Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stories We Tell (2013) (Sarah Polley Documentary)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-13, 07:12 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

I hope this gets a released somewhere in my area soon. I really like Polley's work.

In this inspired, genre-twisting new film, Oscar®-nominated writer/director Sarah Polley discovers that the truth depends on who's telling it. Polley is both filmmaker and detective as she investigates the secrets kept by a family of storytellers. She playfully interviews and interrogates a cast of characters of varying reliability, eliciting refreshingly candid, yet mostly contradictory, answers to the same questions. As each relates their version of the family mythology, present-day recollections shift into nostalgia-tinged glimpses of their mother, who departed too soon, leaving a trail of unanswered questions. Polley unravels the paradoxes to reveal the essence of family: always complicated, warmly messy and fiercely loving. Stories We Tell explores the elusive nature of truth and memory, but at its core is a deeply personal film about how our narratives shape and define us as individuals and families, all interconnecting to paint a profound, funny and poignant picture of the larger human story.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A_8BnZ471GY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>