Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Following - "Whips & Regrets" - 4/1/13

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-13, 08:19 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
The Following - "Whips & Regrets" - 4/1/13

Ryan and Parker try to recover after losing Claire to Joe's followers; Claire has an unexpected reunion as she adjusts to life at the mansion; Jacob struggles with Emma's betrayal.

Last edited by dex14; 04-01-13 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-01-13, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Following - "Whips & Regrets" - 4/1/13

Let me get this straight - this cult of WASP yuppies not only have their own college campus but their own abandoned armory and training ground filled with weapons and explosives. They have a hillbilly militiaman computer genius who dates a black dominatrix. They have a written training syllabus and are expected to follow a chain of command. Very believable.
And Ryan and what's her name kept up their usual level of sterling police work.
Old 04-02-13, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

I wonder if they'll ever reveal how Joe Carroll's cult gets their funding. They live in a mansion, have safe-houses, armories, training centers, helicopters, and god knows what else. I doubt that Joe's novel sold that many copies. Is there someone like Steve Jobs or the Koch brothers backing them?

I'm also wondering if the FBI is really understaffed or something. They're pursuing a cult of serial killers, led by a fugitive, yet they only seem to send a couple of people out to catch them. Every time they go off to rescue or catch someone, there's only Ryan, Debra , and a couple of redshirts. When one of these guys is in a building, they never surround and secure the fucking building. Jesus Christ, where I live, they'll have twenty cop cars chasing a kid with a dimebag.
Old 04-02-13, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I wonder if they'll ever reveal how Joe Carroll's cult gets their funding. They live in a mansion, have safe-houses, armories, training centers, helicopters, and god knows what else. I doubt that Joe's novel sold that many copies. Is there someone like Steve Jobs or the Koch brothers backing them?
Roderick has a job.

I'm also wondering if the FBI is really understaffed or something. They're pursuing a cult of serial killers, led by a fugitive, yet they only seem to send a couple of people out to catch them. Every time they go off to rescue or catch someone, there's only Ryan, Debra , and a couple of redshirts. When one of these guys is in a building, they never surround and secure the fucking building. Jesus Christ, where I live, they'll have twenty cop cars chasing a kid with a dimebag.
No kidding. Each week seems to provide new opportunities for the authorities to screw things up. Guess we've come to expect it by now. Strangely enough, I'm still committed to seeing this through to the end of the season.
Old 04-02-13, 08:15 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

This show has become so boring.

I did like the pursuit in the S&M club. Very good horror element. Reminded me of something out of a survival game or something. The show needs to bring back the horror elements.
Old 04-02-13, 09:26 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Strangely enough, I'm still committed to seeing this through to the end of the season.
I'm with ya -- thankfully there are only 4 more episodes left.
Old 04-02-13, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better than the previous episodes I think. I know, that's not much.
Old 04-02-13, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Really enjoyed Jacob being a dick to that slut Emma.

Looks like there will be a power struggle among the followers between Roderick and Joe.

Episode was okay overall. Not really any shocking moments. As Dex said, the pursuit in the S&M club was interesting, but IMO felt a little tame overall.
Old 04-02-13, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I don't think The Following will ever be great television, it's not grounded enough in reality for that to happen. But it has its charm, mostly in trying to guess what crazy twist the writers have planned next most of the time. I did like the exchange between Joe and Ryan on the phone, with Joe telling Ryan that an alcoholic ex-cop was such a cliche.
Old 04-02-13, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I did like the exchange between Joe and Ryan on the phone, with Joe telling Ryan that an alcoholic ex-cop was such a cliche.
Yeah that was great. I definitely think one of the strongest points is Joe taunting Ryan.

So Ryan's ex-girlfriend is some kind of Angel of Death and that's why she became attracted to Joe's teachings? I heard her mention that she's killed more people than Joe.
Old 04-02-13, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
So Ryan's ex-girlfriend is some kind of Angel of Death and that's why she became attracted to Joe's teachings? I heard her mention that she's killed more people than Joe.
She's a nurse in a terminal ward, which I guess is perfect for that type of killer.
Old 04-03-13, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111

No kidding. Each week seems to provide new opportunities for the authorities to screw things up. Guess we've come to expect it by now. Strangely enough, I'm still committed to seeing this through to the end of the season.
Yeah, when Parker and Hardy were in there alone, I knew they were going to screw it up somehow.

Despite that I thought it was a good episode. I liked Ryan's ex-girlfriend. Probably a better female character than Claire, Parker, and Emma. And like others, I found Joe and Ryan's phone conversation in the beginning pretty good.

I liked that they actually moved the plot forward so that we actually know the group is planning some attack. Also, Joe better watch out as he has conflicts with Roderick, Claire and maybe Emma to deal with.
Old 04-03-13, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

I wonder why they didn't just stick a tracer on Vince's car like the nutters put on Claire.

Seems really stupid for Haley to tip her hand that she knew about the cult. I would think Ryan and Debra would have impressed on her that this needed to be a completely normal drop.

If they didn't trust Haley and made her wear a wire, it wouldn't prevent her from tipping him off some other way like writing down a message on a piece of paper or typing it onto her computer. With current tech, do they even need to use those big wires anymore?

Also a dumb move for the FBI to search his car like that. It would have been entirely possible that there was someone else watching; the cult has people everywhere. Just have FBI guy pretend to be drunk, fall down by the car, slip a tracer on it while he's struggling to get up, and nobody watching is the wiser.

Have Haley keep her mouth shut, Vince picks up the box, drives back to the compound, and they have Joe and the whole gang.
Old 04-03-13, 09:13 AM

a friend of mine missed the last episode.. Was wondering if anyone knew a site where i can send her to read a brief synopsis of the episode. I tried to explain but realized I missed a lot of show when I found myself done after 2 minutes. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-13, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by metman86
a friend of mine missed the last episode.. Was wondering if anyone knew a site where i can send her to read a brief synopsis of the episode. I tried to explain but realized I missed a lot of show when I found myself done after 2 minutes. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.
Don't know about a synopsis, but it's scheduled to air again Saturday at 9 p.m.
Old 04-03-13, 10:35 AM

thank you.
Old 04-03-13, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How hard is it to scream "Joey!" as you walk around a mansion? Why am I still subjecting myself to this? Maybe it'll be like Smallville where only the first two and last two episodes a season are worth watching.
Old 04-04-13, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts

God, this show is stupid beyond belief. I kept thinking it had to improve, but it's gotten worse. I'm done with this dreck.
Old 04-09-13, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to laugh at the agent "undercover" in the club.
Middle aged black guy in glasses, check shirt and slacks just grabbing a quick drink with men in the background in bondage gear kissing each other. Does not stand out.

And 2 fully armed and tactical geared up officers breaking into a car. The car was right outside the club.