Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Staircase (Sundance / Netflix) -- true crime docuseries

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-13, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The Staircase (Sundance / Netflix) -- true crime docuseries

Must watch repeat airing of "The Staircase" on SUNDANCE Ch, catch them next week repeating on Sundance...

one last chance to watch this as its been airing for the past 6 weeks

http://www.sundancec.../the-staircase/

spectacular true-crime mini-series from 2005, that was really an incredible watch....

repeating one last time starting monday 3/9, check your dvr/tivo and record them all!!

two follow up episodes were made for this year.. first new follow up episode to air next monday

a gripping watch...

EST
3/9/13
03:00 PM : "Crime or Accident?" Kathleen Peterson is found dead and her husband, Michael, stands accused of the killing. (Repeat)
3/9/13
04:00 PM : "Secrets and Lies"
3/9/13
05:00 PM : "A Striking Coincidence"
3/9/13
06:00 PM : "Prosecution Trickery"
3/9/13
07:00 PM: "A Weak Case?"
3/10/13
04:00 PM: "The Prosecution's Revenge"
3/10/13
05:00 PM: "The Blowpoke Returns"
3/10/13
06:00 PM: "The Verdict"
3/10/13
07:00 PM: "Last Chance" (Repeat)
Old 02-27-13, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
re: The Staircase (Sundance / Netflix) -- true crime docuseries

FYI: 'The Staircase' - which I enjoyed - leaves out A LOT of critical information concerning the case that I didn't learn until I looked into the particulars afterwards.

It's engaging to watch, but viewer be warned...
Old 02-27-13, 07:00 PM

I was going to wait until the final two new eps were added before I did any more research into the case, part of the drama was that I didn't know much of the case....

Last edited by mphtrilogy; 02-27-13 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-27-13, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
I was going to wait until the final two new eps were added before I did any more research into the case, part of the dreams was that I didn't know much of the case....
I'd be curious to see the follow up material, but the info left out during the trial portion was a bit slanted.
Old 01-30-16, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

I have to move on from "Making a Murder"; I have pretty much exhausted everything about that. So I am going to check this out now. Everything I have read says this is a nice follow-up to that as far as a "true crime" story. I know very little about it and am going in mostly blind.
Old 01-30-16, 11:13 AM

This was excellent
Old 01-30-16, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it streaming anywhere?
Old 01-30-16, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sundance - The Staircase

Amazon seems to have a 2-Disc DVD set.
Old 02-01-16, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Powered through this over the weekend. I didn't have the reaction I thought I'd have.

Spoiler:
I came away from this with the feeling he is guilty as hell!! I was waiting for the big reveal that would make me think he was not guilty. I never had that feeling. No reasonable doubt for me really like I had in the Steven Avery case. The two people dead in Germany did help my feeling he is guilty. I feel he had something to do with that as well. So sad how delusional the kids are. Wow feel really bad for them. Stunned he actually got out. At this point he has not been retried. I can't believe it after all this time.
Old 06-05-18, 10:44 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Bvv97sCcruY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Staircase follows the compelling story of Michael Peterson, a crime novelist accused of killing wife Kathleen after she is found dead at the bottom of a staircase in their home, and the 16 year judicial battle that followed. Netflix will debut three brand new episodes alongside the original 2004 series; all 13 episodes will launch globally on Netflix on June 8. Academy Award-winning documentary filmmaker, Jean-Xavier de Lestrade was granted unusual access to the case immediately following Kathleen's death in 2001 in Durham, North Carolina. Her husband, Michael, a local public figure and successful novelist, quickly becomes the prime suspect. De Lestrade's cameras were on hand to capture every moment of this extraordinary story from arrest to verdict, following in intimate detail Peterson's home, the family and his defense team as it considered its strategic options. The Staircase is a gripping real-life courtroom thriller, offering a rare and revealing inside-look at a high-profile murder trial and is an engrossing examination of contemporary American justice.
Old 06-05-18, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: The Staircase (Sundance / Netflix) -- true crime docuseries

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
FYI: 'The Staircase' - which I enjoyed - leaves out A LOT of critical information concerning the case that I didn't learn until I looked into the particulars afterwards.
Just burned through the original 8 episodes. Checked online afterward and reddit has a thorough account of damning info left out. Fairly ridiculous what they did not include.

