Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I Need Help With The Care Bears DVD Releases...

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-13, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So There have been a lot of Care Bears DVD releases. My niece loves the originals and I want to get all of them for her since there really isn't anything good on TV lately. I had no clue that DIC and Nelvana made Care Bears in the 80's lol.

Which release has all the DIC Care Bears episodes?

Is it one of these:

Care Bears: Four Feature Set (2011)

Care Bears: 25th Anniversary (2007)

Care Bears: Care-A-Lot Collection (2008)

Also the Nelvana Collection came out but I read that it wasn't complete.
Are the rest of the episodes on any other releases that I can buy to complete it?

Care Bears: The Original Series Collection (2012)

Thanks!
Old 04-06-13, 12:48 AM
Cool New Member

Re: I Need Help With The Care Bears DVD Releases...

My understanding is that the Original Series Collection is complete, just not in order. I picked it up, and couldn't find anything that seemed to be missing from it. It's a little awkward to check, as some episodes are made up of two stories, and depending on the episode guide you check, it might list each story separately, or it might just list each episode. But as far as I could figure out, everything's there.

The Care-A-Lot collection has all 22 stories / 11 episodes from DIC.

There are also the two original episodes made by Atkinson Film-Arts, before DIC. The first episode, "The Care Bears In The Land Without Feelings", was only released as a stand-alone disc that is now out of print. The second episode, "The Care Bears Battle The Freeze Machine", is included as a bonus feature on the 2007 re-release of The Care Bears Movie.
Old 04-06-13, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by seamusmclean
My understanding is that the Original Series Collection is complete, just not in order. I picked it up, and couldn't find anything that seemed to be missing from it. It's a little awkward to check, as some episodes are made up of two stories, and depending on the episode guide you check, it might list each story separately, or it might just list each episode. But as far as I could figure out, everything's there.

The Care-A-Lot collection has all 22 stories / 11 episodes from DIC.

There are also the two original episodes made by Atkinson Film-Arts, before DIC. The first episode, "The Care Bears In The Land Without Feelings", was only released as a stand-alone disc that is now out of print. The second episode, "The Care Bears Battle The Freeze Machine", is included as a bonus feature on the 2007 re-release of The Care Bears Movie.
Thank you so much!
Yes I did know about the two episodes before DIC, just forgot to add it here lol!

Now I've read that the four disc set in 2011 is the complete DIC series. They also made each disc separately over the years.

On Amazon there is a review that says the original series collection is missing a few episodes. Unless they were talking about the DIC episodes.

I did see the first episode on Amazon so I will def be getting that one.

Now I know why the re-release of the care bears movie is a little more pricey than usual lol. I will def be picking it up now.

So now I should have everything of the original care bears once I have all the sets correct?

Is the new CGI series on DVD or it's just the movies?

Thanks so much again!
Old 04-06-13, 04:42 PM
Cool New Member

I'm not sure what's available of the new series - I've only kept track of the original stuff. But if you get the Care-A-Lot collection (or, apparently, the 2011 set), the Original Series Collection, the stand-alone release of "Land Without Feelings", and the two movies, you should have everything that's available of the original stuff.

The Care Bears Nutcracker special is included in the Original Series Collection, so you don't need that separately. Other than that, the only thing that's still unavailable is the Care Bears In Wonderland, which as far as I know has never been released on DVD.
Old 04-06-13, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by seamusmclean
I'm not sure what's available of the new series - I've only kept track of the original stuff. But if you get the Care-A-Lot collection (or, apparently, the 2011 set), the Original Series Collection, the stand-alone release of "Land Without Feelings", and the two movies, you should have everything that's available of the original stuff.

The Care Bears Nutcracker special is included in the Original Series Collection, so you don't need that separately. Other than that, the only thing that's still unavailable is the Care Bears In Wonderland, which as far as I know has never been released on DVD.
Do you have the Care A Lot Collection? What is the difference with that one and the new 2011 set? On Amazon it says that the new 2011 set is 352 minutes and the Care A Lot collection is like 275 minutes or around there.

Was the care bears in wonderland a movie or part of the series?

You are a hug help!

This is the Amazon Review:
*Note: I have not yet watched the set and am only reviewing the packaging of this set. I may add to my review once the discs have been watched.

First off, I will say that when I see "Original Series Collection," I think "Complete Series." I must stop assuming things. Second of all, when I see "Original" I think of the DIC Care Bears... they appear nowhere I can see on this set.

Basically what you get are the first 12 DVDs released of the Nelvana series (Adventures in Care-a-Lot, Kingdom of Caring, Gift of Caring, Magical Adventures, Festival of Fun, Season of Caring, Hearts at Sea, Friends Forever, Share a Scare, and Fitness Fun) on double-sided discs, which means the last 2 DVDs that complete the Nelvana series, Give Thanks and King of the Moon, are missing. That in itself is a disappointment. Why not just do the complete Nelvana series. You also get the movie Care Bears Nutcracker. I feel they should have just omitted the Nutcracker movie and instead give us the true complete series of Nelvana Care Bears, if it's even all there, since the episode listing sheet seems to be missing a few episodes. However, since some of the episodes aren't even named correctly, there may be more than are listed. After all, if all they did was re-copy the first 12 DVD releases I mentioned above, all of the episodes should match.

All in all, it's not a horrible set, as it saved money as opposed to buying them all separate, and will save alot of room on a dvd shelf since it is definitely much thinner than 12 dvd cases. I am contemplating buying the last 2 DVDs that are not on this set and finding an 8-disc dvd case (if I can find one the same width) so that the entire Nelvana series can be all together. And luckily the DIC Care Bears set can be bought in a box set, so that I can hopefully have the entire collection (excluding Care Bears Adventures in Wonderland, which I really really wish they would bring to DVD already). However, I still feel Lionsgate should be ashamed of themselves for releasing an incomplete collection when it would've only taken one more double-sided disc to complete this set.

Last edited by Mattcharles; 04-06-13 at 08:52 PM.