American Horror Story: Asylum -- "Continuum" -- 1/16/13

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-13, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
American Horror Story: Asylum -- "Continuum" -- 1/16/13

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Chapter 12 - "Continuum" (Airs January 16, 10:00 pm e/p) - A deadly new inmate threatens Sister Jude's chance of release from Briarcliff. Grace's obsession with the aliens turns violent. Written by Ryan Murphy; directed by Craig Zisk.

Read more: Listings - AMERICAN HORROR STORY on FX | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz2IBvwRFFK

Episode 12 of 13

Next week is the season finale

The new FX series "The Americans" will take over this timeslot on the 30th.
Old 01-16-13, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: American Horror Story: Asylum -- "Continuum" -- 1/16/13

Uh, holy crap already.
Old 01-16-13, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

An I the only one didn't know this? I thought she was legitimately retarded until she started talking...

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/01/her...ideous-makeup/

Old 01-17-13, 07:30 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L
An I the only one didn't know this? I thought she was legitimately retarded until she started talking...

Wow...thats amazing. I had no idea.

This season overall has kind of lost me. There are things I liked about it...but last year seemed to have a clear story that it was telling that worked well in episodic format. This seems like too much going on for a 13 episode run. I don't think the way the told some of the stories worked well either. Maybe rewatching it once completed in a marathon would work better.
Old 01-17-13, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

IT has been losing steam for me. But still love this show. I can't wait for the finale.
Old 01-17-13, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must be the only one that has been enjoying this season more than last season.
Old 01-17-13, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joefrog91
I must be the only one that has been enjoying this season more than last season.
Nope. I loved last least, but I am absolutely crazy nuts for this season. It's fantastic.

Never would've guessed that, before the season finale, it would be Sister Jude I was most concerned about. That character has had an incredible arc this year. I hope she gets some measure of happiness or something in the finale.

PS Pepper! I had no idea. Thanks for the link.

Last edited by onebyone; 01-17-13 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-17-13, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
This season overall has kind of lost me. There are things I liked about it...but last year seemed to have a clear story that it was telling that worked well in episodic format. This seems like too much going on for a 13 episode run. I don't think the way the told some of the stories worked well either. Maybe rewatching it once completed in a marathon would work better.
I won't say it lost me at all, but I understand where you're coming from with these feelings. This is what I actually wrote on Facebook before crashing last night:

For those of you watching American Horror Story Asylum, do you find it as perplexing as I to reflect on everything that's transpired over these 12 episodes? So much has happened and it all makes sense, but it feels so disjointed... almost epic in its scope. I marvel at how much ground has been covered in 9 hours of TV so far.
It does feel bigger and more scattered than season one, but no less enjoyable. Every little piece that I remember amazes me more and more about what all they've touched on. The present Bloodyface kicking off the season and now ending it, the racial prejudices of the 60s, the homophobic prejudices, Chloe Sevigny, Maroon 5, Anne Frank, running from your past demons (Judy running over that kid), the hiding Nazi, the investigation into him, possession, exorcism, crucifixion, stigmata, the angel of death, serial killing Santa, Ian McShane, abominations in the forest, alien abductions, miraculous healing, reincarnation, delusion (Jude's mental absence for 2.5+ years), denial, freaks, and musical numbers!

So much has happened, so many characters and stories, and I feel every single one of them has been serviced very well and satisfactorily. I really don't think it fails in any way.

One of the few shows in which I absolutely lose myself for 45 minutes.
Old 01-17-13, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I love this season just as much if not more than last season. Its batshit crazy.
Old 01-17-13, 10:13 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
I won't say it lost me at all, but I understand where you're coming from with these feelings. This is what I actually wrote on Facebook before crashing last night:

It does feel bigger and more scattered than season one, but no less enjoyable. Every little piece that I remember amazes me more and more about what all they've touched on. The present Bloodyface kicking off the season and now ending it, the racial prejudices of the 60s, the homophobic prejudices, Chloe Sevigny, Maroon 5, Anne Frank, running from your past demons (Judy running over that kid), the hiding Nazi, the investigation into him, possession, exorcism, crucifixion, stigmata, the angel of death, serial killing Santa, Ian McShane, abominations in the forest, alien abductions, miraculous healing, reincarnation, delusion (Jude's mental absence for 2.5+ years), denial, freaks, and musical numbers!

So much has happened, so many characters and stories, and I feel every single one of them has been serviced very well and satisfactorily. I really don't think it fails in any way.

One of the few shows in which I absolutely lose myself for 45 minutes.
Exactly...look at that list of stuff that has happened in just one (not even full yet) season. I almost feel like the components to this season could've been spread over an entire run of a show.

Also...did they ever explain the things in the forest?
Old 01-17-13, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L

She cleans up nicely.
Old 01-17-13, 10:39 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

my desire to watch this show dramatically declined, just could never get into it... it was too all over the place... ended up having 5 episodes stored on the DVR. Deleted. Thankfully due to the nature of the show, I will give it another shot next year.
Old 01-17-13, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmical
She cleans up nicely.
Agreed... I don't know if I could bang her w/out seeing Pepper though
Old 01-17-13, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Exactly...look at that list of stuff that has happened in just one (not even full yet) season. I almost feel like the components to this season could've been spread over an entire run of a show.

Also...did they ever explain the things in the forest?
I'm pretty sure the things in the forest are the same things that Chloe was turned into. He just ended up killing them all off. They were his experiment to make a super human.
Old 01-17-13, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

They should have ended the season last week. That was awful.
Old 01-17-13, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

The writers clearly didn't have a coherent story in mind for 13 episodes. This episode felt like a lot of catch-all filler to me. The second season of AHS greatly reminds me of the latter seasons of Ryan Murphy's previous show on FX, Nip/Tuck. A mess of random stories jammed together, with a bunch of shock moments to keep the audience's interest up. You still had some excellent cameos and acting performances, but the core of this season's story was empty and hollow.
Old 01-17-13, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here is a great video on Naomi Grossman's transformation into "Pepper"...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-4GQCF5iMeU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-17-13, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And here she's "normal":

Old 01-17-13, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Third Cycle Of ‘American Horror Story’ To Be A Romance, Sarah Paulson & Evan Peters To Return

American Horror Story co-creator/executive producer Ryan Murphy lifted the veil a bit on the upcoming third installment of the FX horror series. At a screening of the season finale tonight, he confirmed that the storyline in season three will be a romance set in modern times, and that Sarah Paulson and Evan Peters will join star Jessica Lange on the next cycle. All three appeared both in American Horror: Asylum, whose finale airs next Wednesday, and the original American Horror Story.
Old 01-18-13, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally caught this episode last night... it was dis-jointed to say the least. I also thought it was entirely unnecessary. I don't think the core story moved forward at all except that Grace is dead (again) and Lana is a total beeyotch now. I guess we get Bloody Face II vs. Mommy next week? I highly doubt we'll ever get resolution as to why the aliens prefer Kitt or what happens to his kids.
Old 01-18-13, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I still enjoyed the episode but I agree with the sentiment that the episode felt like filler. Looking forward to the finale though.
Old 01-18-13, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually liked it. Instead of having the season end at some point in Briarcliff, its very interesting to me to see these characters sometime later. Its the kind of thing I usually think about anyway.
Old 01-18-13, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raul3
And here she's "normal":

She certainly looks way more Pepper and less Glamour Shots here... ugh.
Old 01-19-13, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts