Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Goodwin Games - Season 1 (Mondays on FOX)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-13, 06:34 AM

Received 4,616 Likes on 3,128 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FDec6Tm1Hi8?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The series revolves around a trio of estranged siblings—Henry, an overachieving surgeon, Chloe, a former child prodigy with a smart streak who became the popular girl working at a bar, and Jimmy, an ex-con guitarist with a daughter (and who is in trouble with a loan shark over a debt)—who return home after their father's death. However, prior to his death, their father made a unique arrangement with his will: the siblings will inherit $23 million if they can follow his trivial wishes (through the use of the game Trivial Pursuit, customized with questions about their lives), which means that they have to rediscover their lives and hopefully be the people he wanted his children to be. But they are going to have to deal with competition from another person who was picked by their father and the appointed executor with whom Chloe is a former friend.

The series is created, written and executive-produced by Carter Bays ("How I Met Your Mother"), Craig Thomas ("How I Met Your Mother") and Chris Harris ("How I Met Your Mother"). Peyton Reed ("The Break-Up") also serves as an executive producer and director of the pilot.
Seven episode season. Fox cut the order from 13. This is a one and done, burn off season. Don't expect another.
Old 05-20-13, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Goodwin Games - Season 1 (Mondays on FOX)

I'll watch it with the wife, she loves T.J. Miller.
Old 05-20-13, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought there was a huge bidding war for this? Why is Fox releasing it in the dead zone?
Old 05-20-13, 09:15 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I thought there was a huge bidding war for this? Why is Fox releasing it in the dead zone?
Because the show sucked.

Shitty shows get dumped all the time. They over order shows and find out a. they have no room on the schedule and b. the show sucks.

NBC does this ever year. Can't wait for Save Me - which was one of the first shows picked up last year.
Old 05-20-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

It was always intended to be a mid-season replacement show, I guess Fox canceled less than intended so it gets the burn-off run.

"Silly but charming" is used in a few reviews and fits it, it really is dumb as hell, but inherently watchable in a weird How I Met Your Mother meets Raising Hope kind of way. After watching the first episode I don't know how the show could last as a full-on series, seven episodes seems right.

Anyway, hate away (the pilot has been available for a little while now):

<iframe width="512" height="288" src="http://www.hulu.com/embed.html?eid=3a23zmjiviwbfd1myrjccq" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by RichC2; 05-20-13 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-20-13, 01:44 PM

Received 4,616 Likes on 3,128 Posts

I like all 3 leads. I thought that chick was pretty hot on HIMYM. I don't have anything else going on Mondays so no harm in checking out 7 episodes.
Old 05-21-13, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, the show was pretty bad...and very unfunny at that. I thought the most interesting thing was the intro sequence. I won't be around for round 2.
Old 05-21-13, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 822 Likes on 694 Posts

The cast together actually has some potential, I can see why an executive at some point thought it had a chance. The concept seems very thin for a full season, but I imagine the whole thing would have been quickly re-invented if it were picked up for another season.
Old 05-21-13, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The cast together actually has some potential, I can see why an executive at some point thought it had a chance. The concept seems very thin for a full season, but I imagine the whole thing would have been quickly re-invented if it were picked up for another season.
Would you have guessed HIMYM's premise was good for 9 full seasons?

I admit it was thin but saw where it had potential. I can see where they thought it deserved a green light. I like Becki Newton and TJ Miller although it didn't appear to have legs a few episodes will be worth checking out.
Old 05-22-13, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FDec6Tm1Hi8?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seven episode season. Fox cut the order from 13. This is a one and done, burn off season. Don't expect
another.

Good to see Rocky Dennis is getting some acting work.
Old 05-22-13, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually liked it. It was better than some of the stuff that's on TV now. I was on IMDB and saw a few cast pictures with Jake Lacy (Plop from the last season of The Office) play the TJ Miller role. I guess he was recast after the pilot. Weird.
Old 05-22-13, 12:32 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems as if the creators watched a Wes Anderson movie while drinking and wrote this pilot thinking it was the best idea ever. Scott Foley = Max Fischer, TJ Miller = Dignan, The Girl = stereotypical badly written female character.

Not very good.
Old 06-27-13, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I enjoyed the show for what it was and would continue watching it if more episodes were made, the series finale is coming up on Monday and is directed by Neil Patrick Harris.
Old 06-27-13, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I enjoyed the show for what it was and would continue watching it if more episodes were made, the series finale is coming up on Monday and is directed by Neil Patrick Harris.
Agreed. Actually found it more enjoyable than a couple regular series right now.
Old 06-27-13, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll agree with that, surprisingly well rounded likable characters, sadly hinged on a limited premise. So it's exactly like How I Met Your Mother, but Fox felt it had no chance and chose to burn it off.