Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Question about digital comics

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-13, 06:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about digital comics

Does Comixology download anything to your iPad or is it all streaming? I ask because I am trying to decide between a 16 GB iPad or the 32/64 GB models.

Amazon has some graphic novels for the Kindle. However, I noticed on their website that they list Batman: The Court of Owls as only 77 MB. With 7 issues in that graphic novel, that is barely 10 MB per issue. The second volume, City of Owls, is only 95 MB which is only slightly better. Are these graphic novels HD optimized for Retina at all? 10 MB per issue seems low quality considering I have seen pirated scans that were a lot more MB per issue than that.
Old 05-21-13, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts
Re: Question about digital comics

Comixology downloads the files to your iPad. Not sure about the file sizes, but they look good on the retina, you can zoom in pretty close.
Old 05-21-13, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,113 Likes on 681 Posts

Comics was the main reason I stayed away from the iPad. I went with an Android tablet that has a memory card slot. Not only can I hold tons of comics on the hard drive, I can also put whatever I want on memory cards and never touch the hard drive if I don't want to. There are a couple of excellent comic readers for the android as well that I am extremely happy with.
Old 05-21-13, 09:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do any of you guys use comixology with a microsoft surface tablet?
i installed it on a surface pro at the ms store to see what the hd comics look like on the 1080p screen.
but when i rotated the tablet, the comics did not turn with it, like they do on the ipad (i made sure the app was not rotation locked).
i tried to find info on this online but only turned up one post with a similar issue. if its a real problem it sounds like something that wouldnt be too hard to fix with a software update but in the meantime is a deal breaker because the pages look so stupid with all the wasted space. and even so its been like a year without patching it.
Old 05-21-13, 11:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Comics was the main reason I stayed away from the iPad. I went with an Android tablet that has a memory card slot. Not only can I hold tons of comics on the hard drive, I can also put whatever I want on memory cards and never touch the hard drive if I don't want to. There are a couple of excellent comic readers for the android as well that I am extremely happy with.
What Android tablet do you use?

I did consider the Nook HD+ since it has a MicroHD slot, but you are limited to only the B&N store for apps. No Google Store apps...
Old 05-21-13, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think BN caved and you can now get google play on the Nook HDs.
Old 05-21-13, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,113 Likes on 681 Posts

I just bought a cheap Acer A500 (I believe that is it's model #) and have been extremely happy with it. It has 32gb of internal space and then a flash memory slot.

It all depends on what your use for a tablet is. Mine was mainly reading comics and internet surfing. It's perfect for both of those with a hella long battery charge and tons of storage.
Old 05-22-13, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

If you are going to get an iPad, get as much memory as you can afford.
If you are going to look for something other than an iPad, I would probably look into a Samsung tablet.

FWIW, I have a Samsung SII phone and an iPad2 w/ 64gb (30gbs devoted to comics). I like my phone, but I LOVE my iPad. Have several friends who also bought one around the same time and they feel exactly the same. Apple has always made smoothly functioning, slick devices and this is no exception. Can't wait to step up to a retina display.
Old 05-23-13, 07:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by starman9000
I think BN caved and you can now get google play on the Nook HDs.
Holy Moly. You are right. I just looked on the B&N website, and they have indeed updated the Nook HD+ to allow access to the Google store. So the lack of Google apps is no longer a dealbreaker.

So a $269 16 GB Nook HD+ plus a $50 64 GB MicoSD card is still cheaper than a $329 16 GB iPad Mini. I may just get a Nook HD+ now. Does anyone here have one? How good are comics on it?
Old 05-23-13, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have one, but I've used one a little and thought they looked pretty nice on it.

I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger at full price, since they were just on sale for $179 (kicking myself for not getting one, hopefully the do something similar for Fathers Day, but I doubt it.)
Old 05-24-13, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,038 Likes on 856 Posts

There's also a digital comics thread that would be good for this kind of question.
Old 05-25-13, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by taffer
Holy Moly. You are right. I just looked on the B&N website, and they have indeed updated the Nook HD+ to allow access to the Google store. So the lack of Google apps is no longer a dealbreaker.

