Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Batman: Arkham Origins (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, and PC)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 04-09-13, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Batman: Arkham Origins Is Coming This Fall

The next Batman game is called Batman: Arkham Origins, and it'll be out October 25 for PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, and PC. It's a prequel to Arkham Asylum and Arkham City.

Warner Bros. Montreal is developing the game, taking the mantle from series developer Rocksteady Studios.

There's also a handheld spin-off called Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate for 3DS and Vita, a 2.5-D Metroid-style game developed by Armature Studios, the development house made up of ex-Retro staffers who worked on Metroid Prime.

This month's issue of Game Informer has details on both games.
Old 04-09-13, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Batman: Arkham Origins (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, and PC)

Hopefully someone other then Rocksteady can still make a solid game.
Old 04-09-13, 10:04 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by alxreys
Warner Bros. Montreal is developing the game, taking the mantle from series developer Rocksteady Studios.
I'm out.
Old 04-09-13, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

Well, the good news is it is not on next gen systems. This game was pretty much going to force me to buy a new system had it come out on one of them.

This blurb is also good news:

The new development team will be using many of the assets that Rocksteady has used in the past, including its customised Unreal engine so as to try and avoid any discrepancies in the aesthetic of the franchise.
Old 04-09-13, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

-Well, it's not next gen, so that already is a waste. Why release a new game right when new systems come out, but not make it for at least both consoles??
-Made by a different developer?
-Not the same writers?

Yeah...I'm out...I'll try it when it's used.
Old 04-09-13, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Well, the good news is it is not on next gen systems.
I think you mean "bad news"
Old 04-09-13, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Considering I've been telling friends this is the one game that would force me to purchase a next-gen system if it were a launch title, my wallet is thanking me.

Last edited by Deftones; 04-09-13 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-09-13, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Once Microsoft finally announces their thing, you're going to see a lot of these games suddenly get PS4/720 announcements.
Old 04-09-13, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by discostu1337
-Well, it's not next gen, so that already is a waste. Why release a new game right when new systems come out, but not make it for at least both consoles??
-Not the same writers?

Because its already been in development for a couple years for existing platforms?
Old 04-09-13, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

-Not the same writers?

Your statements baffle me. Some of the best games in a console's life cycle come out at the very end. Development cycles are often years in length so therefore a developer simply can't predict when the console's lifespan will end. Furthermore, to dramatically change consoles costs a great deal of money. This sucker will still sell gangbusters, and I'll be sure to grab a copy at some point. I agree a different development team and writers can be worrisome, but I'm willing to give it a chance.
Old 04-09-13, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

-Not the same writers?

It's a good thing it isn't on next gen consoles then
Old 04-09-13, 01:25 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is that what you almost always do? You said in another thread you rarely ever buy new games anyway..
Old 04-09-13, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I'll definitely be picking this up as I'm a big Batman fan and loved the other two Arkham games. Not as excited since it isn't Rocksteady and hope the new developers do as good a job. Kind of glad it's not on the next gen systems yet as I'm not sure I'm prepared to buy a new console this year or not.

Last edited by Mike86; 04-09-13 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-09-13, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

You guys really believe there will be next-gen consoles out by October?
Old 04-09-13, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Out, probably..but in ridiculous short supply is the best way to put it. I could care less at this point, I have a tremendous backlog and games won't just cease to come out on the 360 anyway, they'll slow down at first before coming to a halt. Maybe in a couple of years when I see a worthwhile system that's worth a damn, I'll move to a different console. I'll probably still be playing Skyrim by then
Old 04-09-13, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by foxdvd
Is that what you almost always do? You said in another thread you rarely ever buy new games anyway..
Yeah, there is very rarely a game worth purchasing and owning. Most games last for one 8-10hr play through and are then useless. I try to buy games like Rock Band, Saints Row/GTA, Skyrim where you can get weeks/months of play. I just wait a week or so, grab Tomb Raider or Dead Space 3 used...beat it and return it for all my money back. Rinse and repeat. Works perfectly.
Old 04-09-13, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I don't. But games can come out on other systems after their initial launch.
Old 04-09-13, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm out.
Yeah. I've no faith in this.

