Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Receiver audio dropping out when connected to computer

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-13, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, I recently upgraded my television and have started using it once in a while as a monitor for my computer. Unfortunately I have been experiencing an issue that I cannot figure out. Normally, I have my blu-ray player hooked up to my tv via hdmi, and my tv hooked up to my Panasonic receiver via a coaxial cable, and everything works fine. When I want to hook up my computer to the tv, I simply remove the hdmi from the blu-ray player and plug it into the port located on my computer's graphics card. This is where the issue arises. Sometimes I'll be watching a movie/video or just listening to music, and the sound will drop out for about one second numerous times throughout the video. This issue does not occur when I use my television speakers (which suck), nor when I use the computer speakers, only when I use the Panasonic speakers. So of course I would normally assume there is something wrong with the receiver or the coaxial cable, but it never does this when I using the blu-ray player. Additionally, there will be sometimes when I have my computer hooked up and it will not do this at all, but most of the time it does. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this problem? I would greatly appreciate any help and I would be more than happy to provide any additional information if needed.
Thanks, and if anyone knows a more appropriate place to post this please let me know.
Old 01-28-13, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Receiver audio dropping out when connected to computer

Sounds like a decoding problem. If I'm understanding your hookup, you've got the TV decoding the audio. Perhaps it doesn't do well with a certain audio format, or maybe there is a setting that could be tweaked. Another possibility would be to have the computer decode into a format that the TV handles better. A PC can have lots of different audio formats.

I think you should keep track of when it works and when it doesn't, maybe you can figure out how to set it up.
Old 02-13-13, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Receiver audio dropping out when connected to computer

It almost never works, whether I'm watching a movie, listening to music, on youtube, etc. The other day it worked and I realized that I plugged the hdmi cable in while the computer was already running (as opposed to right before turning it on), I'm going to try that out again and see if it works. It doesn't sound very logical but the whole issue itself doesn't sound logical either. Why would it work fine through my tv speakers but not the receiver?