Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

receiver suggestions around $400

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-13, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few in mind and wanted some input

Yamaha RX-V673
Onkyo TX-NR616
Sony STR-DN1030

I would like to connect to the internet wirelessly and the sony is a plus since a dongle isnt needed. However, this isn't necessary.

Other than that, I can't really distinguish between the three.

If there are others you would recommend, please do.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-13-13, 08:18 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts
Re: receiver suggestions around $400

I'm using the Yamaha RX-V671 and I like it a lot. I'm not a techno/audiophile, so I can't tell you if the Yamaha receiver is any better than those other brands. But it works well in my home theater. It was simple to set-up, easy to use and it sounds great. And I'd buy another Yamaha if I was looking for a replacement.
Old 04-13-13, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Onkyo has been having all sorts of problems with recent models, including that one. I hate to say this, I am running an Onkyo and recommend them all the time. But this might not be the right time.

Sony makes crap for the audio side. I just haven't been impressed by anything they've made in the receiver dept for over a decade.

Yamaha is usually solid for the audio. Denon 1913 could be an option, also.

Depending on what you want to listen to from the internet, using an add-on like Roku might be an option. The networking is probably more stable from a device like this than whatever is built into any receiver.

What else is on your feature list?
Old 04-16-13, 02:34 PM

Youu could check out http://www.accessories4less.com and look at some of the refurb units. there are some great deals.
Old 04-16-13, 06:15 PM

I ended up going with the yamaha, thanks for the suggestions.
Old 04-16-13, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I'm using the Yamaha RX-V671 and I like it a lot. I'm not a techno/audiophile, so I can't tell you if the Yamaha receiver is any better than those other brands. But it works well in my home theater. It was simple to set-up, easy to use and it sounds great. And I'd buy another Yamaha if I was looking for a replacement.

Second Big Dave...we have the Yamah RX-V671 as well and couldn't be happier. it replaced 8yr old Dennon (actually re-located). The entire layout front and back is really good. The user on-sceen setup and interface is really easy and fine tuning on sound can be done auto and manual just gives you some serious choices.

I wanted one with internet connection for updates and to alo use Windows Media Player to play the MP3 collection thru...which I do thru the Xbox 360 as well. Yamaha has always been known for the outstanding sound fileds and the unit does almost everything. You get USB and Ipod connections. Nothing wrong with Dennon at all but the unit I wanted was $100 more than this and both had about the same power ratings. I'm a Yamaha fan as I was long, long time ago.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...eceivers-amps/
Old 04-17-13, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

does the yamaha convert component video to 1080p?
Also, with the "2 zones" thing, can it output two video signals at the same time? do they both have to be HDMI or can it send a down-converted SD signal over composite?

I wanted the Onkyo originally but now reading about its problems, i'm looking at others like the Yamaha
Old 04-17-13, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like the RX-V673 does convert, up to 4k if you want. No, it cannot output 2 video sources at once. Zone 2 is analog audio only. This is the same on almost every receiver at any price, only the top 3 current onkyos (xx10 models) and most recent Denon/Marantz products have dual video out.

I guess everyone is getting into this. The top Yamahas also offer dual HDMI video out, now. But you have to step up to the $800 or higher range to get it. That's actually the cheapest I've seen. I'm going to have to study Yamaha some more.

Last edited by Spiky; 04-18-13 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-18-13, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I was looking at pictures of the back panels and the Yamahas like the V673 does have a composite "monitor" output for video and stereo. I couldnt find anything where it said if it would output 480i to those output at the same time as output 1080p to the HDMI out.
I cant see the tv from the kitchen and would like to be able to have it play the same feed as the living room TV. The tv in the kitchen is old, only has coax and composite inputs (not even stereo)
Old 04-18-13, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Yamaha should be able to output both, but I'm sure it won't downconvert from an HDMI input. You'd need to have both composite and HDMI output from the source.
Old 04-20-13, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I don't know myself since most everything we have is output at 1080. But...the Xbox does output games at 720 and AT&T Uverse on the non-HD channels.

We have one HDMI cable from the 671 to our Panny plasma and the XBox, AT&T and BR Player are all connected via HDMI. The upconversion of normal DVD's thru the BR Player (Panasonic) is excellent. The non-HD channels thru Uverse is ok and does the job but I seldom view it. It does have 3D pass thru as well and looks great.

Ty looking over in the AVS Forums receivers....
http://www.avsforum.com/f/
Old 04-20-13, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matt.train
Youu could check out http://www.accessories4less.com and look at some of the refurb units. there are some great deals.
This.
I bought a refurb Marantz there for about 1/2 of retail new price....it's the best sounding receiver I've owned (have had onkyo, Yamaha, and Sony over the years. The Yamaha was a close second)
Old 04-20-13, 08:32 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by edclem
This.
I bought a refurb Marantz there for about 1/2 of retail new price....it's the best sounding receiver I've owned (have had onkyo, Yamaha, and Sony over the years. The Yamaha was a close second)
Ditto. We bought a Marantz SR-14EX from accessories4less.com many years ago. It still serves as a beast multichannel amp, although finally retired from primary use in order to update to HDMI.

If you already got the Yamaha, just make sure it's got an OSD (on-screen-display) pass-through feature. Otherwise, depending on your video display system, it may not readily pickup the receiver's menu system over HDMI.
Old 04-22-13, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by edclem
This.
I just upgraded my Marantz 5005 to a 7007 and was going to go through them. I was all set but i got a good offer from Best buy and got it from them.

If anybody wants a nice 5005 in good shape let me know.