Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

CBGB (2013, D: Miller, S: Alan Rickman & lots of others)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-28-13, 07:01 PM

Received 4,555 Likes on 3,090 Posts

The historic New York City punk nightclub is the center of the forthcoming film CBGB, and that there is the promotional poster for it. That’s Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins as Iggy Pop saying “Lick my stomach!” and Alan Rickman as CBGB & OMFUG founder Hilly Kristal

Left to right you’ve got Debbie Harry, “co-founder” Idaho, Genya Ravan, the sound guy Taxi, Rupert Grint (!) as Cheetah Chrome, Stiv Bators, Joey Ramone, Patti Smith, security guard Merv Ferguson, Hilly’s daughter Lisa Kristal, and Iggy Pop.

Other notable rock stars to appear in the film will be Richard Hell, David Byrne, and of course Tom Verlaine, all appearing not as themselves. CBGB will be released later this year.

In a 2012 interview with Rolling Stone, director Randall Miller said the movie is “a story of Hilly and how he basically was the catalyst for this gigantic, sea-changing music. And he didn’t set out to do that initially, but he became sort of the godfather of punk and underground rock.”

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1786751/?ref_=sr_1
Old 03-28-13, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: CBGB (2013, D: Miller, S: Alan Rickman & lots of others)

As much as I love a lot of the music to have happened around CBGB and have great appreciation for what happened there, I have almost no interest in seeing this.

I know that it will be that quirky-cartoonish style that I don't really care for.
Old 03-28-13, 07:14 PM

Yea...the poster makes it look like Kevin Smith directed it or something.
Old 03-28-13, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
As much as I love a lot of the music to have happened around CBGB and have great appreciation for what happened there, I have almost no interest in seeing this.

I know that it will be that quirky-cartoonish style that I don't really care for.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 03-28-13, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

The stupid dog on the poster seals the deal for me. I might watch it on DVD/Blu one day, if I'm really bored.
Old 03-29-13, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how zany. mecca of music, but let's keep yammering on about the nasty shitter. (it wasn't even that bad.)
Old 03-29-13, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Home sweet home
I think I'm going to cry

Old 03-29-13, 12:43 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Great idea. Could be as good as 24 Hour Party People and its story of the legendary Hacienda club and the music scene surounding it. But it probably won't be.
Old 03-29-13, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
how zany. mecca of music, but let's keep yammering on about the nasty shitter. (it wasn't even that bad.)
That and the alley in the back had as many people as in the club. It was just another place to hang out and do stuff.
Old 04-05-13, 02:40 PM

Last edited by dex14; 04-05-13 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-05-13, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
Yeah, not exactly the byline that makes me want to run out and see this in a theater.

I'm no ad executive, but I think a tagline like "This ain't no party. This ain't no disco" would probably be better than the one they picked.
Old 08-07-13, 03:27 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/O1ZNfaOpqKo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-08-13, 01:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm pretty impressed with this trailer. looks like it lays out a little truth. honestly, I was anticipated a really bad, tacky SLC Punk approach, but the fact they're including Television in the mix makes this somewhat legit. I really think a CBGBs film in the vein of a 24-Hour Party People mockumentary format would've been incredible, though.
Old 09-11-13, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Could be as good as 24 Hour Party People and its story of the legendary Hacienda club and the music scene surounding it. But it probably won't be.
I actually liked this more than 24HPP. Much better-paced and humorous all throughout....Only Freddy Rodriguez's schtick starts to get tiresome (He seems to be doing his best Johnny Depp impression)

I'm sure the comic-panel stuff and the Scott Pilgrim graphics won't win a whole lot of fans, but (Regarding the panels) *a certain cow ended up having my favorite line of the movie. (Don't trip. A cow doesn't walk into CBGBs or anything like that---Although Johnathan the dog gets a bit more screentime than one would expect)

Now that I think about it, this is almost like a companion to American Splendor. Rickman's Krystal is like a throwback to Giamatti's Pekar....Oh, and I don't think I've ever seen Malin Akerman look so dang cute before.
Only other complaint would be that I would've liked to see more of Mary Herron and the punk-mag duo, but as pointed out earlier, this is Krystal's story.

*After re-watching it, a cow speaks more than once. I'm referring to the one that appears near the end of the movie.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 09-12-13 at 02:33 AM.
Old 05-29-20, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Not sure where to put this as not deserving of its own thread:

‘Midnight Rider’ Director Randall Miller Faces New Arrest Warrant Over Probation Violations

EXCLUSIVE: Six years after Sarah Jones was killed on the Georgia set of Midnight Rider, director Randall Miller is facing being arrested again.

Law enforcement authorities in the Peach State today requested that Department of Community Supervision issue a warrant for Miller for violating the conditions of his probation, we have learned. The effort arises from Deadline’s exclusive earlier this week that Miller had directed the DGA sanctioned film Higher Grounds last summer in Serbia, Colombia and the UK.

“I have requested Wayne County probation to issue a warrant for his arrest,” Assistant District Attorney John Johnson told Deadline on Friday. “Randall Miller has violated the terms of his probation,” the Georgia prosecutor added of Miller getting behind the camera on the Kate Nash-starring Higher Grounds. “As a director, he’s in violation.”

If after a hearing before a judge, Miller is found to have violated his probation, Johnson said, “the time remaining on his probation could be revoked” and the California-based director could be returned to jail in Georgia.

“One of the conditions of his probation is that he cannot serve as a director, assistant director or as a supervisor responsible for the safety of others on a film,” Johnson explained of Miller’s 2016’s probation terms. “The way Georgia interprets those kinds of clauses is that those are separate entities, so he cannot serve as a director.”

“After a thorough review of the case and collaboration with our partners in law enforcement, it has been determined that Mr. Miller’s actions result in a violation of his probation,” Department of Community Supervision spokesperson Brian Tukes said in a statement on Friday.
https://deadline.com/2020/05/randall...er-1202946710/