The Americans -- "The Oath" -- 4/24/13

Old 04-24-13, 07:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Americans -- "The Oath" -- 4/24/13

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Episode 12 - "The Oath" (Airs April 24, 10:00 pm e/p) - One of Elizabeth's agents has key intel for sale, but she and Philip find themselves taking increasingly greater risks for what could well be a set-up. Meanwhile, Stan's pursuit of Directorate S suddenly begins to yield unexpected results. Written by Joshua Brand & Melissa James Gibson; directed by John Dahl.

Episode 12 of 13
Old 04-25-13, 07:55 AM
Banned

Re: The Americans -- "The Oath" -- 4/24/13

Surprised no one commented on this yet. Awesome episode. Lots of things set up for the finale and into season 2 as I'm sure they won't wrap everything up next week. Loved the pretend wedding between Martha and Phillip. Elizabeth wondering what would have been if her and Phillip had a real wedding.

Nina I think figured out that Stan killed Vlad and then admitting she's a mole. Very strange but I think they'll use her as they think it is an advantage to get info.

Viola admitting she bugged the office and now the FBI has sketches which could be bad for Phillip and Elizabeth. I was wondering if they were going to revisit Viola at some point and I'm glad they did.

I'm hoping
Spoiler:
Margo Martindale stays on as Granny as I read Alan Sepinwall's review where he said she's signed on to do a CBS sitcom starting next fall so her character may be written or killed off.
Old 04-25-13, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No surprise on nina, she was starting to play double a few episodes ago.
Old 04-25-13, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I made that comment about Nina a few weeks ago too. It was expected that she would become a double agent.

So far this season has been almost perfect.
Old 04-26-13, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Lots of double-bluffs and potential double-agent action. It will be interesting to see how it plays out next week.
Old 04-26-13, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess they held the wedding reception at the Regal Beagle.
Old 04-26-13, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did anyone feel the exchange between Nina and Stan came off a little weird? They're undressed ready to have sex, she accuses him of murdering Vlad, he's startled but still denies it, then she drops it completely and they continue their business.

I was expecting Stan to get nervous, or she would play cold for a while, or something.
Old 04-26-13, 05:07 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Originally Posted by Gambit
Did anyone feel the exchange between Nina and Stan came off a little weird? They're undressed ready to have sex, she accuses him of murdering Vlad, he's startled but still denies it, then she drops it completely and they continue their business.

I was expecting Stan to get nervous, or she would play cold for a while, or something.
That was the moment she knew. She might have had doubts coming in, but his reaction drove the final nail.
Old 04-26-13, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by macnorton
That was the moment she knew. She might have had doubts coming in, but his reaction drove the final nail.
Exactly. That little pause and she knew. She can't let him know she knows plus she probably does still love him. Remember she thinks of him as a cop not a spy, so she probably thinks the government forced him to do it.
Old 04-27-13, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup she knows. The question now is, does he knows that she knows?

Hmm. Probably?
Old 04-28-13, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One problem I have with this show is the marital trouble storyline. Here we have these 2 expert spies who have not only been 'married' for years, but also put on these disguises and form relationships with other people, yet they can't hold it together enough to live under the same roof?

I realize it's TV and there needs to be conflict and such, but I often find this plot thread ridiculous. I'm ok with there being strife, but I think it would be much more interesting if they made themselves both stay in the house to keep up appearances. You'd think all of this running around to the house and the apartment and the kids would be detrimental to the job.
Old 04-28-13, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by CharlieK
One problem I have with this show is the marital trouble storyline. Here we have these 2 expert spies who have not only been 'married' for years, but also put on these disguises and form relationships with other people, yet they can't hold it together enough to live under the same roof?

I realize it's TV and there needs to be conflict and such, but I often find this plot thread ridiculous. I'm ok with there being strife, but I think it would be much more interesting if they made themselves both stay in the house to keep up appearances. You'd think all of this running around to the house and the apartment and the kids would be detrimental to the job.
I don't agree with this. The show made the point very early on, the two of them were much more comfortable working then being with each other. They started to come together, as if their relationship was starting from the beginning. But because they "know" each other so well, the past life creeps in and creates a lot of doubt.

For me, it is because of this part in the story that gives both characters a huge amount of depth.
Old 04-28-13, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I see what you're saying, and I do like the depth this storyline brings, I'm just finding it hard to believe that these two super spies can't live together while they sort this out. They've been together 15+ years, had sex at least twice to produce these kids, all while not 'feeling' traditional spousal love. Then in the course of a few months, things come to such a head that they feel they need to separate? It just doesn't ring true to me. I mean, she can set aside these confused feelings and attend the wedding of her husband to another woman, but can't put up with him in the same house?

It's a minor point, and I'm really enjoying the show, I just thought I'd throw it out there.
Old 04-28-13, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieK
I see what you're saying, and I do like the depth this storyline brings, I'm just finding it hard to believe that these two super spies can't live together while they sort this out. They've been together 15+ years, had sex at least twice to produce these kids, all while not 'feeling' traditional spousal love. Then in the course of a few months, things come to such a head that they feel they need to separate? It just doesn't ring true to me. I mean, she can set aside these confused feelings and attend the wedding of her husband to another woman, but can't put up with him in the same house?

It's a minor point, and I'm really enjoying the show, I just thought I'd throw it out there.
Ok now I have a much better understanding of your point. Again, in the spy world you are only as good as the people you trust. Philip lied to Elizabeth, after he truly started to connect with her. Elizabeth, more than likely, took this as yet another betrayal of the people she cares about most. And thus, out he goes.

Also, it wouldn't be too unusual for them to separate, since we all know that was the rage in the 80's.