Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Orphan Black -- Season 1 Thread -- BBC America

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-13, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Orphan Black -- Season 1 Thread -- BBC America

Sarah has always lived the life of an orphan outsider. But a clone is never alone.

Sarah hopes that cleaning out a dead woman’s bank account will solve all her problems. Instead, her problems multiply – and so does she. Experience a whole new side of BBC AMERICA with the channel’s next original scripted series, “Orphan Black,” the exciting and ambitious new addition to the Supernatural Saturday programming block. “Orphan Black” features rising star Tatiana Maslany (“Cas & Dylan,” “Picture Day”) in the lead role of Sarah, an outsider and orphan whose life changes dramatically after witnessing the suicide of a woman who looks just like her. Sarah assumes her identity, her boyfriend and her bank account. But instead of solving her problems, the street smart chameleon is thrust headlong into a kaleidoscopic mystery. She makes the dizzying discovery that she and the dead woman are clones… but are they the only ones? Sarah quickly finds herself caught in the middle of a deadly conspiracy and must race to find answers about who she is and how many others there are just like her. Orphan Black premieres Saturday, March 30, 9:00pm ET/PT, as part of BBC AMERICA’s Supernatural Saturday.

This suspenseful, sexy thriller also stars Jordan Gavaris (“Degrassi”), Dylan Bruce (“As The World Turns”) and Maria Doyle Kennedy (“Downton Abbey”). Orphan Black is executive produced by Ivan Schneeberg and David Fortier (“Being Erica”), Graeme Manson (“Flashpoint”), and John Fawcett (“Spartacus”). The drama is co-created by Manson and Fawcett, with Manson also serving as writer and Fawcett as director.

Episode 1 of 10. Canadian production with worldwide distribution by BBC Worldwide.
Old 03-31-13, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

re: Orphan Black -- Season 1 Thread -- BBC America

Did anybody else catch this? I think the premise is interesting for sure. The pilot had some good moments and characters. Also, the cast seems to gel pretty well. However, not much hooked me. Sure there is a surprise at the end, but it's doesn't do much to leave things hanging. Arrow does a better job of dangling you for the next episode.

Plus with a few of the promos there is certain more to the story. I think they should have rearranged some elements for the pilot to flesh out more of the events so Sarah can learn what's going on. I'll keep with it for a few more weeks to see how things develop.

Good eye candy in some scenes!
Old 03-31-13, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I've been intrigued since this teaser trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-UEa_BIHqU

I watched the premiere after Doctor Who and found it very well done. It was interesting though that they didn't get to Sarah being told about the clones right in the first episode, although even without the promo materials giving that plot twist away it wouldn't be hard for viewers to figure it out by the end of this episode.

Speaking of eye-candy, I was a bit surprised by the level of nudity in the episode. It mostly keeps to bare ass, but there is also a bit of side-boob. I typically expect TV-MA on basic cable to mean language and violence. Is there any other show on basic-cable that has had this level of nudity?

According this this review, BBCA sent out screeners for the first 4 episodes, and the show keeps getting better:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/natural-selection,95871/
To say too much about all of the shades young actress Tatiana Maslany has to show as Sarah/Beth would be spoiling the fun of the show, but by episode four, Maslany’s doing so many tricky, intricate bits of acting and making it look easy....Those who don’t realize the true greatness of what she’s doing after just the premičre will almost certainly feel that way after episode four.
Old 03-31-13, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding the nudity, this could be an example of "spicing up the pilot" to lure viewers. As of now, episodes 2 and 3 have a TV-14 rating, so they probably do not feature any nudity (though I bet the s-word will still be present, since BBC America has aired plenty of UK shows at the TV-14 level with the s-word intact). Copper was the same way, rear male nudity in the pilot, then virtually no male or female nudity in the next 9 episodes.

