Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Target DVD prices (January 27th - February 2nd, 2013)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-13, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Hotel Transylvania
* Exclusive bonus disc for Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo set $22.99

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 2
* Exclusive digital comic ("Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Issue #1"); DVD or Blu-Ray combo both $13.99 (each)

Nashville: The First Verse
* Exclusive series sampler (episodes 1 -5) $9.00

- - -

Hotel Transylvania $17.99

Seven Psychopaths $16.99

Paranormal Activity 4 $16.99

- - -

Dora Rocks! $9.99
(additional $9.99 titles in store)

- - -

Alvin And The Chipmunks $7.00
Country Strong $7.00
The Princess Bride $7.00
Scream 4 $7.00
(additional titles in store)

- - -

The Adventures of Tintin $10.00
The Lucky One $10.00
The Descendants $10.00
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol $10.00
(additional titles in store)

- - -

Downton Abbey: Season 3 $25.99

Information from Annie Chu.

Meh. Nothing here for me.

Last edited by JohnIan; 01-25-13 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-25-13, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Target DVD prices (January 27th - February 2nd, 2013)

Pan Am: The Complete Series 4-Disc Set is coming out as well. $22.99 from a $30.99 MSRP. I have a GC so I may pick that up.
Old 01-25-13, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
Pan Am: The Complete Series 4-Disc Set is coming out as well. $22.99 from a $30.99 MSRP. I have a GC so I may pick that up.
Just curious to know...since a lot of ABC TV shows on DVD also had a 10 dollar off printable coupon, will there be one as well for Pan Am?
Old 01-25-13, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rmw650
Just curious to know...since a lot of ABC TV shows on DVD also had a 10 dollar off printable coupon, will there be one as well for Pan Am?
I'm not sure, but I would guess not. This is a Sony release, even though it was aired on ABC and I think that those coupons are only for the shows manufactured by ABC.
Old 01-25-13, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scream 4 for $7 is tempting... but I'll probably wait for it to drop another buck or two.

Good show. I'm surprised that it took this long to get the DVD out.
Old 01-25-13, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by E_v_i_l
Scream 4 for $7 is tempting... but I'll probably wait for it to drop another buck or two.

It was a very good show but the main problem was it truly didn't know what it wanted to be in the long run as storylines were all over the place week after week.

Speaking of ABC TV Shows...Target has an exclusive on Nashville on the first five episodes (highly recommend this show)and if you look closely on the template, there is an offer for ten bucks off the complete first season inside via a coupon of some sorts, which I think will be out around the late summer or early fall, but just a guestimate at my end. Here is that link but you'll need to zoom into the upper left part of that box to see the offer and the coupoin is good until the year's end...

http://www.target.com/OpenZoomLayer?...niImageCount=1
Old 01-26-13, 02:39 AM

I'm surprised that it took this long to get the DVD out.
I'm still waiting for the "Playboy Club" to come out.
Old 01-26-13, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by E_v_i_l
I heard that Sony was trying hard to get the show picked up somewhere else, and didn't want to release the DVD while that was still a possibility. That doesn't entirely make sense to me, I would have thought that positive sales might have helped, but that's what I heard.
Old 01-26-13, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JohnIan
I'd like to see that too, especially to see the final 4 never aired Episodes, but I'm not very optimistic. My guess is that they won't think it worth it to go to the trouble to release it. Hopefully they'll prove me wrong though.
Old 01-26-13, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I'm not sure, but I would guess not. This is a Sony release, even though it was aired on ABC and I think that those coupons are only for the shows manufactured by ABC.
Those coupons are only for shows produced by ABC.

I watched the entire season of Pan Am and it does end with closure for those interested in getting it.
Old 01-26-13, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a time, I was hoping that the unaired episodes would be made available online. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever get an opportunity to see them.
Old 01-26-13, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Thanks OP!
Old 01-26-13, 06:23 PM

especially to see the final 4 never aired Episodes
*nods*

They filmed another episode trying to get sold to another venue, I remember reading that. Don't know if that's part of the four.

That and the rumor that there were two versions, U.S. television and the second which featured nudity.

- - -

Looked at the Best Buy website; it reads "Pan Am" has a price tag of $29.99 (a whopping, one dollar cheaper than its retail price). I want this, but I'll wait for a lower price. It was a decent show, "Mad Men" certainly rasied the bar pretty high. I'm glad that "Magic City" got renewed (season two) - don't have cable; I will buy it when it hits DVD later this year.

Anyhow, Wal-Mart will be selling the complete series for $19.96. But lately the store is going the way of Best Buy, titles I thought they were going to carry in store - were not. I don't know, maybe if I find it for that price, I'll bite.

