Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Community - "Herstory of Dance" - 4/4/13

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-04-13, 10:16 AM

Received 4,514 Likes on 3,062 Posts

Episode Synopsis: Britta protests the dean's Sadie Hawkins dance by organizing a competing Sophie B. Hawkins soirée, but she doesn't realize she's honoring the wrong woman.
Episode 8 of 13
Old 04-04-13, 07:41 PM

Received 4,514 Likes on 3,062 Posts
Re: Community - "Herstory of Dance" - 4/4/13

Nice Colin Farrell burn.

And damn... I love me some Brie Larson.
Old 04-04-13, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

I was bored during this episode.
Old 04-04-13, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

I liked Abed's plot, the rest was meh.

I did get a good laugh out of Jeff's realization that Britta promised he would be there to the Dean.

And the writers have totally Britta'd the use of Britta'd.
Old 04-04-13, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I had no idea who Sophie B. Hawkins was (and still don't really). I liked Abed's story a lot. I didn't realize that was Brie Larson, I knew she looked familiar.
Old 04-05-13, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked the episode as it make Pierce less despicable for once. Chase will only appear in the next three episodes, as he left before the final two were filmed.
Old 04-05-13, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Anyone else annoyed at how blatantly meta Abed has become? He straight up mentioned three and a half seasons, and none of the other characters even flinched at him saying that. I know before he mentioned episode, but even then other characters reacted to him saying that.
Old 04-05-13, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

Generally speaking, I liked his episode. I think the writers are improving as the season goes on, and while I don't really want to see another season (unless there's some guarantee that it would be great), at least they're trending in the right direction. However, they still seem to have trouble resolving the multiple storylines in a given episode in a satisfying way. It's like everything just ends because the 20 minutes are up and not because the stories run their natural course. Dan Harmon's plot circle/diagrams are sorely missed. Oh, and as much as I don't really care for where it might be going, they need to step on the gas with this Chang plot. If all of his appearances are just going to be him telling everyone that he has changnesia over and over, I might lose my mind.

I did really appreciate Pierce being humanized some more this week. His characterization rang true to early series Pierce which is surprising given how awful he was being used earlier this year. If they continue in this direction, I would actually miss him if the show came back. And regarding his remaining appearances, it's pretty well documented that he appears in the finale. So while he only may have 3 appearances left, they're not necessarily the next 3 episodes.

How did everyone feel about the puppet thing at the end? I'm curious to see how they'll implement the concept, but so far the writers this year seem to be much better at the more grounded episodes than they are at the concept episodes. Nothing about the preview was funny to me, so my expectations are low.
Old 04-05-13, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I had no idea who Sophie B. Hawkins was (and still don't really). I liked Abed's story a lot. I didn't realize that was Brie Larson, I knew she looked familiar.
I thought the Sophie B. Hawkins stuff was great but yeah they really dug deep to make that joke.

I thought Jeff nailed the line "Really? You're going to have a dance dedicated to the singer of 'Damn I wish I was your lover'?"

Pretty good episode all around I thought but I feel the Abed character is trying to hard at this point.

I also like the direction they took Pierce, now being the helpful father figure instead of the raging racist. However, it seems too drastic. He went from complete dick to caring friend too fast. That really should have been his character from the start... he should have always been like an aloof father figure to the group that wasn't really part of the group but an outsider.
Old 04-05-13, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 228 Likes on 133 Posts

http://www.hulu.com/watch/475318

The actual tag for the episode, which was replaced by the next episode teaser.
Old 04-05-13, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

I enjoyed the Abed hi-jinks. It's making fun of every single stupid sitcom plot. Oddly, this is the first episode of the season that really felt like old school Community to me.

the picture Troy sent to Abed in his mustache with the Let's chips was a nice touch.

I agree, this is a super weird turn for Pierce. Old racist coot into a nice, helpful fatherly figure.
Old 04-05-13, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
Anyone else annoyed at how blatantly meta Abed has become? He straight up mentioned three and a half seasons, and none of the other characters even flinched at him saying that. I know before he mentioned episode, but even then other characters reacted to him saying that.
I think he refers to a year at Greendale as a season and he has done it previously (Not sure when). I don't think he is refering to "Community" the tv show (meta).
Old 04-05-13, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Nice Colin Farrell burn.

And damn... I love me some Brie Larson.
She looked good as a brunette. She should never be blonde again.

Originally Posted by movieking
I liked the episode as it make Pierce less despicable for once. Chase will only appear in the next three episodes, as he left before the final two were filmed.
It's been reported that he's in the finale, because they were filmed out of order.
Old 04-06-13, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Brie Larson looked like a young Maura Tierney here.
Old 04-06-13, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 977 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrauss

They should have aired that instead of the teaser.

"You guys are taking advantage of Ms. B. Hawkins"
Old 04-06-13, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is like the shitty American version of Community but kudos to those in charge for at least running with it. I can't fault their effort even if I don't love the result. It isn't horrid, but it's just not the same.
Old 04-08-13, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does seem like the writers have settled into a groove. It's still a pretty good show once you accept the "off brand" version of Community, and once you no longer expect any truly exceptional episodes.

The biggest difference for me is Troy. He used to get some of the best laughs and now Glover has to do the best he can with mediocre material.

Even if the show continues to improve into an additional season I just don't see the show returning to the heights of its former glory.
Old 04-08-13, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Abed has also nearly devolved into a smarter version of Sheldon Cooper, too.

The pity is that I actually think they put real effort into doing something interesting with the Pierce character and Chase shat all over it and left the show anyway.
Old 04-09-13, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by dstrauss

Thanks for posting that. The preview that aired felt really out of place.
Old 04-09-13, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoyed the episode. I feel the new people are slowly getting a handle on these characters' voices. I don't know that we will get any more episodes after this season, but I'm glad we got these last 13.
Old 04-09-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

good episode.

Liked the Abed plot and him meeting a girl who is into the same stuff as him

I kind of enjoyed the Sophie part of the dance - I loved how all the people on that side of the dance were all wearing flannel shirts, black t-shirts and jeans (ala early 90's style)

It was nice to see Chevy get some good moments on the show (I agree this was not very Pierce like)

I wish Donald Glover would get more screen time (his facial expressions and mannerisms have me laughing all the time)