Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

In space no one can hear you baaa: Horror Movie Sheep

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-13, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by William Castle
WARNING! The following Sheep game contains scenes of intense horror and graphic violence. Those of you with weak hearts, delicate constitutions, or are just overall wusses should proceed with great caution. In the event that the game proves too intense for you and you die of fright, the Sheepmaster will pay out a $100,000 insurance policy to your next of kin*. Proceed … if you dare!
* No, not really. But I will feel bad and send a card to your funeral. And you have to admit … that would make for a pretty funny obituary.

Welcome to Horror Movie Sheep!

Intro for first time players
Spoiler:

(Reverse) Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions.

The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers. The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like "Name a great color." Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our five players answered like this:

Players A, C, and E said "Blue"
Players B and D said "Green"
Player F said "Chartreuse"

Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The "Blue" players get -3 points (and the best answer). The "Green" players get -2 points. Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.

The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exact opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like "Name a state on the Atlantic Coast." Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:

Players D and E said "Delaware"
Players F and B said "Maine"
Player C said "Texas"
Player A said "South Carolina"

The "Delaware" players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The "Maine" players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong.

That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

General Rules
Spoiler:

• The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
  • Example Sheep question: "Name a professional golfer." A good answer might be Tiger Woods and a bad answer might be Chichi Rodriguez.
  • Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name a play by Shakespeare." Romeo & Juliet might be a bad answer, but Two Gentlemen of Verona might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
  • Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive. The lowest score wins.
  • There is no such thing as wrong answer for a Sheep question. Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer.
  • You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, etc. Use only what's in your head.
  • Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers, set info, or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 20 points right off the bat.
  • Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
  • Sheep questions are marked by an S:, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.

Game-Specific Rules
Spoiler:

• Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:
    1 Unique is awarded -15
    2 Uniques are awarded -10 each
    3 Uniques are awarded -6 each
    4 Uniques are awarded -3 each
    5+ Uniques are awarded -1 each
  • Slam Dunks {sd} Players have the power of multipliers in their hands. Each player is given five (5) Slam Dunks ({sd}s) which they use by adding {sd} to the end of their answer. Slam Dunks have different effects depending on the question you use them in:
    • In Sheep questions, the {sd} adds 1 to the Multiplier. Due to stacked Slam Dunks becoming a bit too powerful in these games, I’m limiting the stacking to 2 on any given question. If you place more than that on a single question, the additional Slam Dunks will not count.
    • In Reverse Sheep questions, you can use a single {sd} to turn the question into a sheep question for you. However, if your answer is wrong, it does nothing. I will answer any questions you have about Slam Dunks.

• Note: All "movie" answers have to be theatrically released feature-length films, not straight-to-DVD releases, TV films, promotional films, TV episodes, etc. If more than one movie has a particular title, please specify which one you mean (by year, stars, director ... anything that makes it clear). I’ve intentionally limited the number of reverse questions in this game to avoid the problem of differing interpretations of what a horror movie is (which is all too apparent if you ever follow the Halloween Challenge lists). Here is a good definition from Wikipedia:

Horror is a film genre seeking to elicit a negative emotional reaction from viewers by playing on the audience's primal fears. Horror films often feature scenes that startle the viewer; the macabre and the supernatural are frequent themes. Thus they may overlap with the fantasy, supernatural, and thriller genres.

Horror films often deal with the viewer's nightmares, hidden fears, revulsions and terror of the unknown. Plots within the horror genre often involve the intrusion of an evil force, event, or personage, commonly of supernatural origin, into the everyday world. Prevalent elements include ghosts, aliens, vampires, werewolves, curses, satanism, demons, gore, torture, vicious animals, monsters, zombies, cannibals, and serial killers. Conversely, movies about the supernatural are not necessarily always horrific.
    Any movie with horror as one of its genres in imdb, allmovie.com, or Wikipedia will certainly be correct (though you can’t peek to double-check your answer!). If an answer seems borderline to you, you’re taking a risk that it will be marked wrong. And as always, there are no wrong answers for the sheep questions!

And another reminder: Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 20 points right off the bat.

I will also correct mistakes you may have made when originally sending me your answers at a cost of 10 points.

Read the game-specific rules. I slightly changed how you can use Slam Dunks from what you may be used to.

I don’t plan on taking more than 30 players, so once we get close to filling I’ll close things off (with special passes available to former Sheepmasters). At that point, give me a couple of days for scoring and organization of answers and hopefully we can get this going early next week.

The Questions

1. R: The Oscars were earlier in the week, and once again no horror movie took home a trophy Name a horror movie that won an Academy Award.
    2. S: Name a movie vampire besides Dracula. [If you just name a movie without giving a name to the vampire, do not expect to match anyone]
    3. S: Besides the “Alien” series, which movie best combines horror with science fiction?
    4. S: Horror has had its ups and downs over the history of cinema. What was the best decade for horror movies? [2000’s to the present will count as a single decade]
    5. R: Name a silent horror movie.
    6. S: Which monster/killer do you think has the biggest (on-screen) body count?
    7. S: Horror movies are known for memorable and shocking death scenes. What was the best one? [Don’t just name the movie but be specific about what death scene you’re talking about.]
    8. S: You hear a major studio has started development on your favorite horror book/comic/game. What director would make you most excited to be attached to the project?
    9. R: Name a monster whose name appears in the title of a Godzilla movie.
    10. S: Great music can play a huge role in the effectiveness of a horror movie. What is a horror movie with a great musical score?
    11. S: What is the best ghost movie?
    12. S: Ed Wood’s “Plan 9 from Outer Space” is often (unfairly, IMO) credited as being the worst horror movie of all time. Not counting that movie, what is the worst horror movie of all-time?
    13. R: Name a movie directed by John Carpenter.
    14. S: Sadly, the days of movie stars known primarily for horror seem to be largely a thing of the past. Name a horror movie star.
    15. S: Most horror movie sequels suck. Name one that doesn’t.
    16. R: Name an actor that has played Frankenstein’s monster in a theatrical film.
    17. S: What is the best foreign-language (non-English) horror movie?
    18. S: Even though they seem to be completely opposite genres, horror and comedy are often mixed to great success. What’s the best horror-comedy?
    19. S:“Zombies, man. They creep me out.” What is your favorite zombie movie?
    20. S: What was Vincent Price’s best movie?
    21. R: Name a movie adapted from a story by H.P. Lovecraft.
    22. S: What is the scariest movie of all time?

