Dallas -- "J.R.'s Masterpiece" -- 3/11/13

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-13, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Dallas -- "J.R.'s Masterpiece" -- 3/11/13

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

J.R. meets his end as the family tries to unite to mourn his death with numerous colorful characters from J.R.'s past. Before long, however, shocking news is revealed.

Episode 8 of 15

RIP Larry Hagman and J.R. Ewing

Patrick Duffy revealed we will learn who killed J.R. by the season finale.
Old 03-11-13, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: Dallas -- "J.R.'s Masterpiece" -- 3/11/13

I enjoyed this except for the missing relatives. The ending was very intriguing, and I liked the special opening theme music. I'm thrilled to see a certain Ewing in the previews!
Old 03-11-13, 10:00 PM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

Who did it show?
Old 03-11-13, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
Who did it show?
Spoiler:
Valene
Old 03-11-13, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It would be awesome if the killer turned out to be Pam, Christopher's mother, especially now that we know J.R. was trying to find her. If it turns out he had a hand in her leaving Bobby and Christopher all those years ago and she recently found this out, it might give her enough motive to shoot him. I know Victoria Principal has said she doesn't want to come back, but maybe she'll change her mind or it's just a ruse. It reminds me of a certain actress on Downton Abbey who publicly stated that Season 3 would be her last, but now she's filming Season 4. So maybe there's hope for VP returning too?
Old 03-12-13, 05:20 AM

Is Pam alive in the TNT series’ continuity? Exec producer Cynthia Cidre concedes that “the mythology is torn” when it comes to the character created by Victoria Principal.

“The last time she was seen, which I believe is Episode 282 of Dallas 1.0, she had hit an oil tanker and the car exploded, and she was burnt,” Cidre recalls. “The last time Bobby saw her she was wrapped head-to-toe in bandages, and then she ran away. Several months later, there was one scene where she asked Cliff, her brother, to come see her in a hotel room, and she was with a plastic surgeon who had made her presentable. Cliff says, ‘Don’t you want to come back to Dallas?’ She said, ‘No, I don’t.”

What that “new” Pam — played the one time only by Margaret Michaels — was hiding was that she only had months to live, and as such didn’t wish her loved ones to “lose her again.”

Bringing back Pam with a new face would certainly rock the worlds of both Christopher and Bobby and solve the issue of Victoria Principal’s steadfast refusal to reprise the role.

Asked by TVLine about that proclamation, Cidre shrugs, “Well, we’re not in control of Victoria Principal’s statements, and let’s just say that we have had a plan for this character from the beginning, actually before Larry [Hagman]‘s passing.

“We were always going to have Christopher go looking for his mother,” the EP continued, “and I can’t reveal to you how it turns out, but I think it’s pretty clever!”
Old 03-12-13, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
It would be awesome if the killer turned out to be Pam, Christopher's mother, especially now that we know J.R. was trying to find her. If it turns out he had a hand in her leaving Bobby and Christopher all those years ago and she recently found this out, it might give her enough motive to shoot him. I know Victoria Principal has said she doesn't want to come back, but maybe she'll change her mind or it's just a ruse. It reminds me of a certain actress on Downton Abbey who publicly stated that Season 3 would be her last, but now she's filming Season 4. So maybe there's hope for VP returning too?
I think that was the plan...whether Victoria's comments are just a smokescreen to make this year's cliffhanger more of a surprise, or whether they wind up hiring a new actress remains to be seen...but I think they intend to make Pam somehow responsible for JR's shooting (who else would get such a reaction out of Bobby when he saw the letter JR left him?!).

As for last night's episode, they FINALLY gave Patrick Duffy some juicy scenes...he's going to to have to become the heart and soul of the show now that Larry is gone, so last night's show was a good start. I STILL think they need a couple of old regulars as part of the main cast. I don't think Gary's character (or Lucy for that matter) is very interesting...I wish they'd make Ray Krebbs a regular - they need another "Ewing brother" in the cast.
Old 03-12-13, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I think that was the plan...whether Victoria's comments are just a smokescreen to make this year's cliffhanger more of a surprise, or whether they wind up hiring a new actress remains to be seen...but I think they intend to make Pam somehow responsible for JR's shooting (who else would get such a reaction out of Bobby when he saw the letter JR left him?!).

As for last night's episode, they FINALLY gave Patrick Duffy some juicy scenes...he's going to to have to become the heart and soul of the show now that Larry is gone, so last night's show was a good start. I STILL think they need a couple of old regulars as part of the main cast. I don't think Gary's character (or Lucy for that matter) is very interesting...I wish they'd make Ray Krebbs a regular - they need another "Ewing brother" in the cast.
I agree they need more old regulars. So far Gary doesn't have much to do, but I'd be ok if he stuck around as long as they gave him more of a reason to be there. The problem for the writers is Ray and Gary both get along with Bobby, so the writers would have to create conflict between Bobby and his brothers to make it interesting. Do you think they're trying to push Gary and Sue Ellen together as a couple or is Sue Ellen getting chummy with him for business purposes only? Either way, if Gary's wife sees it going on, she's bound to hate it.
Old 03-12-13, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

cliff was a real ass
I liked it when that random guy started bad mouthing JR after Cliff left and Christopher stepped in and threw the first punch instead of John Ross
Old 03-12-13, 07:45 PM

Monday’s farewell to J.R. Ewing gave TNT’s Dallas a shot in the arm ratings-wise.

