Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MLB '13 - The Show

Anyone pick this up today?

IGN gave it an 8.8.
Old 03-05-13, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: MLB '13 - The Show

I was thinking about it. Target has a deal where you save $15 if you buy items from their fan central section. But I couldn't find anything worth buying so I soured on that deal. Might buy it off PSN since I'd get $10 back in April.

That or I'll just wait til the price drop like last year.
Old 03-05-13, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

I picked it up. Haven't played it yet. My Target didn't have it and Kmart had a delay in their shipment. Best Buy was closed at the time.
Old 03-06-13, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I picked it up. I always do... but Tomb Raider has my attention right now. I hope to fire it up this weekend. Over at Operationsports.com the lead developer actually answers forum questions and concerns -- very cool!
Old 03-06-13, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really leaning towards getting this after reading the IGN review. Also now that I own a Vita. I think the last one I played was about 2-3 years ago. How is the Road to the Show? I remember I enjoyed it for awhile but some of the requirements from the coach were not logical for my player/the situation and kind of killed the enjoyment for me. But now that you can pick it up on the Vita I'm leaning towards giving it a go again.
Old 03-06-13, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Bummer it's not a cross-buy game. That would have sold the game for me.
Old 03-06-13, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
Really leaning towards getting this after reading the IGN review. Also now that I own a Vita. I think the last one I played was about 2-3 years ago. How is the Road to the Show? I remember I enjoyed it for awhile but some of the requirements from the coach were not logical for my player/the situation and kind of killed the enjoyment for me. But now that you can pick it up on the Vita I'm leaning towards giving it a go again.
It seems to be toned down. For example, no more rules like telling you to take a strike, and then you homer and you get benched for not listening.

In fact, I didn't notice rules at all. You just go out and play.

I did see they changed franchise a bit. No more changing ticket prices, and vendors and all that. Dumb change, I thought that stuff was cool.

Game stutters and skips even with the full 10 gig install. Load times are a bit long.

I like it, but I'd give it a 7 out of 10.
Old 03-06-13, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wal*Mart has a pretty good deal for The Show. If you buy it there, you get a 30-day trial of MLB.tv Premium. Since one month of Premium costs $24.99, and Premium comes with the AtBat app, that's about $28 in freebies.

I don't know how interested I am in watching out of market games in April, but it's still a cool option. Even the PS3 has MLB.tv on it.
Old 03-07-13, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
Even the PS3 has MLB.tv on it.
The PQ is outstanding on it, too.
Old 03-07-13, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Bummer it's not a cross-buy game. That would have sold the game for me.
Shit, I was assuming it was a la that Playstation All Stars battle game... hmm that might damper my enthusiasm a bit, or at least make me wait awhile for price drops.
Old 03-07-13, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I decided to grab it at Wal*Mart. The cover does state the free trial for MLB.tv Premium.

It's actually a little better deal the sooner you buy the game. It's a 30 day trial, but the 30 days don't start until March 31st. So if you decide to use the voucher right away, you get Spring Training and the whole month of April. Here's the fine print:

If you have redeemed your 9 digit Redemption Code before Opening Day on 3/31/13, you will have immediate access through 4/30/13.
If you redeem after 3/31/13, you will have access for 30 days. All codes must be redeemed by 5/30/13, to end on 6/30/13.
Old 03-08-13, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I played through a season of RTTS and I'm already burnt out. It's hard to get into a career mode when you've been spoiled by NBA 2k13's excellent career mode.

Basically you just go from season to season here. Maybe request a trade or move up in the lineup. No endorsements, no meeting with the GM or manager, no press conferences, it's just boring.

I'm debating getting rid of it already.
Old 03-08-13, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thankfully they are no press conferences, because I can't stand them in NBA 2K, but I get your point.

While this game still rocks, this year's version reeks of "our game is great year after year, but we're running out of ways to make it better, so now we're just changing shit just to say we've changed stuff to get you to buy a new version". So instead of the rather un-marketable "this game is the same as last year's with new rosters and we spent the whole year fixing bugs" you get improvements that aren't really improvements and all new bugs on top of the old ones. Very Madden-ish. So yeah, while the baserunning in RTTS is no longer a clusterfuck depending on the screen swiveling around, I don't hear any play by play or commentary during my RTTS games except for on replays and at the beginning/end of the game. And who the hell thought that adding an annoying swooshing sound accompanied by a zoom across the field for every single play on defense during RTTS was a good idea? As for the new fielding for outfielders, well I'll give it some more time - but I'm averaging an error per game due to dropped easy fly balls.

