Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown (CNN) -- Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-13, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown (CNN) -- Series Thread

I don't know how many of you here regularly watched No Reservations or The Layover on Travel Channel. Tony Bourdain as some of you may know left Travel Channel last year and now has a new show on CNN. He's the reason I became interested in travelling. In fact in February, I went to Penang, Malaysia because I saw it in one of his shows.

Preview:

<param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=bestoftv/2013/03/27/ab-anthony-bourdain-parts-unknown-promo.cnn" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=bestoftv/2013/03/27/ab-anthony-bourdain-parts-unknown-promo.cnn" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="416" wmode="transparent" height="374"></embed></object>
Old 04-24-13, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown -- April 14th on CNN

Differences between this and No Reservations...

Upgrade in cinematography. The old show was shot like a normal cable reality show, a lot of handheld, video-looking shots. The new show is obviously going for a more film documentary look.

Less censorship. CNN doesn't bleep Tony when he says "shit."

More political, but still mostly about food. The second episode was set in L.A.'s Koreatown, and in between meals, Tony talked about how the area came back from the L.A. riots. And Anthony Bourdain actually had dinner at the Sizzler (a low-price chain steakhouse, if you don't have them in your area).
Old 04-24-13, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Like the new show alot. Agree with what you mentioned that it feels more documentary. Plus, Tony has more resources using CNN than Travel Channel.

Tony was ripping FOX news on Twitter the other day because they published an article criticizing him for saying shit so much.
Old 04-24-13, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Tony has more resources using CNN than Travel Channel.
Can't imagine Travel Channel getting him into Myanmar.

Tony was ripping FOX news on Twitter the other day because they published an article criticizing him for saying shit so much.
Did they ever watch his old show? The guy in charge of bleeping must have gotten carpal tunnel.
Old 04-24-13, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Like the new show. Not really that much different from No Reservations, which is good as I quite enjoyed that show's format.
Old 04-25-13, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have this one set on the DVR. I haven't noticed any profanity. I enjoyed No Reservations quite a bit but it was one of those shows that I'd watch if it happened to be on while I was channel surfing in the middle of the day. Seems like he'll get to visit some pretty interesting locations this time around.
Old 04-25-13, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by bdshort
I have this one set on the DVR. I haven't noticed any profanity. I enjoyed No Reservations quite a bit but it was one of those shows that I'd watch if it happened to be on while I was channel surfing in the middle of the day. Seems like he'll get to visit some pretty interesting locations this time around.
In the 2 episodes he says shit quite a lot, especially in episode 2 Korea town. Travel Channel would bleep it out. But, CNN doesn't.

Anyone who follows Bourdain should know he's very frank about various topics and that is part of his schtick.
Old 04-25-13, 01:35 AM

I must not notice swearing very well...
Old 04-25-13, 08:37 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

excellent show, I don't really notice the word shit as a vulgarity anymore I hear it so much.
Old 05-01-13, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/cnns...second-season/

Renewed for a 2nd season. Will premiere this September.

Just watched the Colombia episode from Sunday. Didn't really care for it that much. Not many interesting things there and the food didn't look that good. He did talk about how Colombia got a bad rep because of the drug trade.

Earlier in the episode, I liked how Bourdain was sick to his stomach with altitude sickness, yet somehow managed to eat.
Old 05-06-13, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

Caught the Burma/Myanmar episode and enjoyed it. Will have to catch up on the others.

Fiancé told me we have tickets next week to his show. 1) had no idea he was touring, 2) good to know a week in advance.
Old 05-06-13, 10:31 AM

That Quebec episode made me hungry.
at the chefs he was with shaving truffle on their pre-packaged meal on the train, and the gourmet meal in the ice fishing shack.
Old 05-06-13, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Enjoyed the Quebec episode more than Colombia last week.

He hit some interesting spots and the food looked good. Thought the food that was cooked in that little shack over the snow/ice pond looked great considering it was made in such a tiny little room.

I'm amazed how much Bourdain eats in 1 day. But, eating is part of the travel experience.
Old 05-06-13, 11:49 AM

Yeah, some of those meals looked absolutely massive! Wonder how much those guys spend on their truffles...
Old 05-08-13, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched the first 3 episodes last night and I still can't believe the artist guy took him to Sizzler. I really enjoyed the Myanmar and LA episodes. Those human powered ferris wheels are crazy...
Old 05-08-13, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

For some reason Comcast only has two episodes available on demand but I've enjoyed them both. Seems like a pretty seamless continuation of No Reservations which is fine by me.
Old 06-12-13, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk God

The season finale was on Sunday. Anyone watch?

Those 8 episodes went by fast. According to the promo, it returns September 15th with 8 more episodes.

Anyways, the Congo wasn't one of my favorite episodes. But it had some good moments.

I loved the segment where they traveled down the Congo river. Tony was cooking dinner and had to butcher a chicken with one of the dullest knives ever. I at him struggling to cut the chicken. Plus, they had power problems and the boat was infested with insects. Tony was cursing and saying shit a lot.

Only part that disturbed me was how they had Tony slaughter the chicken. It was still alive and they put his head in some kind of cone and cut the head off with that dull knife, while it was still alive. That was total cruelty IMO. Just break the damn neck.
Old 09-18-13, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Did anyone here happen to watch the season premiere on Sunday?

It was supposed to be a new episode about Jerusalem. The episode that I recorded was a recap of season 1. Did anyone else get this?
Old 09-18-13, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

It was supposed to be a new episode about Jerusalem. The episode that I recorded was a recap of season 1. Did anyone else get this?
Same here. My DVR recorded the show at 8 as new. It was either a recap or the Myanmar episode; I didn't bother watching much of it to check. I did notice the ad during it for the new episode at 9 but my DVR didn't record that one.
Old 09-18-13, 07:05 AM

CNN's submitted guides are off.

There was a new episode on Sunday, but at 9 ET. Everyone who used a DVR throughout multiple timezones got the clip show that aired an hour earlier.

AFAIK, the next two episodes are still screwed up as well in most DVR guides, 8 ET vs. 9 ET. So adjust accordingly.

The Parts Unknown twitter feed lists times for re-airs this week, but you'll have to manually add them, as those don't show up at all or are ID'd as something else.
Old 09-18-13, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

For some reason my DVR was going to record like 5 episodes on Sunday. I went through it manually and removed all but the 6:00pm one, so I got the Jerusalem episode.

He actually spent time in both the West Bank and in Gaza, so it was more of a Israel/Palestine episode. Overall it was a solid episode.
Old 09-19-13, 01:19 PM

Last week's episode (Jerusalem) is now up for free on iTunes.
Old 10-01-13, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Coincidence that their New Mexico episode aired at the same time as the BB finale?
Old 10-17-13, 08:00 AM

CNN's submitted DVR guides look like they are off again.

There's a new episode on Sunday (South Africa) at 9 ET, but it's pulling up the 8 ET airing as the South Africa episode and your DVR may favor that recording as 'new,' when it's likely last week's Sicily episode.

Last edited by Adboy151; 10-21-13 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-05-13, 03:00 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone see the Tokyo one? I wanna know the name of that show he went to at the beginning.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JPJmlKD7kgI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.