10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Sandman: OMNIBUS or Absolute?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-13, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sandman: OMNIBUS or Absolute?

Having never read Sandman I have been wanting to pick it up when I had the time and money for it. I had planned to get the Absolute edtions but now I see that DC is coming out with a Omnibus in August.

THE SANDMAN OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC
Written by NEIL GAIMAN
Art by VARIOUS
Cover by DAVE McKEAN
On sale AUGUST 21 • 1,040 pg, FC, 150.00 US • MATURE READERS
This massive hardcover collects THE SANDMAN #1-37 and THE SANDMAN SPECIAL #1—the first half of Neil Gaiman’s acclaimed horror classic. Upon his escape from captivity at the hands of a mortal, Morpheus must deal with the changes within himself and his realm. His journey to find his place in the world takes him through mythical worlds to retrieve his belongings, the backroads of America for a twisted reunion, and even Hell itself.

Now I'm not sure which to get, I have some Marvel Omnibus and assume that are simular to DC's but I don't have any Absolute editions.
Old 03-20-13, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,504 Posts
Re: Sandman: OMNIBUS or Absolute?

Some of the past DC Omnibus have had binding issues, though they've reportedly been corrected in later volumes, so maybe this one will be ok.

I have the Absolutes, and they are magnificent but heavy and difficult to just pick up and read because of the oversized nature of the books. Of course, this omnibus will also be hard to pick up and read because of the sheer size of the volume. If you just want to read it (and you know you want the whole series instead of just trying part of it out) there's also a set that includes the tpbs of the entire regular series for 199 retail (150 Amazon). That will be slightly cheaper than this, which is 150x2 retail or 99x2 Amazon, and will also be easier to read.

Unless this is an exception, the DC omnibus releases typically have little in the way of extras; most don't even seem to get introductions by the creators or anything, so I doubt there's anything extra in this set.
Old 03-20-13, 04:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want a big, oversized collection, the Absolutes are 100% the way to go.

If you just want to kick back and read, get the individual TBPs.
Old 03-20-13, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I plan on the omnibus although I'm pissed that they've raised the price to $150.
Old 03-20-13, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I have the Absolutes. They have some good extras in them; don't know if those will carry over to these Omnibuses. The Absolutes also come in nice slipcases that protect the books.

I'd also be wary of the size of the omnibuses; they're going to be twice the size of the Absolutes if they collect the whole thing in two of them, so they'll be fucking huge and cumbersome to read.
Old 03-20-13, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sandman-Slipca...andman+omnibus

It has all of the TBS's in a nice artbox. I've wanted to get it for a while now but still haven't taken the plunge, but I do hope to get this edition at some point. It is more affordable and I'd prefer the smaller book format so that it's easier to hold/carry around.
Old 03-20-13, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I think it's a bit redundant that they are making the Sandman series in omnibus form since you have the TB and absolutes. If you love the series, spend the extra money and get the absolutes. If you want to just read them, Gen's recommendation is the way to go.
Old 03-21-13, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Even though I love the idea of an Omnibus, I don't think they make for a particularly good book to read. They are too cumbersome and often have gutter loss. The Absolutes look magnificent and I find them easier to read.
Old 03-21-13, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Even though I love the idea of an Omnibus, I don't think they make for a particularly good book to read. They are too cumbersome and often have gutter loss. The Absolutes look magnificent and I find them easier to read.
You must of never read a Marvel Omnibus as they open all the way flat without having to hold the pages apart. And I've heard that DC is getting better with each one they put out.
Old 03-22-13, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
You must of never read a Marvel Omnibus as they open all the way flat without having to hold the pages apart. And I've heard that DC is getting better with each one they put out.
I have several Omnibuses from Marvel. They don't have the gutter loss, but I still find them cumbersome to flip the pages and read. I really wish the publishers would break the Omnibuses up into smaller volumes.
Old 03-22-13, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just decide and get to reading! The Sandman is probably the greatest comic book ever written.
Old 03-24-13, 10:11 PM

Is getting the Absolute editions the only way to read every single Sandman story? I thought I read that there were some stories in the Absolute editions that you can't get anywhere else.
Old 03-24-13, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DoctorWhosScarf
Is getting the Absolute editions the only way to read every single Sandman story? I thought I read that there were some stories in the Absolute editions that you can't get anywhere else.
I might be mistaken, but I don't believe there is any new content. I don't have volume 5, but I'm pretty sure even it is completely made up of previously released material.
Old 03-24-13, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DoctorWhosScarf
There are a handful of stories in the Absolutes that aren't in the other TPBs or HCs:

Absolute Sandman Vol 2 contains the Desire story from Winter's Edge #1 and the short prose story from a Sandman statue.

Absolute Sandman Vol 3 contains the Desire story from Winter's Edge #3

Absolute Death contains the Death story from Winter's Edge #2 (illustrated by Jeffrey Jones) and "The Wheel" from one of the 9/11 tribute books DC did -- though I think these two stories are included in recently issued "Death: Deluxe Edition" hardcover.

The reason that these were never included in the TPB and HC editions is that these stories were all created after the TPB and HCs of the whole series were released, and DC never updated the contents of those books in later editions.

If anyone wants to read these stories, the original Winters Edge books shouldn't be too hard to find, and I think DC also released these stories in one of their giant-sized $7.99 "Resurrected" specials. The Deluxe Death HC is also available for "The Wheel" at a retail price of $35 (though it can be had for much less online).

ETA: Here's the "Resurrected" special: http://www.ign.com/articles/2010/12/...-edge-1-review It does include all three of Gaiman's Endless stories from those books.
Old 06-29-13, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[IMG][/IMG]

Got it a few weeks ago but have not had a chance to start reading it. I was most worried about the price but once I got it I could see that it was worth it.
Old 06-29-13, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just a small word of caution... The first seven issues of Sandman can be a little rough. Gaiman was still finding his footing at the time and it was riffing heavily on Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. By issue #8 "The Sound of Her Wings," Gaiman had found his voice and the book becomes its own thing.

I know a few people that started the first paperback and didn't understand what the big deal was, and had to be prodded to pick up the second one.
Old 06-30-13, 04:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't say that the first seven issues are rough. They've got lots of intriguing elements to them, and while Gaiman was clearly influenced by Alan Moore, he already does have his own voice.
Old 06-30-13, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've known a few people who have trouble getting past "Preludes and Nocturnes."

It might have something to do with Sam Kieth's art, though.
Old 06-30-13, 08:42 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Iirc, there are a few more call-outs to DC continuity that first arc, which is probably why I loved it from the start.
Old 12-06-13, 03:59 PM

Is there a handy list of DC Omnibus/Absolute editions somewhere? I was trying to piece together several Vertigo series i loved reading in the 90s via TPB, but these HC editions are much nicer on my bookshelf. I know of the following

Absolute Sandman 1-4
Animal Man Omnibus
House of Secrets Omnibus
Invisibles Omnibus

and next year Doom Patrol Omnibus

any others?
Old 12-06-13, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by JorgeC
Is there a handy list of DC Omnibus/Absolute editions somewhere? I was trying to piece together several Vertigo series i loved reading in the 90s via TPB, but these HC editions are much nicer on my bookshelf. I know of the following

Absolute Sandman 1-4
Animal Man Omnibus
House of Secrets Omnibus
Invisibles Omnibus

and next year Doom Patrol Omnibus

any others?

For Absolutes there's this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Comics_Absolute_Edition

Omnibus:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nibus_Editions
Old 12-09-13, 05:20 PM