Last edited by JohnIan; 01-26-13 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-26-13, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

*nods*

They filmed another episode trying to get sold to another venue, I remember reading that. Don't know if that's part of the four.

That and the rumor that there were two versions, U.S. television and the second which featured nudity.
My guess is that that's the fourth, I believe that they found out they were canceled at or near the end of shooting Ep. 6 and that the 7th Ep. is the one that you're speaking of. But I'm definitely not positive. No idea about whether or not there's nudity, sorry.

- - -

Looked at the Best Buy website; it reads "Pan Am" has a price tag of $29.99 (a whopping, one dollar cheaper than its retail price). I want this, but I'll wait for a lower price. It was a decent show, "Mad Men" certainly rasied the bar pretty high. I'm glad that "Magic City" got renewed (season two) - don't have cable; I will buy it when it hits DVD later this year.

Anyhow, Wal-Mart will be selling the complete series for $19.96. But lately the store is going the way of Best Buy, titles I thought they were going to carry in store - were not. I don't know, maybe if I find it for that price, I'll bite.
I haven't seen "Magic City", or "Mad Men" for that matter (though I own all 5 Seasons of "Mad Men" [I'm one of those "I have 1,000+ titles that I've never seen" people]).

I don't know if it's just BB that's not getting in titles, I've seen Target pass on a few in the last few months that I would have bought from them if they'd have had them in-store.

Good idea about Wal-Mart, I often forget about them. I checked Amazon and they have Pan Am for $19.96 too, so if it's still that price Tuesday then I'll get Target to price match Amazon. If not then I'll see if WM has it in the printed ad and get them to match that. It may well be cheaper later in the year, but I have the GC now and also want to "thank" Sony for putting it out at all.
Old 01-27-13, 03:22 AM

Update...

CDs

"Andrea Bocelli - Passione" deluxe edition with 2 exclusive bonus tracks $12.99

- - -

Games

Old 01-27-13, 03:36 AM

I haven't seen "Magic City", or "Mad Men" for that matter (though I own all 5 Seasons of "Mad Men" [I'm one of those "I have 1,000+ titles that I've never seen" people]).
In my collection; to watch is a 325. A couple days back I hit 1,700; titles which are part of my library - not pending DVDs.

You should see both shows, "Mad Men" and "Magic City" very addictive.
Old 01-28-13, 07:11 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Thanks John! Looks like another ho-hum week at Target.
Old 01-28-13, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In my collection; to watch is a 325. A couple days back I hit 1,700; titles which are part of my library - not pending DVDs.
325 doesn't sound too bad. Have you been gaining, or losing, ground? I've been trying to focus more on TV shows lately (I've watched 11 Seasons on disc in the last month and a half) so that I'll know whether to keep buying later Seasons or not. TV shows also work well for marathoning, which seems to work best for me. I'm not sure how many titles I have total, but percentage wise it's high as there are quite a lot that I've never seen and I've already bought a lot of the back catalog that I ever wanted, so I've slowed down a fair bit in bringing in more. Mostly just newer releases.

You should see both shows, "Mad Men" and "Magic City" very addictive.
I definitely plan on getting to "Mad Men", but my first three Seasons are stuck (safely) away in storage, so it's tough to get to them. I'll look into "Magic City", thanks for the recommendation.
Old 01-28-13, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mill creek 50 movie sets 40's, 50's, 60's & excellent 80's are each on sale for $7.99. for some reason, the one i wanted, the swingin' 70's is not.
Old 01-28-13, 10:03 PM

325 doesn't sound too bad. Have you been gaining, or losing, ground?
Well... as of now it's somewhat of an equilibrium.

My DVD purchases have waned, there was a time when I would do a ton of blind buys. I can't really do that much today - though I did do a few on the last Black Friday.

The buys I make now are researched; to the point where I'm near certain I will enjoy it. A good example would be "Game Of Thrones", I don't have cable. But the reviews were highly postiive. So I took a gamble and bought season one, twice over; exclusive bonus discs from Best Buy and Wal-Mart. It's a good show, I plan on adding season two when it comes out next month.

As for my pending list. I watch some and add titles from Big Lots, Dollar Tree and Wal-Mart. The number has dropped, it used to be closer to 360. Last night I watched, "The Collapsed" - didn't do it for me (didn't care for the characters [that's important] and I saw the twist ending coming). Currently I've been watching episodes of "The Starlost", stupid and pure cheese, I'm lovin' it. As for my collection. All of it is here, but in boxes (safe from dust and such). The boxes sold from the Post Office, stackable. I'm on Box 55; okay, not all of them. Like most folks here I have piles of DVDs just lying around; boys with toys. So yeah.