I thought it was a great pilot, and I'll definitely be tuning in next week. What's interesting is that this is the first time BBC America has had the ability to use a hit show (Doctor Who) as a lead-in for a new show. The September Who premiere had 1.56 million viewers, while the Christmas special had 1.4 million, so I'd expect at least 1.4-1.5 million for last night's premiere (though I'm secretly hoping for more!). Hopefully many Who viewers stuck around - I'm guessing/hoping at least 1 million for Orphan Black.

As a point of reference, Copper opened on a Sunday night at 10pm with 1.1 million viewers with on lead-in, so you'd think Orphan Black would pull in at least 1.1 million with the Who lead-in.

What I find intriguing is that the basic premise of the show, as noted in the press materials released by BBC America (about the true connection between Beth and Sarah), wasn't really mentioned explicitly last night. I almost wish I hadn't read the basic information from BBC America, since it would have been more of a surprise in a few episodes when I'm sure Sarah (and the audience) learns what is really happening.
Old 03-31-13, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the show is reflective of US vs UK in terms of nudity (even though it's a Canadian production). I remember seeing the UK version of Las Vegas (the one with James Caan, Josh Duhamel, etc.) and being surprised.

I don't get BBC America in HD. I try not to be that guy, but it really was difficult watching it in SD on my HDTV. I couldn't tell if it was the SD or if the show isn't filmed with the best quality.

The story hasn't really grabbed me as of yet, but I plan to give it a little more time. Right away I started feeling like this was Ringer (Sarah Michelle Gellar), which I didn't stick with very long. Hopefully I can shake that feeling as it goes on.
Old 03-31-13, 12:06 PM

Mikah, it was probably the SD feed, since the show looked great in HD, as did Doctor Who before it. And make no apologies for complaining, since before Fios added BBC America HD, I would "find" shows like Doctor Who online in better quality to watch than force myself to watch BBC America SD (on my LED TV, no less, which meant that I had black bars on all 4 sides of a small SD picture!).
Old 03-31-13, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Too much happened in the first episode that seemed like random circumstance and serendipity for me to really enjoy it. I like the main star, but the rest of the cast didn't do much for me. Basic cable is getting edgier these days with female nudity. FX is really pushing the envelope, it is only a matter of time until we see European levels of nudity on basic cable.
Old 03-31-13, 02:23 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Too much happened in the first episode that seemed like random circumstance and serendipity for me to really enjoy it. I like the main star, but the rest of the cast didn't do much for me. Basic cable is getting edgier these days with female nudity. FX is really pushing the envelope, it is only a matter of time until we see European levels of nudity on basic cable.
This was BBCA, not FX.
Old 03-31-13, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
This was BBCA, not FX.
I know, but once one channel starts getting away with it on a consistent basis, many will follow.
Old 03-31-13, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Forgot this was on but will try to catch a replay at some point.
Old 03-31-13, 08:16 PM

BBC America is repeating the entire Supernatural Saturday lineup on Thursday nights (Doctor Who at 8, Orphan Black at 9, Nerdist at 10).
Old 04-04-13, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this series meant to be set in the US? I recall references to a "Train to NYC?" and someone being in Cleveland, but otherwise felt like England (or I guess Canada... ).
Old 04-04-13, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy
Is this series meant to be set in the US? I recall references to a "Train to NYC?" and someone being in Cleveland, but otherwise felt like England (or I guess Canada... ).
It's definitely not England. Aside from Sarah and her mate, everyone speaks with an American accent (Sarah had to learn Beth's accent), there was the "train to NYC" announcement, and I've read that there's an explanation for how Sarah came over from England.

The show is definitely a Canadian production. Wikipedia mentions that the pilot showed a plane ticket for Toronto's Pearson International Airport, so I guess they're supposed to be in Toronto:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphan_Black#Location
Old 04-10-13, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I watched episode 1 last night. Thought it was an interesting set up. The reveal about the clones was interesting, but then again I think this show would have been better served with a 2 hour Pilot to set things up. I felt like they jammed a lot of story in 45 minutes. I know Beth is a Cop and was involved in some shooting, but I don't think it was set up really well. It seemed forced.

