Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Happy National 8-Track Day!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-12-13, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

8 mind-blowing facts about 8-tracks
By HLNtv.com Staff
updated 5:35 PM EDT, Thu April 11, 2013

Happy National 8-Track Day! Before iPods, before CDs, even before cassette tapes, 8-tracks were THE way to listen to your music on the go. Ask your parents (or, gulp, grandparents) about them. Maybe they'll regale you with tales of falling in love while listening to their favorite song -- only to have it cut off for a few seconds in the middle of the tune. In any case, here are eight things you might not know about these music-conveyors of yore.
http://www.hlntv.com/slideshow/2013/...ic?hpt=hp_bn17

I don't know about "mind-blowing" facts but interesting nonetheless:
Spoiler:
# The official name of the cartridge we all know and love as the 8-track is the “Stereo 8.”

# The 8-track was invented by a group led by Bill Lear, who founded the Lear Jet Corporation.

# The first Stereo 8 cartridge was released in 1965, the same year the Beatles released "Help!" and "Rubber Soul."

# Also in 1965, the Ford Motor Company introduced 8-track players as an option in its 1966 model year Mustangs, Lincolns and Thunderbirds.

# After a good run, 8-track displays were phased out of most U.S. retail stores by the early 1980s.

# Though there is some debate among fanatics, many people believe that the last commercial 8-track released by a major label was Fleetwood Mac's "Greatest Hits" in November 1988.

# There is a museum devoted entirely to 8-tracks in Dallas, Texas.

# An 8-track -- "Easter Everywhere" by Texas psych-rock group 13th Floor Elevators -- is currently for sale on eBay for $1,999.00.
I grew up with vinyl and cassette tapes so I missed out on the 8-track era but I did find a copy of Candy-O by The Cars when I was delivering newspapers in the '80s. I think a friend's brother had a player but the 8-track was weathered from the elements and would not play.
Old 04-12-13, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts
Re: Happy National 8-Track Day!

It was yesterday! I missed it! Thanks for nothing!