- - -

So this post can be thread relevant...

Target will be selling S2 of "Game Of Thrones" for $39.99 on Feburary 19th. I'm hoping for a better price from Best Buy.
Old 01-31-13, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well... as of now it's somewhat of an equilibrium.

My DVD purchases have waned, there was a time when I would do a ton of blind buys. I can't really do that much today - though I did do a few on the last Black Friday.
I've slowed down too. Money has been tighter, but there also aren't a lot of new releases being put out that I'm dying to get. I think that I may be buying more TV than movies, which isn't a bad thing imo, most of the time I think that there's a lot more value there.

The buys I make now are researched; to the point where I'm near certain I will enjoy it. A good example would be "Game Of Thrones", I don't have cable. But the reviews were highly postiive. So I took a gamble and bought season one, twice over; exclusive bonus discs from Best Buy and Wal-Mart. It's a good show, I plan on adding season two when it comes out next month.
That makes sense. It can be hard to find good reviews (at least imo), but if you can and it works for you then it definitely seems wiser to go that route. I have the Wal-Mart Exclusive Game of Thrones, but I had wanted the Target version also, but never found it. It'll probably make it into a complete series set eventually though, this being an HBO show. I definitely like the show, but I had read the books first in '08 and so probably wasn't as impressed as someone encountering it for the first time.

As for my pending list. I watch some and add titles from Big Lots, Dollar Tree and Wal-Mart. The number has dropped, it used to be closer to 360. Last night I watched, "The Collapsed" - didn't do it for me (didn't care for the characters [that's important] and I saw the twist ending coming). Currently I've been watching episodes of "The Starlost", stupid and pure cheese, I'm lovin' it. As for my collection. All of it is here, but in boxes (safe from dust and such). The boxes sold from the Post Office, stackable. I'm on Box 55; okay, not all of them. Like most folks here I have piles of DVDs just lying around; boys with toys. So yeah.
It's good that you're gaining ground, and ime it's the kind of thing where I can make a push if I really am motivated enough. And I like having unwatched titles, for later when I need/want them. If I had seen everything then it would probably bug me. I haven't seen either of the titles you mention, thanks for the reviews, I'll try to look into The Starlost, cheese can be good. I mostly am using Amazon & Target these days. I've definitely had some good deals at Big Lots, and rarely Dollar Tree and still go there occasionally, but primarily I'm trying to get a few hundred specific older titles if/when they go on a good sale (but before they go OOP) along with select new releases. I got lucky in that at an old job they were giving away 4 drawer steel cabinets, the kind meant for hanging file folders (three across and four down). It's a really sturdy and safe way to store a lot of things, including DVD's. I just have too much stuff in front of them, at my storage. I have a few boxes too, though probably not as well proportioned as yours sound like. It can be said to be too much stuff, but imo there are worse hobbies. And when I get more room I'll be able to organize better.

- - -

So this post can be thread relevant...

Target will be selling S2 of "Game Of Thrones" for $39.99 on Feburary 19th. I'm hoping for a better price from Best Buy.
I'll definitely be looking to pick that up when it's released, though the Exclusives will be the biggest factor for me in terms of where I buy it from. I'm hoping that there won't be as many as there were with S1, but at least it's coming out at a slow time of the year, in case there are.
Old 02-01-13, 04:51 AM

I have the Wal-Mart Exclusive Game of Thrones, but I had wanted the Target version also, but never found it. It'll probably make it into a complete series set eventually though, this being an HBO show.
Correction. I bought the bonus discs from Wal-Mart and Target. I didn't buy the exclusive from Best Buy, which was exclusive packaging. Why did I say Best Buy?

If I had seen everything then it would probably bug me.
That happened, maybe fifteen years ago. Back in my laser disc days. It's a Saturday and I want to watch a movie. I look to see; thinking I had couple of titles waiting to seen - nope. I had see everything in my collection (which at that point was about 320 LDs). I got really bummed. From that point on, I started leaving flicks for a rainy day, which transfered to my DVD library. It grew and grew and now I have 360. In effect... I'm hording movies. I'll be honest. I still have a couple dozen or so LDs I still haven't gotten around - some of which I bought on DVD (and still haven't watched). *shakes head*

I'll try to look into The Starlost, cheese can be good.
Think of it like a sci-fi show with the budget of "Doctor Who" from the 1970s. Basic story; Earth has a major disaster - the world comes together, not the save the planet (it's beyond saving), but constructs a ginormous ship, The Ark. A ship with dozens of bio-domes. The objective is to find a new world to colonize, that's the plan, but an accident kills the crew - the computer seals each dome, protecting it from a radiation leak. Jump forward nearly five hundred years later. Each dome has become a world onto itself, long forgetting it's part of a ship. A fellow named Devon from the dome Cypress Corners finds out that the world is far more bigger than fifty miles. He and friends, Garth and Rachel are on a quest to save the ship which has been drifting through space, on a trajectory towards a sun. Sixteen episodes of cheese, expect plot holes, questionable acting and badly designed props. The power of imagination! I first became aware of the series back in the mid-1980s, when my family was getting ready for a trip to Vegas in the middle of the night (it's a lot cooler than afternoon heat). But that's another story.

