The Following -- "Love Hurts" -- 3/18/13

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-13, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
The Following -- "Love Hurts" -- 3/18/13

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

With Weston still in the hospital, Ryan and Parker attempt to outsmart their new leader Nick (guest star Mike Colter) as a way to continue their search. In a surprising move, Joe reaches out to Ryan to demand Claire's location and reveals that he will go to great lengths to lure her out of FBI custody. Meanwhile, followers from the past make a shocking return in the "Love Hurts" episode of THE FOLLOWING airing Monday, March 18 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (FOL-109) (TV-14 L, S, V)

Episode 9 of 15
Old 03-18-13, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: The Following -- "Love Hurts" -- 3/18/13

Still hasn't aired on the West coast yet.

Shocked to see that as of 11:22pm ET noone from the East is complaining like the last several weeks. Or did they all go to bed with this unwatched?
Old 03-18-13, 10:28 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched it. No complaints.
Old 03-18-13, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Did it sound like Kevin Bacon said "run the gambit" instead of "run the gamut" to anyone else?

Why didn't the friend of the harpooned girl yell for someone to stop the killer? You'd think someone in the diner might try to stop her.
Old 03-19-13, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk God

I enjoyed tonight's episode. Surprised to see 2 actors from Homeland as guest stars. Harpoon gun girl played Aileen on Homeland. Saw alot of similarities between the 2 characters. I was pretty surprised when she threw Claire Matthews out the window. That was an almost R rated death scene. Total nut job.

The other actor from Homeland was the blonde in the restaurant who took the message for Ryan. She played Carrie's sister.

Another strange death scene with Paul letting Jacob suffocate him to give his life meaning. I also think he sacrificed himself to help give Jacob the edge he needs to be one of the The Followers since he's pretty much acted like a wimp.

Surprised they killed off Louise tonight. I thought she was going to be significant in Joe' s future plans. I guess that now falls under Roderick. At least Ryan's killing the nut jobs without hesitation when the situation calls for it.
Old 03-19-13, 08:37 AM

I like this show but if there's one complaint that I have, it's the way that the show just kills off characters so quickly and needlessly when many of them can be used long-term. Charlie was one of those characters. Louise was also a psycho who could've been used to stir up trouble with other cult members. And having Jacob kill Paul was just STUPID, STUPID, AND MORE STUPID! Not only was Adan Canto nice to look at, he was also a fine actor who played the role of Paul very well. Most people have said that the best part of the show was the Emma/Jacob/Paul dynamic. That dynamic is now lost, needlessly. The show needs to start holding on to followers a bit longer. Maybe have them fighting and scheming amongst each other instead of every episode being them vs. the police.
Old 03-19-13, 08:39 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

"It's a freakin metaphor!"
Old 03-19-13, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

During the opening I thought to myself, "Hmmm, I wonder if they are reading the threads in TV Talk".

I think that might have addressed a number of issues right off the bat. And here we got some great character development and inch the plot forward a bit.

Also, huge to the producers for putting a Refused song in the episode. That had me screaming at the TV in delight.
Old 03-19-13, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really liked this episode for the most part, Ryan just straight up dropping Louise was fun... Didnt like that they were able to get a location on Claire, but I can get over that. Also, the Roderick character is becomming my favorite.
Old 03-19-13, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Easy Way To Solve 'The Following' Murders - Deadline.com

A couple of thoughts on TV from a feature guy. The Kevin Williamson-created Fox series The Following might be the most aggravating but addictive series to come down the pike in some time. Kevin Bacon plays an FBI agent trying to capture a serial killer (James Purefoy) who has accumulated a Manson Family-like group of creepy disciples all too eager to commit unimaginably horrible acts on the killer’s behalf. As if that in itself wasn’t unlikely enough, the killer met all of his acolytes when they visited him in prison. Hasn’t anybody in the FBI thought of checking the visitor list from his days behind bars, rather than waiting and reacting to the latest horror? Can the FBI really be that dumb?
Old 03-19-13, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I had the same question after the first episode. But they established early on (when talking about the gay couple) that the visitors used detailed aliases.

So at best, they'd have facial recognition from any video surveillance. Not sure if that would really give them much - but who knows.
Old 03-19-13, 02:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
I had the same question after the first episode. But they established early on (when talking about the gay couple) that the visitors used detailed aliases.