Submissions/revisions are now closed. Check the thread for updates on game times.

Last edited by brainee; 03-03-13 at 12:46 PM.
    Old 03-01-13, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
    Re: In space no one can hear you baaa: Horror Movie Sheep

I'm in. Will send my answers later tonight.
    Old 03-01-13, 06:36 PM
    DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, I'm in. Answers forthcoming.
    Old 03-01-13, 07:16 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

I'm in my answers will be in later tonight.
    Old 03-01-13, 07:17 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sent.
    Old 03-01-13, 07:24 PM
    DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My horrible answers have been sent. I like limiting the slam dunks.
    Old 03-01-13, 07:41 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

I'll be sending soon.

Also, finally that sci-fi/horror film class I took in College will finally come in handy.
    Old 03-01-13, 07:47 PM

Sent.
    Old 03-01-13, 07:54 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

If a movie has a remake with the same name, how will the matching work in a Sheep question?

For example, how would these three answers be matched up:

Sabrina
    Sabrina (1954)
    Sabrina (1995)
    Old 03-01-13, 07:56 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
    If a movie has a remake with the same name, how will the matching work in a Sheep question?

Sabrina
    Sabrina (1954)
    Sabrina (1995)
    If I ran the game, I would pm whoever said Sabrina and ask them to clarify. If they didn't respond, it goes with whichever one has the least number of matches (in sheep).
    Old 03-01-13, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
    If I ran the game, I would pm whoever said Sabrina and ask them to clarify. If they didn't respond, it goes with whichever one has the least number of matches (in sheep).
    That sounds fair to me.
    Old 03-01-13, 08:14 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
    My horrible answers have been sent. I like limiting the slam dunks.
    I'm glad I took the time to re-read the instructions because I had them stacked. I wonder how many will miss that.
    Old 03-01-13, 08:17 PM

Good call on the {sd} change by the way, basically these games have come down to stacking all your slam dunks on one question.
    Old 03-01-13, 08:20 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Answers sent, thanks brainee.
    Old 03-01-13, 08:22 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Answers Sent. I hope most of you are about the same age as me when it comes to sheep questions.
    Old 03-01-13, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Answers sent.
    Old 03-01-13, 08:27 PM

This seems to be filling up fast, so I submitted my answer. For one of these, I had to go with a second choice because I couldn't remember the title of a movie. I can remember the director, the stars, the plot, etc -- but not the title!
    Old 03-01-13, 08:30 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sabrina
    Sabrina (1954)
    Sabrina (1995)
    Good point ... which I thought about but forgot to include in my instructions Yeah, I'd like people to specify which movie if more than one has the same name. Hopefully that won't be too much of a pain in the buns.

EDIT: Amended the instructions ... like everyone reads through them all
    Old 03-01-13, 08:31 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For one of these, I had to go with a second choice because I couldn't remember the title of a movie. I can remember the director, the stars, the plot, etc -- but not the title!
    It was that movie with that guy ... where they do that thing ... yeah, I hate when that happens
    Old 03-01-13, 08:36 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
    Good point ... which I thought about but forgot to include in my instructions Yeah, I'd like people to specify which movie if more than one has the same name. Hopefully that won't be too much of a pain in the buns.

EDIT: Amended the instructions ... like everyone reads through them all
    I sent my clarifications so you don't have to ask me.
    Old 03-01-13, 08:45 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
    I sent my clarifications so you don't have to ask me.
    And if anyone is worried ... there's no penalty for sending me a second pm to clarify this (there's only a penalty for any changes to an original submission).

I tried to make these questions broad enough so that all generations of horror movie fans could compete. At first, I was thinking of questions like "Name a Mario Bava movie". But then envisioned getting most answers like "Mario who?" or "Super Mario Brothers".

While I'm not playing myself, I'm really curious what the answers will be. Even if I was playing I'm not sure I'd do really well. Like orangecrush said ... the sheep answers may be massively dependent on your age (or the age of horror movies you like the most).
    Old 03-01-13, 09:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush
    I'll be sending soon.

Also, finally that sci-fi/horror film class I took in College will finally come in handy.
    I took a sci/fi horror class in college too...not that it will do me any good.

answers sent...

Last edited by ivelostr2; 03-01-13 at 09:46 PM.
    Old 03-01-13, 09:29 PM
    DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

answers sent
    Old 03-01-13, 10:25 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Sent answers. This is my first time participating in Sheep. mostly because the rules always looked too long to read. Turned out to be not as complicated as I thought (I hope)
    Old 03-01-13, 10:27 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

This seems to be filling up fast, so I submitted my answer. For one of these, I had to go with a second choice because I couldn't remember the title of a movie. I can remember the director, the stars, the plot, etc -- but not the title!
    Curious, who is the director/star? And don't say John Carpenter/Jamie Lee Curtis or Joe Dante/Dick Miller.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.