Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Community - "Conventions of Space and Time" -- 02/21/2013

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-13, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Community - "Conventions of Space and Time" -- 02/21/2013

The gang go to InspecTiCon, the annual "Inspector Spacetime" convention, where Abed meets his enthusiastic pen pal, causing a rift between him and Troy. Elsewhere, Annie ditches the convention to relax in the hotel, while Jeff meets an "Inspector Spacetime" fan at a bar.
Old 02-21-13, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Community - "Conventions of Space and Time" -- 02/21/2013

Supposedly they ruin the continuity that the show is famous for. When Britta gets to the con she has no idea what the show is about, even though she's the one that introduced Abed to it.

Can't wait to read two pages of people getting pissed over the new show runners Britta'ing the show!
Old 02-21-13, 04:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Obey The D
Supposedly they ruin the continuity that the show is famous for. When Britta gets to the con she has no idea what the show is about, even though she's the one that introduced Abed to it.
Then they already ruined it in the Halloween episode, when Troy invites her over to watch the show and explains that the first few seasons are slow. I didn't see anyone bitching then.

Guess they will now, though, since some nerd randomly remembered this inconsequential fact and will undoubtedly bring it up everywhere.
Old 02-21-13, 05:47 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

I don't remember the details...but didn't she suggest this to him as an alternate to something else? It seemed she was just trying to help him and may have not actually been a fan or seen the show?
Old 02-21-13, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Guess they will now, though, since some nerd randomly remembered this inconsequential fact and will undoubtedly bring it up everywhere.
I'm pretty sure it was from the NY Times review. Apparently it was a deal breaker for him.
Old 02-21-13, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I am convinced there is no way Dan Harmon would have taken the show in the direction it is going and am equally convinced they actually did find people to run the show with talent and a vision that is satisfying. My only real complaint is how far from the school they seem to be taking the show, but I like the characters enough to be okay with that.

I'm glad we have this season, even if I would probably prefer a real Harmon season 4. It's better than having no season 4.
Old 02-21-13, 07:39 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

I thought this episode was terrible. I didn't love the first two this season, but this is the first one I've really disliked.
Old 02-21-13, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While I get the whole Cougar Town love affair is funny because there are probably 3 people who watch both shows, I'm one of those 3 guys. Cougar Town feels no less off this season than Community, and to my knowledge that's not due to a writer change there. Shows just change over time, even with the same people responsible for them.
Old 02-21-13, 08:13 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Nice surprise with Luke Perry and Jenny Garth. I dont remember hearing anything about that. Was that kept under wraps?
Old 02-21-13, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I thought this episode was terrible. I didn't love the first two this season, but this is the first one I've really disliked.
I felt the opposite. I thought it was a really fun episode and the best of the three. Certainly not a series high but at least they're getting closer.

"Oh my God he can make a fist. That would hurt harder than a slap... He's in that one!"

"...I know that."

There were also a lot of good jokes about fandom in general.

My only complaint is Troy and Britta. I never really liked them together, I never felt any real chemistry between them and it just feels like an awkward pairing that wasn't really necessary.
Old 02-21-13, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

There are moments that I just don't think I'm watching Community, like the opening with Brita being Tarzan. Also the characters feel a little off, I can see Annie in there but it's like a bizarro Annie.
Old 02-21-13, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't say it was a bad episode, but it did seem off to me. The Troy/Brita/Abed story line seemed flabby, the Annie/Jeff one was minimalistic but OK and Shirly/Pierce was pointless because they completely whiffed on the payoff of the Americanized version.
Old 02-21-13, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I loved the American version, thought it was perfect having Luke Perry and Jennie Garth. I don't care for Britta and Troy either, but it's hard to complain about Gillian Jacobs in her underwear.
Old 02-21-13, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I was lukewarm on the first two (captured the spirit of Community but they were too high on concept, and too light on laughs) but this one was a train wreck of mediocrity.

Originally Posted by sauce07
There are moments that I just don't think I'm watching Community, like the opening with Brita being Tarzan. Also the characters feel a little off, I can see Annie in there but it's like a bizarro Annie.
The opening was bizarre. It was a gag that probably would have worked on a multi-cam sitcom with cookie cutter characters, but this was just out of left field for Community and the characters. That whole sequence felt like I was watching a different show.

