Reload this Page >

Let's talk about the movies you just watched

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 04-29-13, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

So I'm not really sure where exactly to post this, but saw the movie review section and it gets no action and the "Last DVD Watched" only lists the movies, but no reviews or talk. I would love to talk about the movies we just watched and get some back and forth conversations going, this way as a way to recommend movies to watch and also to save people from buying the movies with some discussions. I love watching movies, as I'm sure many of you do, so hopefully this can be a fun thread. I've recently just bought a bunch of low budget horror movies from Best Buy and Wal*Mart so I'm hoping to find others who just stock pile movies and looking to talk about them. Anyways, here's my thoughts on some movies I bought recently:

The Return of the Living Dead (Collector's Edition Blu-Ray): I may have seen bits and pieces of it before, but this is the first time I remember watching it from start to end. There were some good parts to it, some pretty funny one liners, and watching the special features, it did bring comedy to horror as well as zombies eating brains. I was expecting a bit more from it, seeing as this is one of those must see horror films, and felt it was a bit of a let down. The ending was funny, though. I'd give it a 3/5 stars.

ATM (DVD copy): I bought the movie as it seemed to have a great premise and I kind of like Josh Peck. Peck's character, though, was a complete asshole and it made no sense for some of the actions he did. I'm sure everyone has a douchebag of a friend and that's what his character was. While the movie had potential, it was pretty much a bomb. 1/5 stars.

Love Me (DVD) Another movie I bought because of the person in it: Lindsey Shaw. Been a fan of hers (even though she does sound like a guy) since Ned's Declassified. The story was so-so, typical high school drama, no one trusting anyone. The movie did throw you in a loop and I was wrong about the killer. Nothing amazing, but nothing TOO terrible. I would have liked to see more scenes with Lindsey's friend and the Lucas Green character, but what can you do. I'd give it 2/5 as the killer took me for a loop, even though that didn't make too much sense.

Got a few more to rattle off, including John Dies at the End so please feel free to chime in on your thoughts of movies I named or anything you are currently watching.
Old 05-01-13, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Let's talk about the movies you just watched

The Day (Blu-Ray copy): For a WWE Studios film, this was actually really good. Nothing ground breaking or new, but it's a really good end of times film. The acting is really good, the story doesn't drag on, there's no plot holes or anything, and Ashley Bell is a complete bad ass in this film. Worth a watch. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Crush 2013 (Blu-Ray copy): This was another surprising pick up. It's got a Swimfan meets May type of film. It's your typical girl has a crush on guy, goes crazy, teenage flick, but the acting isn't too bad and the script isn't horrible. For an independent film, it's worth checking out. A good 2.5 out of 5 stars.

John Dies at the End (Blu-Ray copy): I was really excited to see this film because of all the hype around it and I was not disappointed. It's got a new age Bill & Ted feel to it. All the actors did an amazing job, the script flowed, and it was a fun watch. Nothing TOO scary, but some creepy creatures. My only problem was the sound on the disc. I had to play with closed caption to get everything. Other than that, it was pretty epic. 4 out of 5 stars.

Shadow People (DVD copy): I saw it had Milton from The Walking Dead so I decided to pick it up. The story was interesting and it was titled as "based on a true phenomenon" and I'm a sucker for those types of films. However, the acting was horrible and the story was slow. It had a few good parts, but overall, something wasn't clicking. Actors seemed to give it a half ass performance or maybe the script was just that bad. Either way, it was disappointing as the story seemed to be there. 1.5 out of 5 stars.