Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Download my new album--free

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-13, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey all,

I've appreciated interacting in music threads with folks here over the years, and thought I'd offer up my own stuff to you guys. I just put out a new album, and I'm going to make the downloads free for a couple days or so. It's the first 12 songs here, just click "download" for the ones you want.

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/atlanticavox

It's pretty much New Wave/postpunk stuff, heavy 80s influence. I recorded, mixed and mastered everything in my own "studio" (bedroom), so it's not world-class production values, but I think I got an okay sound.

Mods, this is a free offer that I'm not making any money off of, but if it is against the forum rules, I understand if you delete this.
Old 05-17-13, 03:03 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Download my new album--free

Nice.. I'll check it out a little later on today. I always like discovering new music.

Thanks.
Old 05-17-13, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Diggin' it Ky-Fi
Old 05-18-13, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nice! '78 to '83 = best period in music history.
Old 05-18-13, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, guys!
Old 05-18-13, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Nice! '78 to '83 = best period in music history.
That's where I'm comin' from.
Old 05-18-13, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Great job Ky-Fi, thanks for sharing!
Old 05-19-13, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wishbone
Great job Ky-Fi, thanks for sharing!
Thanks, wishbone--glad you liked them!

I'm going to leave these up as free downloads for the rest of the day for folks that still want them.
Old 05-19-13, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really like your voice. And yeah, the music is great.
Old 05-19-13, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, Raul3---greatly appreciated!
Old 05-21-13, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I checked it out - it's not my kind of music, but the sound quality was really good.

I did recommend it to some friends.
Old 05-21-13, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the plug, Tarantino. Appreciated.
Old 05-22-13, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool job Ky-Fi thanks for sharing. Just a couple of comments: is the play order the actual track order as well? I think a better arrangement of the tracks will make the album a better listening experience, basically starting wtih Around Your World and ending with Ovation; you have more slow tempo and melancholy music than up-tempo work and the flow should reflect that.

Also, I would say that I'll Be Your King Tomorrow would be my choice for a single or "most defining" track of your work. I'm personally not a fan of that style of lyrical work, ala Wall of Voodoo, but that's a very good, well made track. The looping is great, the ending is well layered, the chorus stands in it's own place instrumentally from the rest of the track,

Number one thing though with the monotone lyrical styling, you need some instrumental or tonal flare phrasing to randomly pop up during the verses otherwise the repetition becomes too obvious.

Keep on doing great work man, you've definitely got talent!
Old 05-22-13, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll Be Your King Tomorrow is my favorite too.
Old 05-22-13, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks again, guys.

Originally Posted by gmanca
Cool job Ky-Fi thanks for sharing. Just a couple of comments: is the play order the actual track order as well? I think a better arrangement of the tracks will make the album a better listening experience, basically starting wtih Around Your World and ending with Ovation; you have more slow tempo and melancholy music than up-tempo work and the flow should reflect that.

Also, I would say that I'll Be Your King Tomorrow would be my choice for a single or "most defining" track of your work. I'm personally not a fan of that style of lyrical work, ala Wall of Voodoo, but that's a very good, well made track. The looping is great, the ending is well layered, the chorus stands in it's own place instrumentally from the rest of the track,

Number one thing though with the monotone lyrical styling, you need some instrumental or tonal flare phrasing to randomly pop up during the verses otherwise the repetition becomes too obvious.

Keep on doing great work man, you've definitely got talent!
Yes, that is the same order they are on the disc. Regarding your comment that "...you need some instrumental or tonal flare phrasing to randomly pop up during the verses otherwise the repetition becomes too obvious", I'm not sure if you were spefically referring to King Tomorrow, or to my songs in general. I think it could apply to both. I'm a pretty prolific songwriter, but I find myself slipping into kind of formulaic verse/chorus/bridge/solo patterns, and I find that things do get a bit too repetitive. It's kind of a tough call though, because if you go too freeform, you lose the hooks--and too repetetive, it gets uninteresting. I thought I could get away with it a bit on King Tomorrow, because even though it'sa long song, it kind of tells a story, so I thought the narrative of the lyrics would offset some of the repetetive nature of the vocal melody. But your point is well taken, and something I have thought about.

As far as the song order, again, good points. I wrote Ovation and Love Will Give You..at the last minute, because I wanted some more variety on the album. Ovation is really dub-oriented and has a lot of space, and it sounded a lot different than anything on my previous (first) CD. I think you're right that it's not an obvious choice for a first song, but I wanted people who had heard my first CD to get the idea that this CD was going to be covering new ground. So I did have reasons for the song order, but you may be right that a different song order would improve things for the average listener.

And yes, good call--King Tomorrow was definitely Wall of Voodoo influenced---glad you liked that one. Unlike some of the tracks on here, that one came together fairly easily. Every element I added seemed to work without much messing around.

Thanks a lot for the constructive feedback. With recording technology getting so good and cheap the last 10 years or so, it's become a lot easier for independent musicians to get their music out there. The downside is that there's so many people doing it that it's a very crowded field, and really hard just to get listened to at all (especially if, like me, you're not playing live)--and I while I have heard of "sales", I have very little first-hand experience.