After this episode I'm starting to realize why it feels off. It's like they took what were subtle character traits and amped them up to 11. Not just one or two characters, but most of them. We go from a "will they, won't they" Troy and Britta to full on mid-relationship couple. Anne went from having a cute crush on Jeff to stalker. Abed's always been weird in his own movie nerdy way, but now he's nearly a full on whack job. The Dean has gone from "is he?" scene stealing cross-dresser to full on cross dressing weirdo, also a stalker. Shirley & Pearce have had limited screen time so hard to make a call on them.

I wasn't one to slam the show for Harmon's exit or any of that nonsense(keeping an open mind) but this episode has really shown a light on the flaws without Harmon at the helm.
Old 02-22-13, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
After this episode I'm starting to realize why it feels off. It's like they took what were subtle character traits and amped them up to 11. Not just one or two characters, but most of them. We go from a "will they, won't they" Troy and Britta to full on mid-relationship couple. Anne went from having a cute crush on Jeff to stalker. Abed's always been weird in his own movie nerdy way, but now he's nearly a full on whack job. The Dean has gone from "is he?" scene stealing cross-dresser to full on cross dressing weirdo, also a stalker. Shirley & Pearce have had limited screen time so hard to make a call on them.

I wasn't one to slam the show for Harmon's exit or any of that nonsense(keeping an open mind) but this episode has really shown a light on the flaws without Harmon at the helm.
Abed's slipping sanity and the Dean's weirdness peaked under Harmon's watch. And Troy and Britta's relationship isn't related to recently exaggerated character traits. If anything the exaggerated traits Troy's had since the beginning of the show is what makes the relationship feel awkward.

The Annie thing was kind of creepy if you really think about it but it was meant to be played for laughs rather than her being disturbingly obsessed with Jeff.
Old 02-22-13, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sigh... this wasn't a terrible episode, but much of it seemed... forced. They continue to hit a few notes here and there that give me hope for the rest of the season, but there's only 10 episodes left. And let's be honest, no one is holding their breath on us getting any more.

With that said, I loved Abed's "I hate you" to Pierce at the end.
Old 02-22-13, 01:19 AM
Suspended

Damnit Troy you have a beautiful woman like Britta and you have to hide her.
Old 02-22-13, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 985 Likes on 694 Posts

In my opinion, another very mediocre episode. I'm not going to try and break down exactly what I think is/isn't working and just say that in previous seasons I would often re-watch episodes multiple times in the days after they aired. I haven't felt compelled to do that at all this year. It's not even that I've actively disliked any of the episodes. It's more like I'm just apathetic towards them, which to me is worse.

I will point out one thing that rubbed me the wrong way last night. Annie's character has grown a lot over the previous seasons and last night felt like a complete regression for her. I thought the Dreamatorium episode in particular went a long way in resolving Annie's crush on Jeff, but what happened last night felt straight out of the season 2 premiere.
Old 02-22-13, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Okay, I chuckled a bit when Pierce prostrated himself in front of Jeff/Thoraxis.
Old 02-22-13, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
While I get the whole Cougar Town love affair is funny because there are probably 3 people who watch both shows, I'm one of those 3 guys. Cougar Town feels no less off this season than Community, and to my knowledge that's not due to a writer change there. Shows just change over time, even with the same people responsible for them.
Cougar Town did switch networks and show runners this season so while the 'writers' may be the same, I think they're working with a different set of rules/mandate. I used to love it, now I find it annoying.

I haven't enjoyed any of these first 3 episodes of Community and that really makes me sad, especially since I'm not in a minority.

Community fans were shouting "SIX SEASONS AND A MOVIE!" before and in the last 3 weeks that has changed to "3 SEASONS AND AN APOLOGY!".
Old 02-22-13, 09:46 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

No screencaps yet? Wow you guys, wow.
Old 02-22-13, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I liked it, except for Annie's stuff. Seems like they're really re-treading old material there, i.e. her crushing on Jeff.

I liked everything else.

And Britta did tell Abed about Inspector Spacetime, but I'm pretty sure she never actually watched the show and was just trying to find a replacement for that spoof of Downton Abbey she got him hooked on where all the characters died.
Old 02-22-13, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not looking good. They bested last weeks overnight low. 18-49 1.1/3 sh 3.08 million viewers.

I'm all for Annie crushing on Jeff again as long as it ends with her in lingerie at some point.
Old 02-22-13, 12:54 PM

Pro: Say what you will about this season, but it was worth it to get to see Britta undressed again.

Con: Abed said it last week: "I remember when this show was about a community college."
Old 02-22-13, 01:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lord Zarak

Con: Abed said it last week: "I remember when this show was about a community college."
They dealt with that point in both seasons 2 and 3. I honestly have no idea why people keep bringing it up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.