So a $269 16 GB Nook HD+ plus a $50 64 GB MicoSD card is still cheaper than a $329 16 GB iPad Mini. I may just get a Nook HD+ now. Does anyone here have one? How good are comics on it?
Wait til June 1st, according to SD (you may need to get a membership though):

HD 8 GB ($125)
HD 16 GB ($142)
HD+ 16GB($145)
HD+ 32GB ($165)

http://slickdeals.net/f/6050206-Nook...t-B-N-June-1st
Old 05-26-13, 09:47 AM
Banned

Wait til June 1st, according to SD (you may need to get a membership though):

HD 8 GB ($125)
HD 16 GB ($142)
HD+ 16GB($145)
HD+ 32GB ($165)

http://slickdeals.net/f/6050206-Nook...t-B-N-June-1st
Wow. Thanks for that link. I may just jump on that deal and get a 32 GB since its only $20 more. Add a 64 GB microSD card and that would be 96 GB total for barely over $200.
Old 05-26-13, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If that deal ends up falling through, the 16 gb is $199 at Walmart as well, so a decent fallback option if yours has it.
Old 05-27-13, 02:11 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

That price seems so good that I'm tempted to get one even though my iPad never leaves my hands and my Kindle Fire HD barely gets used.

I have a bunch of B&N gift cards that need to be used anyway...
Old 05-29-13, 09:08 PM
Banned

Is it possible to use a wifi hard drive with an iPad or Android and stream comics directly from the hard drive instead of having the comics on the tablet's internal storage?
Old 05-31-13, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,998 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Is it possible to use a wifi hard drive with an iPad or Android and stream comics directly from the hard drive instead of having the comics on the tablet's internal storage?
I think this would largely depend on the reader you're using being integrated with the service that provides access to the remote drive, and the ability to cache the comic locally or stream a page at a time. For example, I know sometime back that comic reader mobi app was working on a streaming solution, but they got banned from the Apple app store for allowing straight access via USB and never got reinstated, so I haven't followed up.

Comic Zeal allows you to open comics from Dropbox as well.
Old 06-08-13, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That earlier nook deal never took place for non-members but it's up at 149 for the 16GB version today and 179 for the 32 today. It looks like that price will be the same at Target and BB starting tomorrow too.
Old 06-09-13, 06:31 PM
Banned

That earlier nook deal never took place for non-members but it's up at 149 for the 16GB version today and 179 for the 32 today. It looks like that price will be the same at Target and BB starting tomorrow too.
Wal-Mart as well has the Nook HD+ 16 GB for $149 on the front page of this week's ads.
Old 06-12-13, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I ended up grabbing the 16 GB at Target and a 64 gb card to go with it. Even if I only use it for comics I'm already loving it. Can't decide if I want to root it, like it seems like everyone else is. The stock OS seems to be just fine for my needs.

My only real annoyance is that it only has one speaker (or rather 2 speakers in on spot), so watching movies is a bit off without headphones.
Old 06-13-13, 02:31 PM
Banned

Wheeeeee. UPS just delivered my Nook HD+. Man, this thing is a fingerprint magnet. I have only been using it for about an hour, and its already covered in fingerprints. Are all tablets this bad? Other than that, I like it so far. The poor speakers don't bother me since about the only things I will use it for are ebooks and comics.
Old 06-13-13, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My Kindle Fire HD was pretty bad for fingerprints too. I put one of those anti-glare anti-fingerprint screens on it and am happy with it, even though you lose a little of the 'pop' of the beautiful screen. I haven't decided what I want to do yet with the Nook.
Old 06-13-13, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

I have my iPad in an otterbox which comes with a clear plastic screen, which makes it easy to wipe off.
Old 06-14-13, 03:58 PM
Banned

I used my Nook HD+ for 3-4 hours last night and started to get a headache. I didn't think much of it at the time. Today I used my Nook again for a couple hours and started to get another headache.

I googled it and apparently it isn't that uncommon for people to get headaches when using these super high res tablets. The most common solution mentioned was to turn down the brightness, but I already had the brightness at less than 50%.
Old 06-15-13, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's not a good sign.

An anti-glare screen may help, but it's hard to say. Just try to look away from the screen if possible. If you are doing a lot of ebook reading, it may be wise to get an e-ink reader instead.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.