Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Cinema Now Questions

Old 05-14-13, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cinema Now Questions

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums.

I've been trying to do research on Cinema Now, specifically the Disc-to-Digital option that they offer.

It sounds like the Walmart option is the better of the two (I believe they use Vudu) however up here in Canada that service isn't set up.

So my question about Cinema Now is: When I convert a DVD to a digital copy does it get added to my Ultraviolet locker, or is it just on Cinema Now? I'm a bit leary of doing anything with them until I'm sure I won't "lose" my movies if the service goes under.

Their live support chat hasn't been too helpful in this regard.

Thank you!
Old 05-14-13, 06:20 PM

Re: Cinema Now Questions

I would guess that one would "lose" their movies is ANY service goes under! Nothing is really safe in the DRM age (in my opinion) which is why I still prefer to buy physical media.
Old 05-14-13, 06:23 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

Have you tried Flixster? They also have a UV Disc-to-Digital service.

I haven't used the CinemaNow D2D software. So I'm not 100% certain. But I'm pretty sure it's the same as Vudu and Flixster. Here's the blurb from their software page:

NEW - Try our limited Disc to Digital beta test and convert your DVDs to UltraViolet™ digital movies.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 05-14-13 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-14-13, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by AdamGott
I would guess that one would "lose" their movies is ANY service goes under! Nothing is really safe in the DRM age (in my opinion) which is why I still prefer to buy physical media.
If you buy a movie anywhere that's Ultraviolet compatible, it goes into your UV account. So even if Best Buy shut down CinemaNow, you could still watch it at other services that offer UV (Vudu, Flixster, etc).
Old 05-14-13, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome to the Forum.... by the way we have a Streaming Talk section that has a lot of good information about streaming services, players, and content. Check that section out if you haven't already.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk-75/
Old 05-14-13, 07:46 PM

It looks like the Flixster service is US only. That seems to be the biggest issue right now.
Old 05-14-13, 09:28 PM

Flixster should be available in the US, Canada and the UK.
Old 05-15-13, 01:16 PM

Just heard back from Flixster support. The Disc to Digital isn't available in Canada yet. So it looks like my only option is to use Cinema Now.
Old 05-15-13, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to use Cinema Now for Fast Five since Vudu and Flixster both wouldn't recognize my disc.

The service is ok, it works now, but it took me nearly 3 months of back and forth between CinemaNow customer service along with the CS folks at Flixster and UV to fix the issues I was having from using it on my Flixster app. It was ridiculous.

Linking anything from CinemaNow to Flixster is a giant pain in the ass, so YMMV.
Old 05-17-13, 12:44 AM

I agree with TheBigDave; UltraViolet does give you an extra level of protection. Bottom line, in Canada, is that there are no other options for disc to digital; and, cinemanow is the only option on xbox and ps3 that i know of. The Cinemanow Disc to Digital works OK; but it looks like they are missing a lot of movies. Their customer support site says that they only have Warner, Universal and Sony movies available for disc to digital... that probably explains why it is a "beta" test! I did PM cinemanowca on twitter and they mentioned that movies from paramount and fox are coming soon.
Old 04-14-15, 02:39 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

So does CinemaNow ever have sales? I get Vudu sales weekly (and they have a daily deal) but I don't see anything coming from CN since I was forced to move over from Target Ticket.
Old 04-19-15, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by AdamGott
How true! I noticed Target Ticket said people would receive credit for content NOT available. So it looks like some lost some things.

From http://www.targetticket.com/

If you have purchased digital movies/TV shows from Target Ticket, you may access your eligible content on CinemaNow. You will receive a credit from CinemaNow for any purchased content that is not available or eligible to be transferred to their service. Please go directly to CinemaNow at CinemaNow.com/TargetTicket and follow the instructions provided.
Old 04-20-15, 06:36 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1977
How true! I noticed Target Ticket said people would receive credit for content NOT available. So it looks like some lost some things.

From http://www.targetticket.com/

If you have purchased digital movies/TV shows from Target Ticket, you may access your eligible content on CinemaNow. You will receive a credit from CinemaNow for any purchased content that is not available or eligible to be transferred to their service. Please go directly to CinemaNow at CinemaNow.com/TargetTicket and follow the instructions provided.
They did give me a $20 credit but that doesn't cover the $60+ I spent on TT exclusives... Plus their prices are higher than TT or Vudu.