Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-13, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.relix.com/news/2013/01/22...-may-7-release

Vampire Weekend have just announced that their third album will be released on May 7. The band issued a brief statement indicating simply, “LP3 Complete. May 7th.” In a recent interview with Q magazine, the band described the as yet-untitled album as organic, darker and the final installment in a trilogy of albums. The band released their debut recording in 2008 and their sophomore effort in 2010.

The quartet has performed a few of the album’s songs live this year, including on Jimmy Kimmel Live. Vampire Weekend drummer Chirs Tomson recently spoke with Jambands.com about his collaborations with Bob Weir, Joe Russo, Mike Gordon and others this summer.
I can't wait. I personally loved both albums equally.

Last edited by nothingfails; 03-19-13 at 01:50 AM.
Old 01-24-13, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
re: Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City

Personally, I found "Contra" to be a tremendous disappointment. The first album was infectiously catchy and teeming with all these whale-size pop hooks, and there's just none of that on "Contra". Not a single standout song, at least for my money. I don't think it's a bad album or anything, but it doesn't deliver much of anything of what drew me in the first time around. Hearing that this one will be darker...blah, I'm still optimistic, but I hope it's not another "Hello Sadness".
Old 01-24-13, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We definately differ on Contra. To me Giving Up The Gun and Holiday (before it got overplayed as a jingle for Target) were irresistably catchy standout songs. Plus the album did go a little deeper than the debut with songs like I Think You're A Contra and Diplomat's Son that brought in sounds nowhere to be found on the debut. There were a few weaker moments on it like California English (all the damn autotune) but as a whole it was one of my faves of 2010.
Old 01-24-13, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both albums were great, IMO. Can't wait for the new one, the introduction of electronic aspects to the music in Contra opens up a lot of possibilities.

Sidenote: I love how some critics just can't stand these guys because they are unapologetically preppy and Ivy League. I've even seen people accuse them of being cultural thieves as they are playing Afro-pop inspired stuff. These people need to take it easy, it's just a silly pop band.

Sidenote 2: Vampire Weekend would be the perfect soundtrack to a Whit Stillman movie. Imagine "Metropolitan" with "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa" playing in the background.
Old 01-24-13, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Both albums were great, IMO. Can't wait for the new one, the introduction of electronic aspects to the music in Contra opens up a lot of possibilities.

Sidenote: I love how some critics just can't stand these guys because they are unapologetically preppy and Ivy League. I've even seen people accuse them of being cultural thieves as they are playing Afro-pop inspired stuff. These people need to take it easy, it's just a silly pop band.

Sidenote 2: Vampire Weekend would be the perfect soundtrack to a Whit Stillman movie. Imagine "Metropolitan" with "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa" playing in the background.
Agreed with all of that. They are one of the very few bands out there that I will buy the new album without hearing a note. I love their sound and style and even if they are "bastardizing" Afro-pop, it sounds so good I don't care
Old 01-24-13, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

If the new song they did on Jimmy Kimmel Halloween night is any indication, this album is going to be very, very good.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xSeKa8VVWdM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-24-13, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I've liked both their albums so far, Contra maybe a bit more but they both are fun listens. I'm interested in hearing new material!!
Old 01-24-13, 08:55 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11

Wow... I've been saying this for years. M79 is the song that brings it out the most for me.

Contra was the perfect 37 minute commute album. I listened to that album over and over again during that winter.
Old 03-18-13, 04:35 PM
Suspended

They released their first single "Step" on Youtube today.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_mDxcDjg9P4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-18-13, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

The other song they released today, "Diane Young":

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mX46e4GtlXM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The album's titled Modern Vampires of the City, btw.
Old 03-19-13, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJLinus
The album's titled Modern Vampires of the City, btw.
Umm, the album didn't have a title when the thread was started... and trust me, I can't change the title, I tried
Old 03-19-13, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Never heard of these guys but I recognize the name. I want to say that they're currently on tour with the current incarnation of Orgy. I saw a flyer on FB.
Old 03-19-13, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nothingfails
Umm, the album didn't have a title when the thread was started... and trust me, I can't change the title, I tried
Oh, I wasn't calling you out or anything and didn't mean to come across like that. I know the title was only just confirmed recently. Just passing on a little more info. (Maybe a mod will change the thread title?)
Old 03-19-13, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i will support these cultural buccaneers as long as it pisses someone off. Hipsters, critics, people with a stick up their ass or other elitist fops. If they are appropriating afro centric music, then let ladysmith black mambazo come over and do something about it. until then i will support their god given Columbia educated right to put as much tinkle and hootin on wax as they want, baby.
Old 03-20-13, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Correction - the bad opening for Orgy is called "Vampires Everywhere." I misspoke.
Old 03-20-13, 08:50 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Vampire Weekend was announced as a headliner for Lollapalooza this year. Are they big enough to headline a day there? Perhaps it is expected that the new album is going to make a big splash this year
Old 03-20-13, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Personally, I found "Contra" to be a tremendous disappointment. The first album was infectiously catchy and teeming with all these whale-size pop hooks, and there's just none of that on "Contra". Not a single standout song, at least for my money. I don't think it's a bad album or anything, but it doesn't deliver much of anything of what drew me in the first time around. Hearing that this one will be darker...blah, I'm still optimistic, but I hope it's not another "Hello Sadness".
Agreement here although I probably like the 2nd album a wee bit more than you. I just listened to it the other day and was thinking how it nowhere near reached the level of the first album. Perhaps their style was only good for a single album.
Old 03-20-13, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Like those new tunes. A breath of fresh air in today's music scene, that's for sure.
Old 03-26-13, 09:24 AM

Those excited for Vampire Weekend's third LP, Modern Vampires of the City, will have to wait longer than they hoped. The album will be released in the U.S. on May 14, rather than May 7, as initially planned through XL Recordings.
Old 05-06-13, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I've never listened to either of the two Vampire Weekend albums in their entirety.

But I'm loving some of the singles released, great reviews, and I will purchase Modern Vampires of the City.

I really enjoy "Ya Hey"

Should be floating around in cyberspace already.
Old 05-06-13, 02:55 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i-BznQE6B8U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-07-13, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's a good 35 minute NPR interview with the band, where they play clips from the album and talk about the songs and recording process.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/20...-its-new-album

I'm getting pretty pumped for this album.
Old 05-07-13, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Here's a good 35 minute NPR interview with the band, where they play clips from the album and talk about the songs and recording process.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/20...-its-new-album

I'm getting pretty pumped for this album.
Not that it means anything, but the album got 4 1/2 stars out of 5 in the latest Rolling Stone. That doesn't happen too often.
Old 05-07-13, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Not that it means anything, but the album got 4 1/2 stars out of 5 in the latest Rolling Stone. That doesn't happen too often.
Really? They'll give anyone with a karaoke machine 4 1/2 stars.
Old 05-07-13, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by auto
Really? They'll give anyone with a karaoke machine 4 1/2 stars.
They actually almost never give ratings that high.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.