Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which Is Worse: Star Trek I or V?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Worse Film: Star Trek I or V?
The Motion Picture (1979)
33.33%
The Final Frontier (1989)
66.67%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-13, 01:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought the TOS film collection on Blu-Ray, and watched the first four in order last night. In my opinion, "The Motion Picture" still sucks. Its way too slow, and barely anything happens in the whole thing until Decker merges with the V'Ger satellite. I thought they'd improve some of the FX work for the HD release, but the early shots still look terrible. The live-action stuff looks awesome, but the story just feels pointless. I haven't seen "Final Frontier" in a long time, but I'm off to it now; will post afterward.

So, let's hear your thoughts, and why. Sound off...
Old 05-02-13, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Which Is Worse: Star Trek I or V?

5 was bad...but ONE was a complete mess.
Old 05-02-13, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Haven't seen either in years, but I remember I as being slow and boring and V as not all that bad. I kind of liked it when I saw it in theaters, and didn't anticipate the reputation it would subsequently receive.
Old 05-02-13, 01:58 PM

V is a terrible, terrible movie outside of the opening. Everything completely falls apart and is laughably bad.

I can understand disliking ST:TMP, but I give it credit for trying to say something and taking itself seriously. Whether it accomplishes this is up to debate, and it's incongruous with the entries that followed. But it's hard for me to call it a bad movie.
Old 05-02-13, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a great poll. I was just thinking about this yesterday as I bought VI as I already have the Spock and TNG sets. I saw 1 about 20 years ago and I remember it as being like shocking slow. You get done with it and it's like how did they stretch that into holy crap it was 132 minutes. It like the took a random episode and saw how long they could stretch it without adding anything to the plot. Were it an episode it would rank in the middle of the pack. Now 5, that was a mess. I tried watching that about 5 years and 10 minutes in I just announce the This is the worst directed movie I've ever seen. It's like are you kidding me Shatner? What are you trying to say with that meshuga camera angle and reveal? Now I don't try to watch bad movies, but Star Trek V, Elektra, and some foreign musical comedy about a hostage situation at a grocery store an ex made me watch are the 3 worse movies I remember seeing.
Old 05-02-13, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting question. I chose TMP as is is one of the most interminably slow moving and boring movies I've ever seen. V is awful but at least moves. On the other hand TMP has a very distinct and interesting visual design which is somewhat of a mitigating factor while V is really dull looking.
Old 05-02-13, 02:09 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Which one is V? Is that after the whale one?
Old 05-02-13, 02:12 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Which one is V? Is that after the whale one?
It's the "What does God need with a starship?" one (or something like that).
Old 05-02-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Star Trek I is much different than the following films. Could its pace have been tightened up in places? Yes. (And it was with the Director's Cut from 2001). But, there are a lot of redeeming qualities to it. It takes advantage of The Motion Picture *being* a motion picture and soaks in the vastness of space and the grandeur of the remodeled Enterprise. There's mystery and allure here. There's time for these beloved characters to reunited after 10 year off screen. Compare this to Star Trek: Insurrection, which is really just a two hour TNG episode that happens to be shot in 2.35:1. TMP is not everyone's cup of tea, the way 2001: A Space Odyssey isn't for everyone. I didn't like it when I was 13, but as I grew up, it's grown on me.

Star Trek V? I'll say this: Kevin Smith could have done a better directing job.
Old 05-02-13, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by cleaver
some foreign musical comedy about a hostage situation at a grocery store
I wanna know more about that movie.
Old 05-02-13, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1 tmp and it's not even close. I would watch 5 every time if forced to watch one. It has humor and shows off the relationships of the main characters. Only way I would watch TMP is if I had insomnia.
Old 05-02-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Also the only similarity between 1 and 5 beyond their lack of popularity is that they are both very similar to two Original Series episodes. The Motion Picture has a lot in common with season 2's "The Changeling" and The Final Frontier has mucho in common with season 3's "The Way to Eden".
Old 05-02-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattflix
V is a terrible, terrible movie outside of the opening. Everything completely falls apart and is laughably bad.

I can understand disliking ST:TMP, but I give it credit for trying to say something and taking itself seriously. Whether it accomplishes this is up to debate, and it's incongruous with the entries that followed. But it's hard for me to call it a bad movie.
Yeah, that's sort of how I feel. V was just a lazy mess. ST:TMP tried to say some important, thoughtful things and tried to bring the series to the world of post-Star Wars features. It's not a very good film, doesn't make a wnole lot fo sense and is not really interesting, but at least they were trying.
Old 05-02-13, 02:39 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't think either one is that bad, but TMP is pretty boring.
Old 05-02-13, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nemesis.
Old 05-02-13, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I voted V.

I remember back when it was released theatrically it was just cool seeing Star Trek on the big screen. The effects were cool (for their time) and the sound sure beat a tv. Sure, it's shortcomings are valid, but I still enjoy it more than V.
Old 05-02-13, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I love TMP. It's the most ambitious and cinematic of all the Trek films. Flawed, yes, at times perhaps a noble failure, but it attempted something grand and if it fell short, it still remains an epic adventure true to the spirit of Star Trek and Roddenberry's vision.

Trek V is teh poo

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 05-02-13 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-02-13, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

#1 was a deeply flawed attempt to do something ambitious.

#5 was a deeply, deeply flawed to do something brainless and juvenile.
Old 05-02-13, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

TMP may be my favorite ST film, precisely for having goals *opposite* to those of a summer action blockbuster. It's not at all slow--for a Robert Wise roadhouse scenery epic. I lump it in with Sound of Music & Sand Pebbles more than with the Star Trek films to follow. I only wish it had an intermission as well as the overture.

Last edited by adamblast; 05-02-13 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-02-13, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by aintnosin
Old 05-02-13, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

Originally Posted by adamblast
TMP may be my favorite ST film, precisely for having goals *opposite* to those of a summer action blockbuster.
Maybe because it came out in the *opposite* of Summer?

Release date December 7, 1979.
Old 05-02-13, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by aintnosin
#1 was a deeply flawed attempt to do something ambitious.

I would say that many parts of part 5 do come off as juvenile and brainless, yet the basic story Shatner started with SHOULD have made the best Star Trek movie.

The concept of 'finding god at the center of the universe" should have been Star Trek gold if it was handled correctly.

As I said in another thread The Motion Picture just pushed scope/sound at the expense of the characters/story.
Old 05-02-13, 03:33 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

It's a good question because both films are bad for such totally different reasons. One is lavish while the other is cheap, one is filled with ponderous pretense while the other has the depth of a bad tv episode.
Old 05-02-13, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

The Motion Picture is a fantastic looking movie with poor characterzations. Shatner's Final Frontier gets the characters right, but the movie is a visual mess (primarily due to the special effects, but there are other issues too).

But for entertainment value, Star Trek V is the better movie...just because it has some better ideas (granted, they failed to develop them, but there's still some stuff to like). It also features DeForest Kelley's best scene in any of his six Star Trek films (and, no, NOT the one where he sings!).
Old 05-02-13, 03:51 PM
Banned

Well, I just finished watching "Final Frontier", and its not near as bad as I remember. The story is somewhat misguided (especially the "God's in here" line from Kirk), but its way ahead of the painfully slow "Motionless Picture". Sybok was a seeker of truth, but failed to face his own fears, and the evil alien exploited them. The film never details it, but there was probably a good reason why that being was imprisoned in the first place. I'd compare it more to Satan than God, since it was consumed by selfishness.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.