Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Should I buy a Receiver/Speaker in one package?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-13, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I had a nice Surround Sound in 1998 of a Technics Dolby Digital Receiver and JBL Speakers, and it sounded great back then.

I am looking to get a new Surround Sound System, and I am re-educating myself on what are the quality products on the market:

-Should I still buy a Receiver and Speaker seperate or can I buy a packaged set of them together? I remember the packaged systems were frowned upon back then as the audio reviewers always said to buy your receiver and speakers seperate.

-What are the good brands of receiver and speakers on the market today?

Thanks!
Old 02-11-13, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Should I buy a Receiver/Speaker in one package?

Wow, that's quite a can of worms. This question is why some forum websites exist in the first place!

There are some bundles that contain higher quality receiver & speakers than some low end separate items, so the bundling itself is not an absolute indicator of quality. But generally speaking, yes, you will get better quality with separate items. Esp on the speakers.

Here's where I would start for specific discussion:
What is your definition of quality? And price range?
Old 02-11-13, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy separates. Go out and listen. That's what I do and I'm very happy with my set up.
Old 02-11-13, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also consider that a receiver that has features you like may have speakers that sound bad to your ears. Or speakers that you like the sound of are paired together with a receiver that is lacking in features. If you buy separately you can fit each to your own specifics.
Old 02-12-13, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky

Here's where I would start for specific discussion:
What is your definition of quality? And price range?
All I am looking for a nice 5.1 Dolby Digital System that I can watch movies on, and I could care less about the other extras. I was happy with my original system (Technics 5.1 DD Receiver/JBL Speakers) as I know it wasn't a top notch system, so ignorance is bliss sometimes. I really would like to spend less then a $1,000.00, or even less then $800.00.

I was looking at BestBuy and saw:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+...&skuId=7052859

It was a Pioneer Package of Receiver/Speakers, and was priced around $499.00, although I could only find a few reviews on it which all gave a thumbs up.

My only reservation was that I read some reviews online that some Pioneer receivers aren't compatible with some Samsung TV's? Is that true?

Thanks again!
Old 02-12-13, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That includes a bluray player in the receiver. Personally, I find combining products into one item causes more problems than it solves. IDK about Pioneer-Samsung, was it DLNA/network incompatibility, or the actual video signal?

My advice would be to split your budget: half for a receiver, half for speakers. Maybe more for the speakers, less for the receiver. There are some very nice receivers in the $3-400 range, and nice 5.1 speaker systems in the $4-500 range. For instance, on Amazon, the Harman Kardon 1700 or Denon 1612 would probably be everything you are looking for.

Also, go listen to speakers to find what you like, as Pizza said. Don't trust reviews alone.

Or, did anything happen to your old speakers? If you like them, there wouldn't necessarily be a reason to replace them.
Old 02-13-13, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
That includes a bluray player in the receiver. Personally, I find combining products into one item causes more problems than it solves. IDK about Pioneer-Samsung, was it DLNA/network incompatibility, or the actual video signal?

My advice would be to split your budget: half for a receiver, half for speakers. Maybe more for the speakers, less for the receiver. There are some very nice receivers in the $3-400 range, and nice 5.1 speaker systems in the $4-500 range. For instance, on Amazon, the Harman Kardon 1700 or Denon 1612 would probably be everything you are looking for.

Also, go listen to speakers to find what you like, as Pizza said. Don't trust reviews alone.

Or, did anything happen to your old speakers? If you like them, there wouldn't necessarily be a reason to replace them.
I agree with you as I think I am going to buy a receiver and then seperate speakers, as that worked well when I bought my last surround sound system in 1998. I had alot of water damage in my basement a few years, so I had to throw alot of stuff out, and some of my speakers were ruined, so thats why I am back to square one.
Old 02-13-13, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
All I am looking for a nice 5.1 Dolby Digital System that I can watch movies on, and I could care less about the other extras. I was happy with my original system (Technics 5.1 DD Receiver/JBL Speakers) as I know it wasn't a top notch system, so ignorance is bliss sometimes. I really would like to spend less then a $1,000.00, or even less then $800.00.

I was looking at BestBuy and saw:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+...&skuId=7052859

It was a Pioneer Package of Receiver/Speakers, and was priced around $499.00, although I could only find a few reviews on it which all gave a thumbs up.

My only reservation was that I read some reviews online that some Pioneer receivers aren't compatible with some Samsung TV's? Is that true?

Thanks again!
Well you can certainly go down the road of just wanting 5.1. But things have changed. The receiver can no control audio and video making remote and switching really easy. There is also the new lossless audio to consider though I wouldn't worry about in you price range.

However, don't be shy with you speaker budget. Good speakers never go out of style.
Old 02-13-13, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I agree with you as I think I am going to buy a receiver and then seperate speakers, as that worked well when I bought my last surround sound system in 1998. I had alot of water damage in my basement a few years, so I had to throw alot of stuff out, and some of my speakers were ruined, so thats why I am back to square one.
did any of those speakers make it through the flood?

maybe look at getting a receiver and front 3 speakers if you salvaged 2 you can use as surrounds.
Old 02-15-13, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I'd go separate... quality would be the #1 reason but if you decide to upgrade a piece later -- you can.
Old 02-15-13, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

In some cases it depend like size, space and more importantly $$$$$$. Some companies have done better in the last couple of years and make some nice All-In-Ones. But generally, you'll get a better quality by picking components and building a system to your needs and wallet.