Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Dave Lombardo out of Slayer again

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-13, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Facebook statement:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...24433877627819

Statement From Dave Lombardo Regarding Slayer Australian Tour 2013

I want to personally apologize to all of our fans in Australia who have bought tickets for the tour expecting to see me in my usual place on the drums.

So that you all know the truth, as of the end of the business day on February 14th, I was notified that I would not be drumming for the tour in Australia. I’m saddened, and to be honest I am shocked by the situation.

Last year, I discovered 90% of Slayer’s tour income was being deducted as expenses including the professional fees paid to management, costing the band millions of dollars and leaving 10% or less to split amongst the four of us. In my opinion, this is not the way a band’s business should operate. I tried rectifying it by letting my band mates know, and Tom and I hired auditors to figure out what happened, but I was denied access to detailed information and the necessary back up documents.

I spent the Christmas and New Year holidays realizing I had toured all over the world in 2012, but yet, had not been paid (except a small advance) or provided a proper accounting for a full year's sweat and blood. On top of this, I was told that I would not be paid until I signed a long form contract which gave me no written assurance of how much or on what basis management would deduct commissions, nor did it provide me access to the financial budgets or records for review. It also forbade me to do interviews or make statements having to do with the band, in effect a gagging order.

Last Monday, I sat down with Kerry and Tom to rehearse for Australia and to propose a new business model that I felt was the best way forward for Slayer to confidently protect itself so we could do what we do best . . . play for the fans. Kerry made it clear he wasn’t interested in making changes and said if I wanted to argue the point, he would find another drummer. On Thursday, I arrived at rehearsals at 1 pm as scheduled, but Kerry did not show. Rather, at 6:24 pm I received an email from the lawyers saying I was being replaced for the Australian dates.

I remain hopeful that we can resolve our issues. But once again, I sincerely apologize to all of our fans in Australia who spent their money expecting to see the 3 of us original Slayer members.
I look forward to seeing you in the future.

Sincerely,
Dave Lombardo

------------

needless to say, Blabbermouth has gone nuclear over this, with Kerry King being vilified worse than Axl Rose, Dave Mustaine and Nickleback combined. Really though, Slayer without Hahnemann and Lombardo is a Slayer cover band at that point.

And if they are being robbed, Tom Araya needs to walk out as well until there is a full accounting.
Old 02-21-13, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Dave Lombardo out of Slayer again

Saw this earlier today. Sucks. Without Hanneman and Lombardo I'm not interested.
Old 02-21-13, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

One of two things is going on.
Either King is getting undisclosed amounts of cash, or he likes doing large tours for peanuts. I'm guessing eating peanuts only goes so far.
Once again, King being the asshole he is and just telling members they can be replaced and hit the bricks.
It's really no wonder Slayer are not the group they once were and could still be.
Old 02-21-13, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
One of two things is going on.
Either King is getting undisclosed amounts of cash, or he likes doing large tours for peanuts. I'm guessing eating peanuts only goes so far.
Once again, King being the asshole he is and just telling members they can be replaced and hit the bricks.
It's really no wonder Slayer are not the group they once were and could still be.
Have you seen King lately? I doubt he is only eating peanuts. Too bad about Lombardo getting screwed as he is my second favourite drummer. I also noticed that their CDs seem to be out of print at the moment on amazon.com. Only third party sellers seem to have them.
Old 02-21-13, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still don't get how it's the Kerry dictatorship.

Tom & Jeff are just as much members...even though Jeff's MIA for 2 years now
Old 02-21-13, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Sounds like there is some shady bullshit going on behind the scenes.

Hope Dave lawyers up and sues them.
Old 02-21-13, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Have you seen King lately? I doubt he is only eating peanuts.
Which was my point. I think King is getting what others are not and that's bullshit. Like anomynous said, how is it that King has been able to dictate the bands well being for so long. Shady bullshit is right and I think King is right there in the mix. You dont just tell a band mate to take it or leave it when it comes to getting near nothing for touring as much as they have been.
Old 02-22-13, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Have you seen King lately? I doubt he is only eating peanuts.
Obviously you haven't seen him either. I did. I was at NAMM. He has slimmed down considerably.
Old 02-23-13, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The funny thing is that Kerry is the least talented member of the group, so if anyone could go it's him. Problem is, he's kinda seen as the face of the group, for better or worse.

So, now the Aussie fans get to see 50% of Slayer, and the upcoming album might be the same? Terrible, which unfortunately mostly describes their last few records, too.
Old 02-23-13, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fucking Tom Araya... he's taking Kerry's side.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.asp...sitemID=186647