Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

3D TV, non 3D receiver, PS3 with only one HDMI out...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-13, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

So I just bought a new 3D TV, my first, but unfortunately my Denon AVR-1909 can't seem to pass the 3d signal through to the TV, even with no conversion on the receiver. I see in some posts online that people have gotten it to work with some 3D games, but I don't think it will pass the Blu full 3d signal at all.

Anyone else have this problem, and if so, what solution did you use?

I guess I have the following options:
1) Continue with the current setup, and manually change it to the below when I want to watch 3d
2) Put the HDMI out from the PS3 straight to the TV, and use TOSLINK/optical for sound. This will mean no HD sound, though.
3) Buy a 3D Blu player with dual HDMI out

Anybody ever use an HDMI splitter so that the receiver can handle the audio and the video can go straight to the TV? Since the PS3 wants to detect whether the display device can render 3D before it allows it to play, I assume this might cause some problems as well?
Old 02-06-13, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 410 Likes on 355 Posts
Re: 3D TV, non 3D receiver, PS3 with only one HDMI out...

I'm sure you would still have lossy 5.1 using something other than HDMI for audio on the PS3. So I'd go directly from PS3 to your TV with HDMI. And since regular lossy 5.1 is still pretty damn good, and unless you have a premier audio set up unlikely to really really hear a significant difference, I think you lose very little if anything.

I occasionally swith between lossless and regular audio, and I don't hear a significant difference. But then, I don't really have the audio set up to really appreciate it.
Old 02-06-13, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

My receiver doesn't pass 3D either. My PS3 and DirecTV boxes run straight to the TV with HDMI and use optical direct to the receiver for audio.
Old 02-06-13, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah, I was hoping the receiver would be able to pass the 3d signal from DirecTV, since my understanding is that it's different from the Blu ray one. Haven't tried it out yet because my HDMI cables are old and I need to replace them with 1.4. Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll take the hit in audio quality, seeing as how I sometimes use the Pulse headsets for audio anyway.
Old 02-06-13, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I have a TV with only one HDMI input, so I bought an HDMI splitter/switch from Monoprice to send a signal both to my TV inside and my projector outside. It works really well. I sometimes get some handshake issues that are pretty easy to fix, but that's because I need to get thicker HDMI cables. My receiver doesn't do HDMI, so I have all my devices hooked up via optical, so I'm no help to you there. I see no reason why it would have any problems sending the audio signal, though. Not all switches handle a 3D signal, so if you go that route, make sure you get one that will do what you need.
Old 02-07-13, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 410 Likes on 355 Posts

He's asking cause you can only do lossless audio with a PS3 over HDMi. But can also only pass 3D over HDMI, but his receiver won't pass the 3D.
Old 02-07-13, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
He's asking cause you can only do lossless audio with a PS3 over HDMi. But can also only pass 3D over HDMI, but his receiver won't pass the 3D.
He asked about an HDMI splitter. I may not have the same setup and issues that he does, but I at least have one and figured I would let him know my own experiences using it.
Old 02-11-13, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for all the input! Yeah, I don't think a splitter will work, because reading up on them it seems to default to the lowest common denominator of any of the two destinations. So I would get no 3d (because my receiver doesn't do 3d) and crappy audio (because my TV doesn't do great audio), the worst of both worlds. I wish there were just an easy way to force the HDMI settings instead of relying on the handshake; this is also causing havoc with my HTPC setup, which defaults to a crappy resolution whenever my receiver turns off because of the handshake. Ugh.

Anyway, back to optical. I'll probably need to do this for my DirecTV box too, so now I'm going to have to dig up all my optical splitters that I put in storage when I upgraded to an HDMI receiver...
Old 02-11-13, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try a matrix switcher.
Old 02-13-13, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Spiky
Try a matrix switcher.
This is the one I have. It can work as a splitter and a switch.