Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Iceman (D:Law, S: Donnie Yen) (2013)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-13, 10:33 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Looks like a silly ass premise, but I'm a devout follower for all things Donnie Yen. At least the action looks top notch.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QQbpot6v7NQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 05-21-13, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 638 Likes on 492 Posts
Re: Iceman (D:Law, S: Donnie Yen) (2013)

If I could watch Donnie Yen in Mismatched Couples (why is that not on BD?), I can watch him in this.
Old 05-21-13, 11:48 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks stupid and I hate the color timing but damnit. It is Donnie Yen.

Mismatched Couples... Is that the one where has that cool intro and he is dancing about?
Old 05-21-13, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

That trailer doesn't say much about a plot, does it? (Not that any HK movie trailers do.)

This was done before in 1989 as JI DONG JI XIA (THE ICEMAN COMETH), with Yuen Biao, Yuen Wah and Maggie Cheung. The IMDB page asserts that Donnie Yen's new film is a remake of it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097618/reference

I also remember a samurai iceman movie, made in the U.S., called GHOST WARRIOR (1985), in which a samurai warrior is thawed out and brought to the U.S. It starred Hiroshi Fujioka, Japan's first Kamen Rider.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091110/reference
Old 05-21-13, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Mismatched Couples... Is that the one where has that cool intro and he is dancing about?
Yup. I always like to think that the breakdance fighting moment in Zoolander as well as the walk off in the same film are references to Mismatched Couples. I know they're not but that's how I like to see it.
Old 05-21-13, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iceman Cometh was one of my favorite HK actioners back in the day, so I definitely will be giving this one a try.

I hope they keep one of my favorite bits from the earlier film. The hero and villain discover they can't do all their nifty wu xia stunts (fly, catch arrows, etc.) in the modern era. The villain takes up firearms, giving him a distinct advantage over the hero, who clings to honor and the old ways.
Old 05-21-13, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 238 Likes on 171 Posts

Thought it was a remake of that dumb Timothy Hutton's film.
Old 05-21-13, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,237 Likes on 2,087 Posts

I hear Michael Shannon gives a really chilling performance in this!
Old 05-22-13, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 170 Posts

I'll be catching this next week
Old 05-22-13, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 170 Posts

BTW somebody already had a thread going:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...ighlight=house
Old 05-22-13, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
BTW somebody already had a thread going:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...ighlight=house
No way! Elias Koteas is this? I always wanted to see Casey Jones versus Ma Kwun (assuming this is a prequel to SPL)!

Speaking of SPL, it seems that Simon Yam is in this movie.

And it's interesting that the teaser poster of this remake used the title of the original:

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-22-13 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-18-15, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just watched this on Netflix. Man what a frustrating movie this is. Simon Yam and Donnie Yen are wasted in what must have been written and directed by a bipolar and/or schizophrenic. At one point there's a poignant conversation between Donnie Yen and Huang Shengyi about how cultural and racial discrimination are still prevalent after 400 years. However, this is preceded by an action sequence that features Donnie Yen making a toilet bomb out of his literally explosive diarrhea.

The movie just keeps bouncing back and forth like that. There's the broadest slapstick comedy you've ever seen, intercut with flashbacks to Donnie Yen caring for his blind mother and the tragedy of her murder when he was false accused for treason. The whole movie is like this. Poignant moments of a man out of time and his tragic past intercut with dick jokes (how many times did they have to make the same joke of about Shiva's penis?), toilet humor, and ham-fisted pop culture references. If only the movie would just pick one tone and stick with it.

Then there's the action (or rather lack thereof). The bulk of the movie teases at the martial arts prowess of the three chronologically displaced Ming Dynasty guardsmen, He Ying (Donnie Yen), Sao (Wang Baoqiang),and Niehu (Yu Kang) but never lets them cut loose until the very end. And even that final action sequence feels restricted (despite one having shield tossing skills that would make Captain America jealous and the other having a roar attack that would make a potent rival to DC's Black Canary or Marvel's Banshee) since there can be no real stakes in favor of ending everything on a cliffhanger.

Do yourself a favor and stick to the far more enjoyable 1989 version, The Iceman Cometh, starring Yuen Biao, Maggie Cheung, and Yuen Wah.