Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jane Campion's Top of the Lake -- Sundance Channel

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-13, 03:59 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
Jane Campion's Top of the Lake -- Sundance Channel

12 years old and 5 months pregnant, Tui Mitcham walks into a freezing lake ... then disappears. Detective Robin Griffin returns home to investigate, but it's not a simple missing persons case. In this breathtaking but remote mountain town, there are evil forces as powerful as the land itself. And those who offer a glimpse of paradise also provide a path to hell. Trapped where happiness and honest work are just out of reach, Griffin must not only find the girl but also face her own haunting past. With the men that she once left behind now standing in her way, every step closer to solving the case unearths a dangerous truth about herself. A 7-part series starring Elisabeth Moss and Holly Hunter. Written and directed by AcademyŽ award winner, Jane Campion.

Last edited by dex14; 06-13-16 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-18-13, 08:39 AM

Re: Jane Campion's Top of the Lake - 3/18/13 - Sundance Channel

Reminder that this starts tonight.
Old 03-18-13, 09:04 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Supposedly she did nude scenes in this. Not sure which part of the miniseries they appear in or if they even made it to the final cut, but thought some might find it noteworthy.

I’m so excited for people to see you in this role. Peggy has a pretty active sex life, but this is the most you’ve ever done, right?

EM: Onscreen, yes. Definitely. [Laughs.] Yeah, that was an interesting part of it, because I knew there was going to be some nudity, and I didn’t want to do it at first. I sort of balked at it and scrutinized it and went over it, but in my initial conversations with Jane, I’d get off the phone with her and be like, "You know, I just feel safe. I have a feeling that this is going to be fine." And it wasn’t just that she told me it was gonna be fine and she told me it was gonna be safe. But Jane Campion is going to be the last … she’s the most feminist woman in the world. You know, she’s going to be the last person to take advantage of you. Most importantly, too, she was like, “You’re gonna look great.” [Laughs.] And as a female, an actress, that’s important. And you don’t want to be put in any position — pun intended — that’s not good. And she just made me feel safe. I was able to look at playback on set and make sure that things were going in the right direction. And there’s actually a lot less in [the miniseries] than we shot.
http://www.vulture.com/2013/01/elisa...interview.html
Old 03-18-13, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

7 part series. Also Elisabeth Moss is playing an Australian detective. This series is set in New Zealand.

However, I don't get Sundance in HD, so I'm hesitant to watch a crap SD feed.
Old 03-18-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
However, I don't get Sundance in HD, so I'm hesitant to watch a crap SD feed.
Same here. However, I do get Sundance HD onDemand.

I suppose I just won't be watching live.
Old 03-18-13, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk God

I just checked and Directv doesn't have Sundance On Demand in HD.
Old 03-18-13, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk God

According to the Sundance website, it says they should be available on Amazon Instant video tomorrow.

I have way too much to watch right now. When I catch up and the current TV season wraps up, I may buy the episodes from Amazon this summmer.
Old 03-20-13, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by meritocracy
Same here. However, I do get Sundance HD onDemand.

I suppose I just won't be watching live.
Same here. Thank goodness it's in HD OnDemand....

Watched Episode 1 last night. Nice scenery, accents are a bit thick sometimes, but I like the quirk of the characters so far. Not sure exactly where it's going or if this will be more a "journey not the destination" type show, meaning it's more about about the mood/vibe than the actual crime element. At just seven eps I'm probably in for the duration, though my wife was waffling a bit at the pacing.

Holly Hunter was great, especially during the scene with the young girl.
Old 03-20-13, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched the first two episodes last night. You can tell they obviously had a decent budget to work with as it comes off like a feature production. I think it's safe to say that the cinematography is absolutely gorgeous. Peter Mullan and Holly Hunter were great. Elizabeth Moss held her own. I didn't really have any issue regarding the various accents (NZ/Aussie/Scottish). However, the ending to each episode did seem rather abrupt IMO.

