Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Films that wouldn't get made today

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-13, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm trying to think of films that, in today's PC thug environment, wouldn't be able to be made. Or rather, couldn't be made 100% the same as the original. (nothing could be removed or ideas changed etc)

A few that came to mind when thinking about this.

Heathers
Fight Club

maybe even Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Blazing Saddles (sadly)

Anyone?

(and if a thread like this exist already, sorry, didn't see it)
Old 01-22-13, 10:33 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Films that wouldn't get made today

The Siege....

Haven't we had a thread like this before? Seems somewhat familair.
Old 01-22-13, 10:34 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm guessing that Birth of a Nation would have difficulties getting the green light in 2013. They'd also have difficulties getting the U.S. president to endorse it I'm thinking.
Old 01-22-13, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies
The Siege....

Haven't we had a thread like this before? Seems somewhat familair.
Probably, I figured as much but upon searching I didn't see anything. Probably didn't search for the right words.

oh well, probably was awhile back at least (hopefully)
Old 01-22-13, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm guessing that Birth of a Nation would have difficulties getting the green light in 2013. They'd also have difficulties getting the U.S. president to endorse it I'm thinking.

Well, yeah.

Problem is, people are just not worried as much about their white women anymore.
Old 01-22-13, 10:46 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 01-22-13, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Blazing Saddles.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kKmU_HpTwCs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-22-13, 10:50 AM
Banned by request

NSFW due to language on poster.

Spoiler:

Last edited by E Unit; 01-22-13 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-22-13, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Airplane

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8Oeb8nhNJOU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-22-13, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

Why wouldn't Blazing Saddles get made today? There are lots of movies that are even cruder, and in Blazing Saddles the racists are clearly the bad guys.

Movies that wouldn't get made today are more like Easy Rider and Vanishing Point, where the heroes are petty criminals and dope dealers who ennobled because they fight the system, and the villains are the police. Who today could imagine making a comedy about criminals smuggling a tractor trailer load of Coors Beer past a dozen police departments? But Smokey and the Bandit made Burt Reynolds an A-list star.
Old 01-22-13, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I disagree with Blazing Saddles (Django has a lot in common with it), and Airplane. Airplane was a spoof of airplane movies, we still get spoofs like crazy it's just usually the horror genre - sure it isn't rated PG with titties but they still get made.

Fight Club would still get made today, building explosions intact.

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Why wouldn't Blazing Saddles get made today? There are lots of movies that are even cruder, and in Blazing Saddles the racists are clearly the bad guys.

Movies that wouldn't get made today are more like Easy Rider and Vanishing Point, where the heroes are petty criminals and dope dealers who ennobled because they fight the system, and the villains are the police. Who today could imagine making a comedy about criminals smuggling a tractor trailer load of Coors Beer past a dozen police departments? But Smokey and the Bandit made Burt Reynolds an A-list star.
These also still get made, but they are no longer studio films, since studios more or less only care about big stars with big budgets. That said, Horrible Bosses was a pretty big hit and that was about 3 guys trying to kill their bosses. I know it's a TV series and doesn't really count, but Breaking Bad comes up a lot and that's a dark comedy/drama about a meth dealer. You also have movies like Snow on Tha Bluff, Get The Gringo (which is more comedic), Crank, Drive, Bad Santa, Four Lions, Super, God Bless America, etc;

Other than some racist and propaganda flicks from the early ages of film, most anything still gets made these days.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-22-13 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-22-13, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
They'd also have difficulties getting the U.S. president to endorse it I'm thinking.
This was my main reason for voting Romney.
Old 01-22-13, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

This movie with a spanish cast.

Old 01-22-13, 11:04 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^
Old 01-22-13, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We aren't going to see movies where the terrorists are the good guys, like Army of Shadows, Battle of Algiers, or Ashes and Diamonds. I know I'm stretching it with a couple of those movies, because the terrorists were fighting Nazis. But they still wouldn't get made today.
Old 01-22-13, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Fu Manchu movies. Completely racist, and starring a white guy playing the Chinese supervillain.
Old 01-22-13, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2
I disagree with Blazing Saddles (Django has a lot in common with it), and Airplane. Airplane was a spoof of airplane movies, we still get spoofs like crazy it's just usually the horror genre - sure it isn't rated PG with titties but they still get made.

Fight Club would still get made today, building explosions intact.

These also still get made, but they are no longer studio films, since studios more or less only care about big stars with big budgets. I know it's a TV series and doesn't really count, but Breaking Bad comes up a lot and that's a dark comedy/drama about a meth dealer. You also have movies like Snow on Tha Bluff, Get The Gringo (which is more comedic), Crank, Drive, Bad Santa, Four Lions, Super, Horrible Bosses, God Bless America, etc;

Other than some racist and propaganda flicks from the early ages of film, most anything still gets made these days.

I don't think it would be made today, not because of a building exploding but rather, because of the characters themselves being basically terrorists. The activities they engage in would be tough in today climate to sell as 'fun'.

I love 'Fight Club' but I don't see it being made today and retaining 100% of what was in the film.
Old 01-22-13, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighters7
I don't think it would be made today, not because of a building exploding but rather, because of the characters themselves being basically terrorists. The activities they engage in would be tough in today climate to sell as 'fun'.

I love 'Fight Club' but I don't see it being made today and retaining 100% of what was in the film.
It might not get the cast it had in this environment (it still bombed in theaters regardless), but honestly it fits with the whole "occupy" mentality. It probably would have done better had it been released a couple years ago instead of when it was.

Four Lions puts my thoughts on terrorists to rest, but since it isn't a US film I don't know if it counts.

Trailer -
Spoiler:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ew-SrlQ9tlI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by RichC2; 01-22-13 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-22-13, 11:29 AM
Banned by request

I loved Four Lions, funny as hell. However I don't see this as one Hollywood studios are begging to remake.
Old 01-22-13, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Song of the South
Old 01-22-13, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Four Lions is the bomb, yo.
Old 01-22-13, 11:54 AM
Banned by request

This would never be made today. White House under siege by terrorists? Never.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jjyxsvZpt28" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-22-13, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
The difference is Blazing Saddles wouldn't get made by a white male in this day and age, as the PC crowd would be on him the day it came out. Or many white directors would just pass on it cause it just wasn't worth it. Look how much crap Tarantino is getting with Django, and his defense of the 'N' word in his movies is that he is just trying to make the characters as authentic as possible. Blazing Saddles is a comedy so its tougher to justify to the critics the use of sterotypes. The only way a movie like Blazing Saddles would get made today would be if the Wayans Brothers made so they wouldn't have to hear any crap from people with all the racist jokes.

The PC age started in the 1980's as you hear Eddie Murphy complaining in 'Raw' that he was getting crap from gay groups because he was doing alot of '***' jokes. And I think that is one of the reasons he quit stand-up because he didn't want to deal with the backlash alot of comics get today when they say something racy.
Old 01-22-13, 12:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

It almost seems like things have swung back the other direction in terms of standup. "Un-PC" plays well. Look at somebody like Jeff Ross, for instance.
Old 01-22-13, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

if im not mistaken isnt african americans defending Django and white people are blasting it...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.