Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Saga #12 banned by Apple

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-13, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Saga #12 banned by Apple

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/...anned-by-apple

It's not the first time this has happened and it probably won't be the last, but following up Apple's ban of Sex #1 on Comixology's iOS app, Apple is now prohibiting sale of Saga #12. Why? According to writer Brian K. Vaughan, for two "postage stamp-sized" depictions of gay sex.

From BKV's press release:

Annoying press release thing: APPLE vs. SAGA #12

As has hopefully been clear from the first page of our first issue, SAGA is a series for the proverbial “mature reader.” Unfortunately, because of two postage stamp-sized images of gay sex, Apple is banning tomorrow’s SAGA #12 from being sold through any iOS apps. This is a drag, especially because our book has featured what I would consider much more graphic imagery in the past, but there you go. Fiona and I could always edit the images in question, but everything we put into the book is there to advance our story, not (just) to shock or titillate, so we’re not changing s**t.

Apologies to everyone who reads our series on iPads or iPhones, but here are your alternatives for Wednesday:

1) Head over to you friendly neighborhood comics shop and pick up a physical copy of our issue that you can have and hold forever.

2) While you’re at it, don’t forget to support the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, which helps protect retailers who are brave enough to carry work that some in their communities might consider offensive. You can find signed copies of Saga at the CBLDF site right now.

3) Download the issue directly through sites like https://comics.imagecomics.com or on your non-Apple smartphone or tablet.

4) If all else fails, you might be able to find SAGA #12 in Apple’s iBookstore, which apparently sometimes allows more adult material to be sold than through its apps. Crazy, right?

Anyway, special thanks to Eric Stephenson and everyone at Image for supporting our decision, and for always being so supportive of creators. Sorry again to readers for the inconvenience, but I hope everyone will be able to find an issue that Fiona and I are particularly proud of. And after you do, please check out PanelSyndicate.com, the new digital comics site I own with artist Marcos Martin, which remains 100% uncensored by corporate overlords.

Your pal,

Brian

So, you can buy Saga #12 through the Comixology web store and then sync it to your iPad/iPhone (or buy it through a non-Apple device), or you can purchase it on Apple's own iBookstore, which has a different set of guidelines.

Though graphic material is indeed prohibited as per Apple's guidelines, as Vaughan points out, Saga and other titles have done far worse than what's shown in Saga #12. Let alone the amount of extreme violence that's found in most mature-readers comics.
So I guess all the other violence and heterosexual sex in the series is ok. Good job, Apple!
Old 04-09-13, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: Saga #12 banned by Apple

Originally Posted by fumanstan
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/...anned-by-apple

So I guess all the other violence and heterosexual sex in the series is ok. Good job, Apple!
Who cares? They should have read the TOS.
Old 04-09-13, 07:22 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Pretty dumb considering what goes on in The Walking Dead (which I believe is one of the apps top-sellers).
Old 04-09-13, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Who cares? They should have read the TOS.
Yeah, that's the problem
Old 04-10-13, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

From what I just heard, Comixology assumed Apple would reject it and didn't submit it; now apparently Apple doesn't have any issue and Comixology has already had it approved for sale through the app.
Old 04-10-13, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Looks like it.

http://kotaku.com/apple-cleared-of-b...ld-o-472133460

You're forgiven, Apple!
Old 04-15-13, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

I have it on my iPad via Comixology, but yeah it wasn't available earlier on Wednesday.