Campion seems drawn to characters on the edges of society and this piece seemingly fits her chosen milieu well.
Old 03-27-13, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It's a shame this thread isn't more active, but maybe this mini-series isn't getting a lot of eyeballs.
Too bad because the first three eps have been excellent, imo....
Old 04-01-13, 08:29 PM

Episode 4 airs tonight.
Old 04-16-13, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

All 7 episodes are now on Netflix.
Old 04-16-13, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info! Been looking forward to this.
Old 04-18-13, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Very well done. The last two eps were the best of the run. Anyone know who sang the songs that I assume the girl with the guitar was lipsynching...?
Old 06-08-13, 10:56 AM

12thmonkey- that girl playing the guitar writes songs and produces her own music, her name in Georgi Kay the song you hear is called Ipswich. And she is actually singing.
Old 06-08-13, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Jbrenchley
12thmonkey- that girl playing the guitar writes songs and produces her own music, her name in Georgi Kay the song you hear is called Ipswich. And she is actually singing.
Great! Thanks for the info. I will try to track down her music...
Old 06-08-13, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched this online last month. I thought it was ok. I'll give a second season a chance.
Old 06-09-13, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

^ As far as I know this was just a mini-series. There won't be a second season.
Old 06-13-16, 08:46 AM

Nicole Kidman is diving back into the TV waters via Top of the Lake.

The Oscar winner — who just wrapped production on the HBO limited series Big Little Lies opposite Reese Witherspoon — will star in the SundanceTV thriller’s upcoming second season in an unspecified role, Deadline reports. Titled Top Of The Lake: China Girl, the story — which picks up four years after the events of Season 1 — finds Elisabeth Moss’ Detective Robin Griffin investigating the case of an unidentified body which washes up on Sydney’s Bondi Beach.

The gig reunites Kidman with her Portrait Of A Lady director Jane Campion, who co-created Top of the Lake with Gerald Lee. It also affords the native Australian the opportunity to spend a few months living and working in her home country.

“I am very excited to be coming home to work with darling friend Jane Campion, whose work I *respect and admire,” Kidman told The Daily Telegraph. “I’m also so happy to be joining the incredible Elisabeth Moss.”

The Top of the Lake Season 2 cast also includes Game Of Thrones‘ Gwendoline Christie.
http://tvline.com/2016/06/13/nicole-...season-2-cast/
Old 05-11-17, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Season 2 Trailer:

Old 09-09-17, 08:56 AM

Re: Jane Campion's Top of the Lake -- Sundance Channel

Following its critically-acclaimed world premiere at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival, SundanceTV will debut the highly-anticipated limited series "Top of the Lake: China Girl" as a three-night special event starting Sunday, September 10 and continuing Monday, September 11th and Tuesday, September 12th at 9p/8c each evening. The network will present two hours of the six-hour story back-to-back each night with an encore presentation immediately following. "Jane Campion is a master storyteller and one of the most distinctive voices working in film and television today. 'Top of the Lake' was an enormous success for SundanceTV four years ago so we are thrilled to continue our creative partnership with Jane and present her latest television work of art as a special event on our air," said Jan Diedrichsen, General Manager, SundanceTV and Sundance Now. "In addition to the creative talent behind the camera, 'Top of the Lake: China Girl' boasts an all-star cast led by the stellar Elisabeth Moss, Gwendoline Christie, David Dencik, Ewen Leslie, Alice Englert, and Nicole Kidman, and we couldn't be prouder of their work on this limited series." In "Top of the Lake: China Girl" we see Detective Robin Griffin (Elisabeth Moss) recently returned to Sydney and trying to rebuild her life. When the body of an Asian girl washes up on Bondi Beach, there appears little hope of finding the killer, until Robin realizes 'China Girl' didn't die alone. Robin looks to the investigation to restore herself, but her problems are personal. Haunted by a daughter given up at birth, Robin desperately wants to find her, yet dreads revealing the truth of her conception. But her search to learn the identity of 'China Girl' will take her into the city's darkest recesses and closer than she could have imagined to the secrets of her own heart.
Old 09-09-17, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Campion's The Portrait of a Lady came out on Blu-ray a few years ago. It's enjoyable period melodrama if you like Nicole Kidman.

http://doblu.com/2012/12/14/the-port...a-lady-review/
Old 09-11-17, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts
Re: Jane Campion's Top of the Lake -- Sundance Channel

I barely recognized Nicole Kidman when she appeared in Top of the Lake. They've made her look twenty years older.