Have burned this/The Jinx/Evil Genius in the past week .. this genre is so gripping.
Old 06-10-18, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

A little while ago I had heard about this show but didn’t look in the right place so I never watched it.

I did see th two eps of Dateline that featured this.

Don’t remember what I thought after seeing the first one but the second ep had me wondering.

For anyone who has watched this entire series do they bring up anything about the owl theory?
Old 06-12-18, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts

I was unaware of this series or this case. My daughter and I have watched the first two episodes and like it so far. Amazing the access that the defense team gives.

While watching it, I kept having this thought "Why does this all seem vaguely familiar?". I knew nothing about the case yet a lot of the beats felt like I knew them already. Then it hit me : This HAS to be the inspiration for the NBC limited series comedy Trial & Error that came out last year starring John Lithgow.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9uqELtCtOUY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-28-18, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,016 Likes on 628 Posts

I was completely unfamiliar with this story but I binged the series on Netflix over the last few days.

My gut feeling at the beginning was "This guy is guilty." But gut feelings mean jack shit when someone's accused of murder, so I tried to keep an open mind. But the circumstances of his wife's death just never added up to "falling down the stairs" to me, based on what they showed of the injuries she had. They guy's lawyers and children seemed to completely believe in his innocence, though, so I thought there must be more to this than meets the eye. I had a feeling like we weren't being shown the full story.

Originally Posted by Finisher
Just burned through the original 8 episodes. Checked online afterward and reddit has a thorough account of damning info left out. Fairly ridiculous what they did not include.
Thank you for linking to that thread. If accurate, then it is pretty irresponsible for the filmmakers to leave out all that information. Maybe a lot of it is circumstantial, but it puts the beginning of the story (her death) in a clearer context.
Old 06-28-18, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I watched the series shortly after it debuted on Netflix, and I couldn't shake the feeling that Peterson was guilty of the crime, despite all the defense's arguments. I have a hard time believing someone could develop the kinds of head wounds and overall loss of blood that Kathleen Peterson experienced just from falling down the stairs.

That being said, I also don't think (at least in the show) there was enough evidence to prosecute him. As the saying goes, it's not what you know, it's what you can prove. If I had been part of the jury, I would have said I think he's guilty, but not beyond a reasonable doubt given the lack of hard evidence.
Old 06-28-18, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

I also couldn't shake the feeling that he was guilty, based on her injuries.

Now that I've seen the 'owl theory' I'm surprised to say that it sounds like a possibility.

Those head wounds just didn't/don't make sense from either a fall, or a beating.

Although, wouldn't you think there would be microscopic examination of the scalp tissue during the postmortem examination? And if so, wouldn't there be a sign of the micro-feathers there?

One thing that gave me a creepy feeling was during the last episode, he was talking to one of the girls on the phone. She mentioned that since this is over, they'll be able to talk about non-legal (i.e. case-related) stuff, and he said something along the lines of "Until somebody else fucks up, right?" and "Well I'm planning my next one." Sure, the last part was a joke, but the first sentence struck me as odd.
Old 11-21-19, 02:05 PM

They are turning this into a series with Harrison Ford.

Harrison Ford to Star in ‘The Staircase’ Series Adaptation for Annapurna TV (EXCLUSIVE)
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/har...es-1203411141/
Old 11-21-19, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He killed his wife...pretty sick of the continued interest in this case. I hope he is not getting any $$$ for it.
Old 11-21-19, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Annapurna.
so less will see it then the restart of Mad About You.
Old 11-21-19, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by whotony
Annapurna.
so less will see it then the restart of Mad About You.
That’s the production company. They haven’t sold it to a distributor yet.
Old 11-21-19, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh. Ok.

I was just going by the part that said For Annapurna TV.

I figured it was another tv app.

Just glanced at the article but now I see it explained there
Old 11-21-19, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Btw.
The Owl did it.
Old 11-21-19, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by dex14
They are turning this into a series with Harrison Ford.

Harrison Ford to Star in ‘The Staircase’ Series Adaptation for Annapurna TV (EXCLUSIVE)
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/har...es-1203411141/

Old 12-24-21, 10:59 AM

I had forgotten that this was being made. They showed the first clip on a HBO Max 2022 trailer. It now stars Michael Stuhlbarg, Toni Collette, Sophie Turner, Dane DeHaan and Colin Firth.