Don't get me wrong, The Show is still the best, most immersive, sports game out there - it's just that I've yet to be wowed by this years changes so far.
Old 03-08-13, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The removal of play by play is supposed to make you feel like you're on the field as the players never hear it in real life. I liked the commentary so I think the change sucks. There should be a way to turn it back on.

Also I agree with the annoying zooming and whoosh sound. Get a single? Whoosh back to the batter. Two seconds pass. Whoosh back to you on first. Two seconds pass. You steal second. Whoosh back to the batter. Two seconds pass. Back to you on second. You steal third. Whoosh. Back to the batter. Two seconds. Whoosh. Back to you.

Ugh.
Old 03-15-13, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
The removal of play by play is supposed to make you feel like you're on the field as the players never hear it in real life. I liked the commentary so I think the change sucks. There should be a way to turn it back on.

Also I agree with the annoying zooming and whoosh sound. Get a single? Whoosh back to the batter. Two seconds pass. Whoosh back to you on first. Two seconds pass. You steal second. Whoosh back to the batter. Two seconds pass. Back to you on second. You steal third. Whoosh. Back to the batter. Two seconds. Whoosh. Back to you.

Ugh.
Agreed. I just got to play this for the first time the other day - WTF!

Totally ruining the RttS experience for me. I like the changes to fielding where you actually have to look up, but then they do something stupid like that and take you right out of the game. Usually I play RttS non-stop for the first 2 months the game is out, but now I really don't want to.
Old 03-15-13, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm right there with you. I haven't played this since release. I'll probably go back to it but it's been pretty disappointing this year.

Maybe when the season starts I might get back into it.
Old 03-17-13, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I've played it some more this weekend but still hate the zoom.

I will say I seem to be having my best start ever in AA. I don't know if it's because I'm wearing glasses now or if they have the AA pitchers throwing more strikes, but after 150 at bats I have 16 homers, 53 RBI and a .550 average. I'm not sure why I haven't been called up to at least AAA yet.
Old 03-18-13, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I just noticed on my reward zone page that there is a gamer's club offer to save $10 on this. So anyone thinking of getting it may want to check their RZ account page first.
Old 03-18-13, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I will say I seem to be having my best start ever in AA. I don't know if it's because I'm wearing glasses now or if they have the AA pitchers throwing more strikes, but after 150 at bats I have 16 homers, 53 RBI and a .550 average. I'm not sure why I haven't been called up to at least AAA yet.
OK I am now into June on my first AA season, still hitting almost .550 with 21 HR's and 70+ RBI. Oh and a 52 game hitting streak as well. And they STILL won't promote me to AAA. WTF.
Old 12-12-13, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thinking of picking this up in the Sony PSN sale this week for $10. I haven't played a videogame baseball game in years. If I get this, it will have to last me for a while as I won't be getting MLB Show '14. So, does anyone know if official roster updates will happen in 2014 for this game? Or no, because they want you to buy the next iteration? Can users make their own rosters and have others upload/update them to their own systems?

Thanks
Old 12-12-13, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No on the first one and unsure on the second one. I got it was well from the PSN sale.
Old 12-14-13, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gooter
Thinking of picking this up in the Sony PSN sale this week for $10. I haven't played a videogame baseball game in years. If I get this, it will have to last me for a while as I won't be getting MLB Show '14. So, does anyone know if official roster updates will happen in 2014 for this game? Or no, because they want you to buy the next iteration? Can users make their own rosters and have others upload/update them to their own systems?

Thanks
There are user made rosters available, and there will be rosters made up that are pretty current probably through mid-march. At that point the online servers will close and you won't be able to play online or browse those rosters. Not sure if you can download them outside of the game.
Old 12-14-13, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
There are user made rosters available, and there will be rosters made up that are pretty current probably through mid-march. At that point the online servers will close and you won't be able to play online or browse those rosters. Not sure if you can download them outside of the game.
Thanks for the info. That stinks they shut down online play for a barely a year old title. At least EA keeps their servers up for 2-3 years.