I was a little confused about the set up with the characters. I know this is a BBC America production, but I didn't really get the point of making Sarah and her friend British living in Canada. You lose the accents and the characters IMO still work.

I was also surprised about the nudity. That was a pretty graphic sex scene for basic cable with Sarah/Beth and the boyfriend. I do like Tatiana Maslany. She certainly is cute and plays Sarah/Beth well.

Superman07, you may want to PM Jadzia and have her change this thread to a season thread instead. Doctor Who seems to be the only BBC show that has enough interest for weekly discussion threads.
Old 04-10-13, 07:00 AM

The reason why Sarah and her foster brother Felix have British accents is explained in episode 2, and I'm guessing it will come into play sometime in the future (I'm trying to be vague on purpose!).
Old 04-14-13, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This show continues to impress. I'm hooked.
Old 04-14-13, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I liked the first episode enough to grab the other two. We'll see its ok so far.
Old 04-14-13, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched eps 2 and 3 today.

I think the main reason for Sarah being from England is specifically for the accent. Sarah is masquerading as Beth, so as the audience, we see both Sarah and Sarah-as-Beth. The switch in accent makes it easy to distinguish between when Sarah is being herself and when she is pretending to be Beth. There's actually a plot point in episode 2 where Sarah switches accents right in the middle of a phonecall, which wouldn't play if Sarah and Beth had the same accent.

As for episode 3 (spoilers)...
Spoiler:
What's up with a clone being the killer of the German? She seems to have a real religious fetish, from the marked up Bibles to the angel wings carved into her back. I'm thinking maybe that clone found out about the others and "snapped," deciding to eliminate them. However, there's also an insinuation that something may be "wrong" about the clones that causes them to get ill, so the killer clone may be simply trying to put them out of their misery (she says that it's not Sarah's "time" yet when she lets her live).
Old 04-15-13, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The show should be more about the clones and less about Sarah's and Beth's domestic problems.
Old 04-15-13, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The show should be more about the clones and less about Sarah's and Beth's domestic problems.
Yes, because watching a soccer mom and a lab-rat at University for an hour would be way more exciting than what we have now.
Old 04-16-13, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DJ I was thinking the same thing. I'll PM Jadzia to switch up the title.

I caught up on eps 2 and 3. The show certainly continues to impress. I think episode 2 reinforces what many of us thought - it would have been better served as part 2 of the pilot. That said, still a good episode. Although I think episode 3 was the highlight so far. It really was compelling and I found myself engrossed for the entire hour.

Main actress is really bringing her A game by playing all the characters do well. I'll be watching a scene between two of them and have to remind myself they are the same actress. The characters seem so fleshed out and distinct from each other.

Felix corrupting the kids in a matter of hours.

I get the feeling Raj and the partner will be brought in in the secret by the end of the season. Partner seems smart, so I'm hoping he'll figure it out too.

If the German's prints do flag, wouldn't they match "dead" Sarah from the morgue?
Old 04-16-13, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Pleasently surprised by this show. It's not amazing but it's certainly interesting and entertaining.
Also, I htink Maslany is really good and clearly having fun.
Old 04-16-13, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm pleasantly surprised by this. Only seen the first two so far. I am really impressed by the lead and switching accents and characters..Doing a great job.
Old 04-22-13, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! this last (3rd) episode was even darker. Great episode. I think I am in for the long run.

I do have to say it gets tough figuring out which accent she is supposed to be using. Especially when she is playing Beth(usa), but the person she talking to knows she is not beth (uk). Actress is doing an excellent job with all the parts.

Last edited by Ayre; 04-22-13 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-22-13, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think she is handling the accents very well, and I am usually very picky about non-native speakers switching up their natural accents.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.