Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Man wins refund over movie scene that was only in trailer

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-13, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Here's an interesting story from my part of the world -- obviously scenes are in trailers all the time that aren't in the actual film but this is the first I've heard of a suit over it! What do you think?

Big bang deleted, so it's a refund
By Kieran Campbell

A Hollywood movie company has offered to refund the cost of a ticket for a New Zealander who complained of false advertising because a "split-second" cliff explosion shown in the trailer of a Tom Cruise thriller wasn't in the movie.

The disgruntled viewer complained to the Advertising Standards Authority that the "explosion where the whole cliff comes down" in the trailer for the movie Jack Reacher was "the defining part of the ad that made me really want to go see the movie ... aside from having Tom Cruise in it".

Paramount Pictures has admitted the error, saying the promo for the action thriller was released before the final edit of the film.

As a result, the "split-second" scene showing the cliff explosion was used to promote the movie but was cut from the film before it was shown in cinemas.

Although the film company defended the trailer, which showed at least two other scenes not in the movie, it offered to refund the cost of the cinema ticket to the complainant, named by the ASA only as J. Congdon.

Paramount Pictures said it was a "usual and longstanding practice in the film industry that cinema trailers and television advertisements" be produced to promote a film weeks or months before completion of the film's final editing.

"Thus, despite our best intentions, it is always possible that certain scenes appearing in an advertisement or trailer may not appear in the final version of a film," the company told the ASA.

Paramount Pictures said "the explosion in question was a single split-second element omitted from a 130-minute long action film and [we] believe that, taken as a whole, the impression created by the advertisement was a true and fair reflection of the film which could not reasonably be considered misleading or deceptive to customers".

As the advertisement had ceased airing and Paramount Pictures had offered the ticket refund, the ASA deemed the complaint "settled".

The Commercial Approvals Bureau, which approved the trailer to be aired on television, believed the advertisement posed "no threat of confusion to the large majority of TV viewers", and the complaint should not be upheld.
Old 04-01-13, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Man wins refund over movie scene that was only in trailer

This is awesome, maybe I can finally get a refund for TWISTER (truck tire in trailer NOT in movie!).
Old 04-01-13, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts

While I'm glad this was nothing more than the refund of the ticket, it didn't need to go to court.

That said, I wonder if a company could make a trailer that included no footage that ended up in the movie. Wouldn't that be some kind of false advertising? It's interesting to think about.
Old 04-01-13, 02:37 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Old 04-01-13, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
That said, I wonder if a company could make a trailer that included no footage that ended up in the movie. Wouldn't that be some kind of false advertising? It's interesting to think about.
Video game trailers have been doing that for years.
Old 04-01-13, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

I've gotten a free ticket when the theater cut the end credits off a film.
Old 04-01-13, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Video game trailers have been doing that for years.
I honestly thought about that. Don't they include some fine print these days?
Old 04-01-13, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I honestly thought about that. Don't they include some fine print these days?
I thought they had to put a disclaimer that it wasn't in-game footage but then there was that Dead Island trailer, so who knows.
Old 04-01-13, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

Shame nobody sued Dimension Films over the trailers to Highlander: Endgame. Those trailers featured mostly footage shot exclusively for the trailers. Even whole special effects sequences were rendered exclusively for the trailers.
Old 04-01-13, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Shame nobody sued Dimension Films over the trailers to Highlander: Endgame. Those trailers featured mostly footage shot exclusively for the trailers. Even whole special effects sequences were rendered exclusively for the trailers.
And in that case, the movie ended up being better than the trailer!
Old 04-01-13, 02:57 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

They'd have a field day with The Master.
Old 04-01-13, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
They'd have a field day with The Master.
Or Paranormal Activity 3
Old 04-01-13, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was ready to call BS because of what today is, but then I realized it's tomorrow in New Zealand...
Old 04-01-13, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Great, now they'll add messages in trailers saying "Scenes shown may not be included in the final movie." But I have always wondered when this happens, how such scenes were deemed good enough to be included in the trailer (out of ALL the other scenes they could have picked), but not good enough to be in the final film.
Old 04-01-13, 03:52 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

While I'm glad this was nothing more than the refund of the ticket, it didn't need to go to court.

Hitchcock made trailers that didn't contain any footage. NxNW, Psycho, The Birds.
Old 04-01-13, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Shame nobody sued Dimension Films over the trailers to Highlander: Endgame.
I would like to sue everybody who went to see Highlander: Endgame... for promoting foul and filth!
Old 04-01-13, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Hitchcock made trailers that didn't contain any footage. NxNW, Psycho, The Birds.
Sure. I'm just wondering if you could make a trailer showing nothing but explosions and gunfights and the movie itself was two guys sitting at a dinner table. You aren't getting what you're paying for, are you?

Like I said, it's interesting.
Old 04-01-13, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There was an article on this in Premiere magazine back in the late 80's. There is a scene in the commercial for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels where Steve Martin & Michael Caine are walking next to a river and one of them pushes someone into the water. The scene was only shot for the trailer so the article talked about how more movies are included scenes in the commercials that aren't in the actual movie.
Old 04-01-13, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I too am glad that he only got a refunded ticket and not some kind of crazy financial restitution.

It is an interesting discussion though. I saw the the teaser trailer for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and I don't think I would have felt ripped off because it wasn't included in the actual film. If it was in the film, it would have seemed pretty awkward considering there's no point to them just pushing people into the water. It's just telling the audience what kind of characters these two are and what type of story to expect.

About in game footage. I think that would piss me off more. But then again, after seeing the trailers for The Force Unleashed II, none of them were in the game, and one particular scene ended up looking drastically different, and not nearly as detailed. But I didn't feel ripped off or cheated at all. My only complaint was that the game was too short, but the in-game footage that was there was all top notch.

I think what it comes down to is how many people feel cheated by the trailer. For example, if THE DARK KNIGHT RISES trailer had shown a never-before-seen clip of Heath Ledger's Joker in the film, and it came across that somehow he has a cameo in the film, and yet he never appears in the actual film, I think that would be a case of false advertising.

A split second explosion in an action movie full of other explosions though? I don't know how many people would notice that stuff. Maybe I'm too desensitized to explosions in movies after seeing Transformers.
Old 04-01-13, 05:17 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
Or Paranormal Activity 3
The Grey comes to mind.
Old 04-01-13, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Great, now they'll add messages in trailers saying "Scenes shown may not be included in the final movie."
If they include the scene on the DVD/BD release, does he have to give back the money?
Old 04-01-13, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

I remember watching the Endgame movie and wondering where all the scenes I saw had gone.
Old 04-01-13, 06:28 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

In a bizarre turn of events, people had to pay to see the movie with scenes not shown in the trailer.

Old 04-01-13, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My refund would be for Hard Rain. I though the scene where the deputy says, "But you're the sheriff!" and Randy Quaid says, "Im the what?" was a very cool delivery and pretty chilling... Not in the movie at all. I was pissed (in movie terms pissed, not real life problems pissed)

Where's my $4!
Old 04-01-13, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can one sue for cock teasing? I've been waiting for over a decade for bare Aniston nipplege.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.