Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Sorry guys I can't hold it in anymore...24>>>>every other TV show EVER!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-13, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry guys, I tried to refrain myself from making this thread until I have watched all 8 seasons of 24, but after having only completed season 2 just now, I feel compelled to express how much I feel that this is one of, if not THE greatest TV show I have ever seen! Yes, trouncing even Lost and OBLITERATING The Wire!!

Don't get wrong, I love The Wire. Seen it twice. Good show, but 24 makes it its bitch! Again, I am *only* up to the end of season 2 of 24 it is ALREADY a solid 10 out of 10! The storyline has me captivated from beginning to end. The intensity the writers brought to this show is insane! The various twists and turns throughout season 1 and 2 I did NOT see coming! The performances from damn near everyone is spot on. Dennis Haysberth as President Palmer is one of the most riveting most badass performances I've seen on screen. Keifer Sutherland *IS* Jack Bauer and brings a crazy amount of intensity to the role. Penny Johnson plays the devious bitch role perfectly. The rest of the cast did a exceptional job.

Man I could go on forever. If 24 is this good after only season 2, I can imagine what I'm in for during seasons 3-8. Does it get better or worse? No spoilers please.

24 is just ridiculously good. I can't believe it's taken me this long to finally watch it. Kinda pissed to know it's only 8 seasons. I wish there were like 50 seasons LOL.
Old 02-04-13, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Sorry guys I can't hold it in anymore...24>>>>every other TV show EVER!

I think I saw S4. I thought it was almost trash.

Old 02-04-13, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I watched some dvd sets from the library, by season three or four it felt they kept repeating themes and not in a good way, things they should do or not do were not done and it was like A then B then C etc... would happen and then the next season would repeat.
Old 02-04-13, 06:04 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Can't wait until you get to S6 .
Old 02-04-13, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by OutRun2
Spoiler:
Sorry guys, I tried to refrain myself from making this thread until I have watched all 8 seasons of 24, but after having only completed season 2 just now, I feel compelled to express how much I feel that this is one of, if not THE greatest TV show I have ever seen! Yes, trouncing even Lost and OBLITERATING The Wire!!

Don't get wrong, I love The Wire. Seen it twice. Good show, but 24 makes it its bitch! Again, I am *only* up to the end of season 2 of 24 it is ALREADY a solid 10 out of 10! The storyline has me captivated from beginning to end. The intensity the writers brought to this show is insane! The various twists and turns throughout season 1 and 2 I did NOT see coming! The performances from damn near everyone is spot on. Dennis Haysberth as President Palmer is one of the most riveting most badass performances I've seen on screen. Keifer Sutherland *IS* Jack Bauer and brings a crazy amount of intensity to the role. Penny Johnson plays the devious bitch role perfectly. The rest of the cast did a exceptional job.

Man I could go on forever. If 24 is this good after only season 2, I can imagine what I'm in for during seasons 3-8. Does it get better or worse? No spoilers please.

24 is just ridiculously.
Spoiler:
I can't believe it's taken me this long to finally watch it. Kinda pissed to know it's only 8 seasons. I wish there were like 50 seasons LOL.
While I usually don't like to do this, but I fixed your post to match my feelings towards the show. First couple of seasons were ok. But after that it went off the rails.

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
I watched some dvd sets from the library, by season three or four it felt they kept repeating themes and not in a good way, things they should do or not do were not done and it was like A then B then C etc... would happen and then the next season would repeat.
Exactly. It was like that from then on out. It became a real chore for me to sit through and I only did so because my wife enjoyed it. Between the constant stare downs between Chloe and whoever else she was working w/ that season and the rinse/repeat of storylines from season to season it became really silly.

**spoiler alert on this next part**
Spoiler:
But when Tony Almeida said on season 7(?) "I was dead for like 10 minutes" I had to give it up.
Old 02-04-13, 06:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't mind 24. Hugh Downes has great chemistry with Barbara Walters.
Old 02-04-13, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I'm a huge fan of 24 as well. There are some seasons that aren't as good as others, but that's to be expected. Enjoy the ride, OP.
Old 02-04-13, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

One of my favorite shows of all time. Glad your discovering it, although kinda late.

Jack Bauer IMO is one of the greatest television action heroes ever.

Here's how I would grade each season:

Season 1: A+

Season 2: B+

Season 3: B

Season 4: B+ (This is when the show really took off and developed a more mainstream following. It also was the 1st season it started in January and aired 24 episodes in a row)

Season 5: A (This was regarded as probably the best season. It was also the year the show won multiple Emmy awards)

Season 6: C- (Honestly this was a bad season and even the writers and producers of the show know it was)

Season 7 prequel (24: Redemption): B

Season 7: B+ (Good comeback season. It was delayed a year because of the writer's strike)

Season 8: B- (It started out bad and alot of people in this forum quit the show early that season, but had probably one of the greatest 2nd halves ever. )

Last edited by DJariya; 02-04-13 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-04-13, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

^ wow, I cannot believe your Season 4 grade which is by all accounts the absolute worst 24 had to offer. After the first 4 episodes it just took a giant nosedive into stupidity.

