Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

OMD - English Electric - 4/9/12

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

OMD - English Electric - 4/9/12

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-13, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
OMD - English Electric - 4/9/13

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/201...decimal-video/

Synthpop favorites Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark this morning announced they will release English Electric — their second post-reunion album and 12th studio set overall — this April, and both revealed the record’s tracklist and released a short animated teaser video set to the quasi-instrumental track “Decimal.”

The 12-track album will be released April 8/9 in a variety of formats, including CD, deluxe CD/DVD, heavyweight vinyl, “collectors’ tin boxset” and digitally, the band announced on its website. The tracklist and video for the Dazzle Ships-esque “Decimal” are included here as well.

The record’s first single, “Metroland,” will be released March 25.

Of the album, Andy McCluskey says: “The overarching feel tends to be a sense of loss, of melancholia, that things haven’t turned out the way you wanted them to, whether it be with technology or personal relationships.”

According to a news release announcing the record:

“Highlights include the radioactive clatter of ‘Atomic Ranch’ — a song which pokes fun at convention with computerised voices — ‘Kissing The Machine’ — which was composed in collaboration with early influence Kraftwerk member Karl Bartos — ‘Helen of Troy’ — which revives the recurring historical figure motif — and the glacial, uplifting ‘Metroland,’ the first single.”

The release comes weeks before OMD’s previously announced U.K. tour, which runs April 28 through May 14, and is followed by dates in France, Belgium and Germany. No U.S. shows have yet been announced in support of English Electric.

The album is OMD’s first since 2010′s History of Modern, which itself was OMD’s first new album since 1996’s Universal and its first with its classic lineup — original members McCluskey, Paul Humphreys, Martin Cooper and Malcolm Holmes — since 1986’s The Pacific Age.

The group toured heavily in 2010 and 2011, including that lineup’s first U.S. concerts since opening for Depeche Mode’s breakthrough Music for the Masses shows.

Tracklist: OMD, English Electric

1. “Please Remain Seated”
2. “Metroland”
3. “Night Café”
4. “The Future Will Be Silent”
5. “Helen of Troy”
6. “Our System”
7. “Kissing The Machine”
8. “Decimal”
9. “Stay With Me”
10. “Dresden”
11. “Atomic Ranch”
12. “Final Song”

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GZBNx6e3D_Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The last one was quite good, so hopefully this one follows form. The 2 clips I have heard so far remind me of Dazzle Ships. That would be quite a surprise.

Last edited by cdollaz; 01-15-13 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Wrong year in title
Old 01-15-13, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: OMD - English Electric - 4/9/12

Neat!

(Might want to change the release year though)
Old 01-18-13, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Awesome, loved their last album. Hope they tour the U.S. again, saw them last time through...one of the best shows I've ever seen. How Andy McCluskey maintains that level of energy is beyond me.
Old 02-11-13, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

New song. I'm not sure if this is the album version, a remix, or what:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C0NXbuvh3Iw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-12-13, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Meh, it would be ten times better without that dumb 4/4 bass drum. Then again, as you say, it could just be a remixed version. Let's hope. Otherwise, it sounds a lot like Kraftwerk/John Foxx, which is to say it sounds like OMD .
Old 02-12-13, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow... what great news! One of my all-time favorite bands. That first clip is so Dazzle Ships, it's crazy. And "Metroland" reminds me a lot of Architecture and Morality, which is my favorite album of theirs (though that's a really tough choice to make). But yeah... somebody kill that bass drumbeat.
Old 02-12-13, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Awesome news! Love OMD and didn't know they were back together and still making records. Bowie and now OMD.
Old 02-18-13, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
Awesome news! Love OMD and didn't know they were back together and still making records. Bowie and now OMD.
O.M.D. have always been a band, but Andy McCluskey and Paul Humphreys regrouped in 2006 and have been the original line-up since. "The History of Modern" in 2010 was pure classic O.M.D. I can't wait to hear this new album ("English Electric").
Old 03-16-13, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Preview clips of all songs on the album:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZVcMhdZypIQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-16-13, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Those clips are incredibly promising. I really liked History Of Modern, but this sounds even better. Couldn't believe the small club they played in Atlanta two years ago.
Old 04-02-13, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Full album stream:

http://pitchfork.com/advance/57-english-electric/
Old 04-03-13, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Listened twice and I'm enjoying this more than anything since 1985's Crush album. I would not have believed this a few years ago, but Paul joining the band again has put them on solid footing. These recent two albums are so much better than the 90's work. Woo hoo!
Old 04-08-13, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Loving this!! What struck me is how Andy's voice doesn't really sound much different than 30 years ago. Bono can't say the same.