So at best, they'd have facial recognition from any video surveillance. Not sure if that would really give them much - but who knows.
Yes, even in this episode they mentioned that there were many (hundreds?) visitors who used false names when they visited Carroll. Now, it may be just me, but does someone on death row have unlimited access to visitors? I wouldn't think so.
Old 03-19-13, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by dave94
Yes, even in this episode they mentioned that there were many (hundreds?) visitors who used false names when they visited Carroll. Now, it may be just me, but does someone on death row have unlimited access to visitors? I wouldn't think so.
Yeah there has to be some rule. But they did cover that not all of the followers visited him in prison. Joe specifically said he didn't recognize everyone at the house, to which Roderick replied - they had been recruiting.

so it probably wasn't hundreds of visitors. so far, we're under 20.
Old 03-19-13, 04:34 PM

Finally an episode without massive, egregious police incompetence! Really liked Ryan shooting Louise without hesitation although his marksmanship could have been better. I was really surprised she died, though - the place he hit her certainly wasn't instantly fatal or even necessarily incapacitating. I didn't like the way they found Clare. C'mon - they have someone who can break phone encryptions and then follow the several times transferred call? Must have a nut job buried in the NSA. Otherwise, a good episode, although I did miss the comedy.
Old 03-19-13, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by 45shooter
I was really surprised she died, though - the place he hit her certainly wasn't instantly fatal or even necessarily incapacitating.
Not to mention body shots in shows like this ALWAYS end up with the person being alive because they were wearing a vest.
Old 03-20-13, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux

Send the videos of all the visitors to the Jeffersonian. Angela will have figured out who everyone really is in no time.
Old 03-20-13, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Did it sound like Kevin Bacon said "run the gambit" instead of "run the gamut" to anyone else?

Why didn't the friend of the harpooned girl yell for someone to stop the killer? You'd think someone in the diner might try to stop her.
I was slightly surprised that no one attempted to stop her at the diner, however they made up for it by having a douche in the diner start taking pics of the dying girl with his phone. Which, lets face it, is the more realistic response these days.
Old 03-20-13, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
I was slightly surprised that no one attempted to stop her at the diner, however they made up for it by having a douche in the diner start taking pics of the dying girl with his phone. Which, lets face it, is the more realistic response these days.
I missed that! I felt the same way about the diner scene. In fact, if some stranger sits down across from me and starts doing something under the table while giving me some weird message, I have to think I'm getting up.

Another oddity for me--is it really that easy to go crashing through a window that many stories up?

I have these thoughts, but it doesn't keep me from continuing to enjoy the show. Still interested to see where it all goes over the next few weeks.
Old 03-20-13, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Another strange death scene with Paul letting Jacob suffocate him to give his life meaning. I also think he sacrificed himself to help give Jacob the edge he needs to be one of the The Followers since he's pretty much acted like a wimp.
At least this one was infinitely better than Charlie's suicide last week. We'll see what this leads to. I would rather that they kept Paul alive since I find him to be the more interesting character. I guess Jacob has some problems with his father as they kept on alluding to it during this episode.

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Also, the Roderick character is becomming my favorite.
I thought that one scene where he was reading that email out loud in the ballroom was hilarious. Outside from Carroll, he's one of the few characters that have an actual personality. If they start incorporating more snark, I'm going to be more forgiving of the police errors.
Old 03-20-13, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
I thought that one scene where he was reading that email out loud in the ballroom was hilarious. Outside from Carroll, he's one of the few characters that have an actual personality. If they start incorporating more snark, I'm going to be more forgiving of the police errors.
Agree - that was a great scene. Really helped to establish his character/personality. Funny, too.
Old 03-20-13, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
I thought the same thing (about no one attempting to stop her), but then i realized that people probably had NO idea what was going on. It wasn't loud like a gun, and the woman's injuries weren't visibly obvious to everyone (wasn't a head shot or something).

If some woman just started screaming in a restaurant I was in, i'd have the same reaction - i'd be drawn to the screaming, not looking for someone walking away.

Same would probably happen with a stabbing, unless you actually saw it happen.
Old 03-20-13, 09:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love how Roderick seems to have it in for Emma. She seems in trouble now, between sleeping with Joe, Roderick's interest in perturbing her, and now Jacob back (and with Paul dead and Jacob angry after being abandoned and having to kill Paul).

Should be an interesting last 6.
Old 03-21-13, 12:21 AM

I'll be annoyed if Jacob killing Paul doesn't bring a major change in his character. There's just no way he's going to survive being a wimp in a house full of killers!
Old 03-21-13, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Frederic
I'll be annoyed if Jacob killing Paul doesn't bring a major change in his character. There's just no way he's going to survive being a wimp in a house full of killers!
He's obviously now going to become the most psychotic of all the killers. He'll go so far off the deep end, that Joe has to kick him out of the clubhouse.