Cantrell stated in an interview with Rolling Stone, "We made a unique record that's completely different from anything we ever did. It encapsulates a period of time, like all records do. You see growth and that the band is moving ahead in new territory that we haven't been to before, but we haven't lost our identity."

Cantrell also stated "There's some real filth in there. That's intentional, and that's also just how we sound together. We're trying to make a record that we dig and we're trying to keep the bar high for ourselves and see if we can get past it, and I think that we did again. And of course you want people to dig it too and to respond to it, and to have that start happening is satisfying."
For the lyrics, Jerry Cantrell stated: "The devil put dinosaurs here / Jesus don't like a queer / No problem with faith / Just fear," which appear in the title track. "What's the old joke?" Cantrell said. "There are two things you never want to get into a conversation or argument about: politics and religion. But fuck, I guess we're going to be talking about this for awhile.

Artwork

The cover artwork features the skull of a Triceratops with a second skull image steganographically hidden on a red background. The two skulls, when revealed, combine to form the image of the Devil. "The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here" album title refers to a belief held by some religious individuals that to confuse the masses of humanity, Satan himself planted dinosaur bones deep into the Earth to dissuade the faithful.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9KmYFY5oOvM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Let's have a proper thread. Haven't heard the leak but really looking forward to this one.
Old 05-27-13, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Alice in Chains -- "The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here" -- May 28, 2013

Like I said in the other thread, I liked the last one and this is basically part II. I like the sound, but it isn't grabbing me as much as the last one. Although, that's possibly because I expected the last one to blow because I figured the band was through and it wound up surprising the hell out of me. After I've spun this a half dozen times or so I'll have a better idea of whether or not I like it more than BGWTB.
Old 05-28-13, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Downloading from iTunes now. AIC is one of my favorites bands. I've only listened to the clips but it sounds pretty good so far.
Old 05-28-13, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm enjoying it. But there aren't really any memorable songs.

I mean everyone was pretty "meh" about Hollow being the first single, and at least Stone is catchier as the second one.

But Cantrell needs to pen a couple of killer tunes at some point in this new era.

Your Decision was great from the last record, but that's damn near a Jerry Cantrell solo joint.
Old 05-28-13, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts

First playthrough didn't do much for me. It's certainly not bad, but not as good as the last album for sure.
Old 05-28-13, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts

Was going to download from iTunes today but the CD is cheaper so I'll just pick it up on my way home. Clips sound like more of the same from the last record which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Old 05-28-13, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm just going to say it. Disappointing.
The band sounds great. The harmonies are there. The songs just aren't as good as I would have liked. Scalpel is my favorite, but it would be a middle of the road song on other albums.
Old 05-29-13, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spun this for the first time today. It's a decent record, but as far as the "new" AIC goes BGWTB is a much stronger record. I also liked that BGWTB had a couple songs where the vocals aren't trying to emulate Layne.
Old 05-30-13, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've listened to it a few times. It's a decently solid record but it's missing something. It reminds me way too much of Degradation Trip (volume 3, perhaps?) and Black Gives Way to Blue to stand on it's own. Those are good albums but I was hoping this would bring something fresher to the band. I think the harmonies are overused. Classic AIC had plenty of parts where only one person is singing but that rarely happens on the new album. They got a new lead singer and they have been afraid to really feature him for 2 albums and counting.
Old 05-30-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the harmonies are being used more to mask the lead singer's voice being different than Layne's. When the harmonies are on, you'd be hard pressed to tell it's not the original AIC lineup. But yes I agree there's too much of it. Harmonies only have impact when they are in contrast to non-harmony vocals IMO.
Old 05-30-13, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listened to it today, finally, and the album was just....punishing. Felt like nearly a solid hour of being ground into dust, with very little breaking from that. I was into it for the first song, or so, but by the end, I was gad it was over. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing - if that's you bag, then have at it - just exhausting.

Other than that, for the most part, it sounded like I was back in '93. I would agree that two albums in, it's time to let Willam Duvall cut loose a bit more. What's the point of having a new singer if you aren't going to use him to his full potential? Oh, and yes, Black Gives Way To Blue was a stronger effort.
Old 05-30-13, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 224 Likes on 180 Posts

I'm enjoying it, but so far, nothing has really stood out. I haven't listened to it enough times to really make an informed decision.
Old 05-31-13, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Listening to it on Spotify, not outstanding, but a real solid album. I was going to by the record, but it seems to be going for near $50 ... F-that.
Old 05-31-13, 09:40 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Sounds decent to me. Album title is horrible, though.
Old 06-03-13, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I like all the songs except.....2-Pretty Done, 6-Lab Monkey and 11-Hung On A Hook
Old 07-02-13, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally got a chance to listen to this one and I have to echo all the things you guys are saying. There's nothing really offensive about it, but there's also nothing that really stands out. "All Secrets Known", "Check Your Brain" and "Your Decision" are all stronger than anything on here and it really isn't close. Was really hoping for a lot more.
Old 07-02-13, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Yep, not nearly as good as the last one.

I picked up Degradation Trip Vol 1 & 2 the other day. Damn, it is really good.
Old 07-04-13, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Yep, not nearly as good as the last one.

I picked up Degradation Trip Vol 1 & 2 the other day. Damn, it is really good.
Degradation Trip is excellent. I picked up the new AIC over the weekend. Still some good riffs on there, but agree with some of the other posts that the songs could have developed a little more and it's also time to let Duvall have more of a frontman role. I think he fits well in the band, but he's buried so low in the mix most of the time that you'd think Cantrell was still overdubbing his own backing vocals on most of the tracks.