The emotional hour drew 3.6 million viewers, a 28 percent boost over last week’s episode and the show’s largest audience of the season.

In the target demos, the episode corralled 1.4 million adults 25-54 (up 26% vs. last week) and 1.1 million adults 18-49 (up 23%).

The impressive numbers are nonetheless a far cry from the nearly 7 million who tuned in for Dallas‘ premiere last summer.

TNT has yet to make a decision on renewing Dallas for a third season.
Old 03-12-13, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Avid fan of the original series. I tuned in for the first time to check out this episode and was pretty horrified at how old the actors are, particularly Kercheval. I think the character should be more worried about incontinence than a family feud. Really detracts from trying to enjoy watching the show. I say leave well enough alone. But if there's a following for the redux then I guess I can abide.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 03-13-13 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-13-13, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

At least this has created some new mysteries/directions for the show. Something it sorely needed.
Old 03-13-13, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

This was a really well done episode. The special opening sequence with the slower music and footage of Hagman was really cool.

I dig this J.R. murder mystery. I agree with the Producers that this was the only appropriate way to write out J.R.

and wow, Emma....what a slut. Looks like Ann is going to have her hands full with her.

and I agree with an earlier comment that they really gave Patrick Duffy some great material. He really did shine in this episode. Probably his best performance since the 1st couple of episodes last season.
Old 03-13-13, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Avid fan of the original series. I tuned in for the first time to check out this episode and was pretty horrified at how old the actors are, particularly Kercheval. I think the character should be more worried about incontinence that a family feud. Really detracts from trying to enjoy watching the show. I say leave well enough alone. But if there's a following for the redux then I guess I can abide.
Yes, because no show on TV should feature characters over 60.
Old 03-13-13, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Yes, because no show on TV should feature characters over 60.
Isn't that what got Harry's Law cancelled?
Old 03-13-13, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Avid fan of the original series. I tuned in for the first time to check out this episode and was pretty horrified at how old the actors are, particularly Kercheval. I think the character should be more worried about incontinence that a family feud. Really detracts from trying to enjoy watching the show. I say leave well enough alone. But if there's a following for the redux then I guess I can abide.
I'll admit when I saw the actors from the original show in last summer's premiere, I was surprised by some of their appearances because I hadn't seen some of them in many years. However, having watched every episode of the new show I'm used to them now, and I can say they all act at the same level they did in the original (good and bad). Cliff causing a scene at J.R.'s memorial seemed natural for the character and brought back memories of him doing the same thing on the old show.
Old 03-13-13, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Upon second viewing, I was left pondering these things... Why did the Mexican cops let the Ewings walk all over the crime scene? The family must have gotten there soon after the murder because the room was still a bloody mess. Was the investigation over that quickly? Did Bobby pay them off so he could visit the crime scene before it was cleaned up or are we supposed to think Bobby's Mexican friend cut through the red tape? Is that also how they got clearance to land a helicopter in the middle of a street with armed police instead of an airport or helipad? Is that how the family was able to cross the border without showing their passports to the police when they landed? I seem to recall Bobby identifying himself as "Robert James Ewing, J.R.'s brother" was sufficient proof. Really? And when the female cop said J.R.'s cell phone was found in the room, she pulled it out from under the bed, sealed in a bag. Shouldn't the phone have been in the evidence room at the cop shop by that point? Maybe they do things differently in Mexico?
Old 03-14-13, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Upon second viewing, I was left pondering these things... Why did the Mexican cops let the Ewings walk all over the crime scene? The family must have gotten there soon after the murder because the room was still a bloody mess. Was the investigation over that quickly? Did Bobby pay them off so he could visit the crime scene before it was cleaned up or are we supposed to think Bobby's Mexican friend cut through the red tape? Is that also how they got clearance to land a helicopter in the middle of a street with armed police instead of an airport or helipad? Is that how the family was able to cross the border without showing their passports to the police when they landed? I seem to recall Bobby identifying himself as "Robert James Ewing, J.R.'s brother" was sufficient proof. Really? And when the female cop said J.R.'s cell phone was found in the room, she pulled it out from under the bed, sealed in a bag. Shouldn't the phone have been in the evidence room at the cop shop by that point? Maybe they do things differently in Mexico?
If you are expecting realism on the new DALLAS, you clearly missed Ann's trial.
Old 03-14-13, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And most of 80's Television.
Old 03-14-13, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Didn't miss it, but yes, it was ridiculous. I know this is based on a 70's show, but I don't think that necessarily means the producers should make a show now with the same level of (or lack of) realism as a 70's show. In fact, I think that's what's preventing some people from watching it (and perhaps driving away others who've tried it). Some of their story ideas have been good, but their conclusions are just so hard too believe that I think they hurt the show. Things like Bobby's "TV cancer" (as Executive Cynthia Cidre called it on the after Dallas show last summer) miraculously going away; or Bobby surviving unscathed from whatever brain ailment he had after the cancer; Ann getting off the hook for attempted murder. It's just silly, not to mention insulting to the audience's intelligence. Yes, it's a soap, but at times it's fallen to the level of a daytime soap. Downton Abbey is another soap about a rich family living under one roof, but it wins awards because the writing (and acting) is so much better. I'll always watch Dallas because it was my favorite show growing up. I just wish this version would step it up a notch in terms of quality. Perhaps the "Who killed J.R.?" storyline will do just that. One can only hope.
Old 03-15-13, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Harris Ryland is an epic douche, but that black Lamborghini Aventador he pulled up to Southfork in was sweet.