The first three seasons are all solid. After that it gets spotty. The odd numbered seasons (5 & 7) were excellent. The evens (4, 6 & 8) were the aberrations. I will agree with DJariya that the latter half of season 8 improved, but even then "half" is stretching it. IIRC it was only the last 6 or so episodes that really redeemed it.

Overall one of my favorite shows, but when 24 is bad, it's just awful.
Old 02-04-13, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk God

The reason why I enjoyed season 4 was it introduced us to Charles Logan, Curtis Manning. And I think action-wise it was slightly better than 3. Also IMO the Araz family was a really underrated villain on the show. Can't get too detailed without spoilers for the OP.

As for season 7, I should correct myself I think it deserves a B+

Last edited by DJariya; 02-04-13 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-04-13, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is going to sound so weak you may want to find me and punch me, but I found Season 1 to be so damn intense, I couldn't watch the show beyond that point. With that said, that one season was spectacular.
Old 02-04-13, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk God

I do have to say that the ending to season 1 was probably one of the best, emotional and most unexpected endings for a television series. The show set the standard for series regulars not being guaranteed to survive a season.
Old 02-04-13, 09:05 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Is it possible the OP is being forced to type this while being held captive by a cougar?
Old 02-04-13, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Season 1 and Season 5 were the only ones I'd re-watch.

I am glad this entire series is on Netflix streaming though, nice to have around.
Old 02-04-13, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Agreed.

S5 > S8 > S7 > S3 > S1 > S2 > S4 > S6
Old 02-04-13, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I recently watched the full run of 24 for the second time. Loved them, and even found some things redeeming about season 6 the second time around.

It is one of my favorite TV shows of all time, but doesn't hold a candle to The Shield or Breaking Bad.
Old 02-04-13, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Really enjoyed season 1. Need to watch more.
Old 02-04-13, 11:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jack Bauer is one of the greatest television badasses ever. That is all.

Old 02-04-13, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Coincidentally enough, I'm on a 24 marathon. I started at season 4, though. I'm about three episodes into season 6 and I hope it's better the second time around...
Old 02-04-13, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

I felt the same way as the OP when I saw seasons 1 and 2. Then it quickly dropped down my list after I saw later seasons, and got into other shows. But that experience of watching 21 episodes of Season 1 in a row, that was a good time. I got a ton of people hooked on it in my college suite back in the day. Living with some of the same people the next year and watching Season 4 together, that was fun, so I have good memories of the show as a whole. Didn't see all of the later seasons, but thought the last season was not bad.

Last edited by bluetoast; 02-04-13 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-04-13, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

No TV show other than The Wire has sucked me in the way 24 did when I started watching it. I never saw an episode until the season finale of S4. I was bored and there was nothing else on. The next day, I went out and bought S1-S3 and watched 4-5 episodes a night during the summer until I was caught up.

To this day, I don't think any block of TV has topped the Monday night Prison Break/24 lineup.
Old 02-04-13, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the real test. Try watching 24 again after you already watched it. I loved it first viewing, even the crappy seasons, but when I tried to rewatch it tanked for me. Once you are not caught off-guard by the plot twists and pace you start noticing things like the acting, dialog, and how stupid each plot twist really was.

(Fiction situation, not a spoiler) Like person #4 turns out to be a double agent in episode six of season seven, at the reveal you are stunned and think it was a fantastic blind-side. But, when you watch it again, you see how everything they did from seasons one through six MADE NO SENSE! They'd have to be the worst spy of all time because nothing they did reflects what a real spy would have done. It is then that you realize that everything they did was decided by pulling names and plots out of a hat.

Very Mild spoilers:

Spoiler:
Also, the actress/character "Chloe" is quite possibly the worst person to ever be given a speaking part in a show. Most of the people on Baywatch had more charisma and talent then she did.

I was thinking 24 would make a fantastic sheep game.
Old 02-04-13, 01:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you're enjoying it. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the series after you've seen them all. I think your view might change a little.
Old 02-04-13, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

24 at its worst was still better than just about every other thing I've seen on TV.

I miss that show so damn much.
Old 02-04-13, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Here is the real test. Try watching 24 again after you already watched it. I loved it first viewing, even the crappy seasons, but when I tried to rewatch it tanked for me. Once you are not caught off-guard by the plot twists and pace you start noticing things like the acting, dialog, and how stupid each plot twist really was.

I was thinking 24 would make a fantastic sheep game.
I've watched season one, 3-4 times. Still as exciting every time. I imagine you're right about later(weaker) seasons though.

And to 24 sheep. The "We're running out of time!" posts would be off the charts.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.