- - -

Thread relevant...

I did some additional checking. There will be a bonus disc for S2 of "Game Of Thrones", but it appears to be for Blu-Ray combo only (a BR disc). Pass, though I hope there's a DVD edition.

And my heart sinks further, Wal-Mart will also be offering a bonus disc, but for the Blu-Ray combo only as well. The bonus disc might be a DVD as the store does with other combo sets. Which would mean I could buy this and sell the copy, minus the bonus disc and wait to purchase S2 on DVD at a later time on sale. Damn.

Best Buy will offer exclusive packaging once again; Lannister or Greyjoy for the Blu-Ray edition.
Old 02-02-13, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Correction. I bought the bonus discs from Wal-Mart and Target. I didn't buy the exclusive from Best Buy, which was exclusive packaging. Why did I say Best Buy?
I don't know. But as I said, that's what I would have done. I'll always take content over packaging.

That happened, maybe fifteen years ago. Back in my laser disc days. It's a Saturday and I want to watch a movie. I look to see; thinking I had couple of titles waiting to seen - nope. I had see everything in my collection (which at that point was about 320 LDs). I got really bummed. From that point on, I started leaving flicks for a rainy day, which transfered to my DVD library. It grew and grew and now I have 360. In effect... I'm hording movies. I'll be honest. I still have a couple dozen or so LDs I still haven't gotten around - some of which I bought on DVD (and still haven't watched). *shakes head*
Yeah, that's definitely what I'm trying to prevent. I still have some LD's myself, maybe 35-40. I was able to unload most back when you could still get something for them, and many of the ones I still have aren't on DVD yet, or are special in some way, like the original 3 Star Wars movies before Lucas did whatever to them or the Fantasia Deluxe Edition (which was the Final ever release of that particular movie *cough*). It might be wise to try to watch any unwatched LD's though, in case your player ever breaks down.

Think of it like a sci-fi show with the budget of "Doctor Who" from the 1970s. Basic story; Earth has a major disaster - the world comes together, not the save the planet (it's beyond saving), but constructs a ginormous ship, The Ark. A ship with dozens of bio-domes. The objective is to find a new world to colonize, that's the plan, but an accident kills the crew - the computer seals each dome, protecting it from a radiation leak. Jump forward nearly five hundred years later. Each dome has become a world onto itself, long forgetting it's part of a ship. A fellow named Devon from the dome Cypress Corners finds out that the world is far more bigger than fifty miles. He and friends, Garth and Rachel are on a quest to save the ship which has been drifting through space, on a trajectory towards a sun. Sixteen episodes of cheese, expect plot holes, questionable acting and badly designed props. The power of imagination! I first became aware of the series back in the mid-1980s, when my family was getting ready for a trip to Vegas in the middle of the night (it's a lot cooler than afternoon heat). But that's another story.
That sounds intriguing actually, probably could have been a very good show if played straight. But of course I still may like it when played tongue-in-cheek, thanks again.

- - -

I did some additional checking. There will be a bonus disc for S2 of "Game Of Thrones", but it appears to be for Blu-Ray combo only (a BR disc). Pass, though I hope there's a DVD edition.

And my heart sinks further, Wal-Mart will also be offering a bonus disc, but for the Blu-Ray combo only as well. The bonus disc might be a DVD as the store does with other combo sets. Which would mean I could buy this and sell the copy, minus the bonus disc and wait to purchase S2 on DVD at a later time on sale. Damn.

Best Buy will offer exclusive packaging once again; Lannister or Greyjoy for the Blu-Ray edition.
All three stores look to have the same bonuses as last time. I'm with you on hoping for DVD's of the Wal-Mart & Target editions. I'll buy Blu when there's no other choice, but I'm really not a fan of definition that Hi.
Old 02-03-13, 03:29 AM

But of course I still may like it when played tongue-in-cheek
Nope. It's dead serious. Which is part of the charm, Devon really want to save the Ark.

Yeah, I'm hoping for DVD exclusive editions for S2. We'll find out in a couple of weeks.