Hopefully they'll get Rocksteady back if they make an actual sequel to Arkham City.
Old 04-09-13, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hope this is a lot more like Arkham Asylum (which I've fully completed 4 times now) and less like Arkham City (which I've started 4 times and given up out of absolute boredom 4 times).
Old 04-09-13, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think there were just too many cooks in the kitchen with Arkham City. Each villain really didn't get the time to be established properly. I like seeing each of their takes on them, but I'd rather see them for longer than a minute or so. Some of them should have been saved for another game.

This game has disaster written all over it. I wonder if they outsourced this to another studio, while Rocksteady works on the AA/AC sequel for the next gen systems. I just don't understand Rocksteady outsourcing their baby.
Old 04-09-13, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The Plot: I'll hide it just in case people don't want to know any of the characters yet.

Spoiler:
As previously noted, the Dark Knight will face eight assassins, including fan favorite Deathstroke, who have journeyed to Arkham City to kill him. We now know that Black Mask is responsible for putting a bounty on Batman's head, though exactly why will be a key mystery in the game's story. Also playing into the plot - Gotham City's acclimation to its rookie protector. Players will not only see a much more skeptical and potentially hostile Gotham City Police Department (aka the 'GCPD', which happens to feature a young Captain Jim Gordon), but younger and healthier versions of big bad guys like the Penguin - who apparently didn't always have the tail end of a glass bottle shoved in one eye.

Arkham Origins will feature similar gameplay to its predecessors, as new developer WB Montreal is very much intent on picking up where Rocksteady left off. That means perch-to-perch movement, gliding kicks and 'free-form combat' are all back. While the Montreal studio was free to develop its plot and new feature (like a 'Remote Claw', which allows you to target and pull two objects together), it leaned on Rocksteady for advice on technical and mechanical elements of the game.

Another new feature - quick travel via the airborne Batwing. Though not a controllable vehicle, Arkham Origins will finally eliminate one of the more tedious elements from Asylum and City, allowing Batman to move from point to point much faster than before - - provided he dismantles towers that jam his ability to call in his plane. (Unlike, say, Far Cry 3, these tower sequences will require a wide variety of skills and powers, including some that will have to be unlocked first.) It's a good thing Montreal is providing the Dark Knight with a quick method of transport - WB Montreal contends that Origins is nearly twice the size of Arkham City, adding an entirely new island, called 'New Gotham', to build upon the more familiar 'Old Gotham', which will still feature familiar locations like Amusement Mile and The Bowery.

The Montreal team intends to maintain the same world "density" despite doubling its size, adding ideas like 'Crime in Progress' (assist the GCPD and build your reputation) and 'Most Wanted' (track down non-assassin villains). In many cases these side quests will provide the upgrades to Batman's arsenal. These upgrades, combined with the game's existing XP system, funnel into the larger concept of the 'Dark Knight' system, which is basically the team's way of progressively adding more complexity and difficulty to Origins.

Origins will also put more emphasis on Batman's detective skills. Cases large and small will serve as a slower change of pace from action, allowing players to investigate crime scenes, gather evidence, analyze data and even return to those scenes with more information later in the game. Over time, as each case is solved, a full video narrative of the case will unlock, piecing together the crime.

Old 04-09-13, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Those changes in gameplay, while small, sound pretty good actually. I'm willing to see some more before I dismiss it because it's a new developer.
Old 04-09-13, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk God

quick travel is a nice touch, but i can say i did love just roaming around the city with the grappling hook.
Old 04-09-13, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Wow, can't wait.
Old 04-09-13, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I kind of wish they weren't trying to do a prequel, and let me use the skins/characters for other characters like Nightwing. Although I guess that could still be an option.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.