TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Glee -- "Shooting Star" -- 4/11/13

Old 04-12-13, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Glee -- "Shooting Star" -- 4/11/13

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

As the glee club prepare for Regionals, an unthinkable event puts things into perspective.

Episode 18 of 22

For the few who care, this aired last night. Forgot to do it.
Old 04-12-13, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Re: Glee -- "Shooting Star" -- 4/11/13

I thought this was intense as hell. It was well-shot, well-acted. I really felt a sense of danger.

And though it ended up being a little trite, I don't know how they could have recovered from a full-blown massacre in the school. It ended up being more of an "incident" but it was still extremely powerful.

The texting and tweeting really struck home. How nowadays that's exactly what would happen and it could make things that much more horrifying.

Anyway, though it was pretty dark for a Glee episode, I really think they did a good job with it.
Old 04-12-13, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, this week's episode took a twisted turn. Felt a little tasteless though it was suspenseful. The stories at the school feel like they're making it up as they go along. This switching Sue from good to bad like a lamp has worn itself off. The little Cheerio has become one odd character.
Old 04-12-13, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought this was intense as hell. It was well-shot, well-acted. I really felt a sense of danger.
Same here, although I waited for "preachy-ness" of the creators, I couldn't quite understand what side they were on.

I can't wait to see who is catfishing Ryder.

This switching Sue from good to bad like a lamp has worn itself off.
Completely agree. Is she done with the show?

Last edited by boogieman03; 04-12-13 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-12-13, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked some of the acting in this episode and I agree it was well shot. The part with Sue and Becky wasn't carried out well and I hope the truth comes out about what really happened.
Old 04-12-13, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by boogieman03
Same here, although I waited for "preachy-ness" of the creators, I couldn't quite understand what side they were on.

I can't wait to see who is catfishing Ryder.

Completely agree. Is she done with the show?
Agreed on all counts. The scene with them locked in the room was extremely tense.

I'm curious about the Ryder storyline too.

I'm done with the character of Sue. The first season was great, it's been all downhill ever since. If this was actually her swan song, I'd be fine with it.
Old 04-12-13, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

The scenes were tense and for the most part effective, but I found myself slightly offended by the idea of last night's show. Not b/c it's too soon or anything like that, but more b/c I don't think a show like Glee really has the right to do something like that.

I feel like this show wants it both ways all too often. It not real; the characters are cartoons, except when we need them to be real and not cartoons.
Old 04-12-13, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Very Special episode of Glee.
Why did this need to be on a Musical show?
Old 04-12-13, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Let's see, the show has featured teen pregnancy, extreme bullying, eating disorders, violence in schools, domestic violence and more.

Why exactly can't they tackle this topic too? Especially how they did it - it wasn't someone stalking the halls and shooting everyone in sight. It was a scary moment but no one was actually hurt. Being "back to normal" next week is realistic.
Old 04-12-13, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Let's see, the show has featured teen pregnancy, extreme bullying, eating disorders, violence in schools, domestic violence and more.
To me most of those storylines have been particularly ham-handed as well.
Old 04-13-13, 01:25 AM

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven

And though it ended up being a little trite, I don't know how they could have recovered from a full-blown massacre in the school. It ended up being more of an "incident" but it was still extremely powerful.

The texting and tweeting really struck home. How nowadays that's exactly what would happen and it could make things that much more horrifying.
Totally agree. After watching it I was kind of surprised to hear about the uproar from the New Town families the next day. I mean how many people even watch this show anymore for anyone to care?

They did a fantastic job showing us what it must be like from the perspective of someone in a school while a shooting takes place, far better than any of the films that came out after Columbine.

But then they shit all over it by tying it into the stupid Sue/Becky/Downs Syndrome crap.

Why couldn't they have made one of the 30 primary characters on the show have a meltdown and lose it? I would have love seeing 'Unique' be the one or even Coach Bieste. This show has so many people you could have stuck into that role that would have been believable and instead it all gets written off as some joke on the NRA. God forbid this show ever actually be good.

For those of you who think Sue isn't coming back, sorry but they still have to resolve the whole storyline of Blaine being a secret spy. I'm sure she'll be back before the season finale.
Old 04-13-13, 04:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Agreed on all counts. The scene with them locked in the room was extremely tense.

I'm curious about the Ryder storyline too.

I'm done with the character of Sue. The first season was great, it's been all downhill ever since. If this was actually her swan song, I'd be fine with it.
I said I had given up on the show, but I watched this after hearing the "controversial subject matter"

As for Sue, if this is the end of her character and story arch, I thought the writers did it well.
Old 04-14-13, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the AV Club...
http://www.avclub.com/articles/shooting-star,95802/

"It’s the cheapness that nauseates me".
Old 04-17-13, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I watched this last night (mostly fast forwarded through the junk). Good perspective on what it must be like living through that situation.

I was hoping it would have been a fire cracker - but the whole Becky brings in a gun

Why did she bring it in???? I have no idea how this ties into her feeling afraid of leaving the school.

I hope this is the end of Sue - good way to go out, and agree that her flip flopping from evil to sugar sweet is a bit old.
Old 04-17-13, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez, what a terrible episode. I mean, to introduce this type of situation, to this type of show is so wrong. Brittany just gets done telling us about her cat trying for world domination, and the next thing we're seeing is her panicking about a gun going off in the school.

What a shambles this show has become in season 4. Please end this soon!