Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old launch PS3 dead - stuck disk!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-13, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old launch PS3 dead - stuck disk!

So, I'm pretty sure my 20 gig launch PS3 is DEAD. I had just started watching a Blu-ray when it shut itself off with the red blinking light. Turning it off and on again shows the green light, which switches quickly to yellow, then blinking read. The system is 6 years old, and lately I've just been watching movies on it. Problem is, I don't know how to get the disc out. I tried the "fan test" but I guess I don't have a system it works on. Any other methods I don't know about, or am I going to have to tear the thing apart?

On the bright side, I am going target shooting tomorrow so now I have something else I can blow apart!
Old 01-11-13, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Old launch PS3 dead - stuck disk!

Had this same thing happen back in July....ultimately ripped it apart to get my Blade Runner disc out.
Old 01-12-13, 12:21 AM

I'll stop by Wal Mart and pick up a new one tomorrow. I mostly just watch movies so I could probably get away with a standalone player and maybe not even miss the PlayStation, but I know at some point I'll want to play some games again so I might as well spend the extra $150-$200 and get one of the new ones.
Old 01-12-13, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have an original PS3, but I had to replace the laser in my Slim PS3.

I didn't have stuck disc, but in going through the process I found it pretty straight forward actually getting to the drive and removing it. At that point it would have been pretty easy to remove a disc, had I left one in there. As long as you have the proper tools, it's not that difficult and you shouldn't run any risk of damaging the disc.

As a side note, you'll never have to worry about it with the current PS3 design.
Old 01-12-13, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

When this happened to me, I had to just open it up. I think the fan test thing was implemented on the 40GB model, which was the next version after the launch units.

BTW, the disc was The Beatles Rock Band.
Old 01-12-13, 04:13 PM

Picked up a new one today. Not the NEW new one that's super small, but the previous model. It was a choice between the new design with Assassin's Creed 3, which I actually almost bought, and the slim PS3 with nothing for $50 less. I realize overall I'm getting a better deal getting the game and a bigger HD, but as I said, I've not gamed in awhile, so it didn't seem worth it to me to spend the extra for a game I wasn't interested in in the first place.
Old 01-12-13, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g8xndiAnzj8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

just have to try a couple of times
Old 01-16-13, 03:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Same thing happened to me last summer with a game disc stuck it in. I didn't feel like jacking with it so I sold the whole thing on Ebay for $80 bucks and bought a new one. It was a bitch just to remove the HD with those tamper proof screws.
Old 01-16-13, 03:09 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Yeah, I've had to crack one of these open to get a stuck dick out, and it's a pain in the ass.
Old 01-16-13, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, the same thing happened to my original launch system as well. I forget what I had to do, but ultimately I found tricks online that allowed me to get the system to eject the disc, and even start working once again. Is it the one where you wrap it in a towel, put it in a box or something to get it in a small area, and take a hairdryer to the back vents? I'm thinking so. I think the theory is that this problem pops up when something comes apart, and doing this can produce enough heat to melt it back together.

I ultimately got it working by doing that, sold it on eBay as-is making it clear exactly what happened, what I did, and that it could work for a few seconds or could potentially keep working for weeks, months, or longer. I ended up selling it for around $100 or $150 and then put that towards my slim model.

EDIT:

Here is a video of what worked for me, although as mentioned above I also wrapped the entire system in a towel as well. I also moved it back and forth for more around 10-15 minutes, maybe 20 or so....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kUaCoimoKTk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Brent L; 01-16-13 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-16-13, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Yeah, I've had to crack one of these open to get a stuck dick out, and it's a pain in the ass.
Wait, who's dick was stuck in your PS3?
Old 01-16-13, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Old 01-16-13, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Yeah, I guess in some cases, having a PS3 stuck on your dick would definitely be a pain in the ass for someone...
Old 01-16-13, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts

As I mentioned in the PS3 thread, you can send a dead launch system back to Sony and for $99.99 they'll replace it with a "re-certified" Slim PS3. If there's a disc (or a dick, I assume) still in the system, they'll mail it back to you with the new system. It must be a complete system though (I had to retrieve my old 60 GB HDD and put it back in the unit).
Old 01-16-13, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just shoot at it a couple of times. That should work.
Old 01-17-13, 02:10 AM

Well, it's too late to send it back as I took it apart to get to the disc and maybe could have been more careful in the disassembly! So yes, I now intend to shoot it a few times at the gun range.
Old 01-17-13, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/anfm0dN4wa4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-19-13, 05:19 PM

Old 01-19-13, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

^I guess it's safe to say that PS3 is shot.
Old 01-19-13, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I had the same thing happen to my launch day PS3. If you have some time, follow this guide to fix it. I did, and now my system runs like new:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...-with-an-oven/

it sounds crazy, but it does work, and it's better than the hairdryer method.
Old 01-20-13, 11:42 AM

Holy Shit that's an involved process! Congrats to you for being able to do that successfully. I really wonder if anyone is that financially strapped that they'd do all that over spending an additional $80 and getting a refurbished Slim from Sony. I guess if you already took yours apart, that's not an option for you anyways.

Got my coffin on Friday -- too late to ship out before Monday (or maybe Tuesday, not sure if they ship on MLK Day). They sent instructions asking people not return "Insect-Infested Consoles". Ewwwww!
Old 01-20-13, 02:23 PM

I guess it would have been more financially responsible to just get a refurb from Sony. Shooting it wasn't actually all that exciting. Maybe if I had packed it with tannerite.
Old 01-20-13, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

The same thing happened to a friend's original launch unit. Even with all the noted tricks on YouTube, we could never get it started up again. Eventually he had to disassemble the entire unit and pull the drive out for his trapped BD. It's a fairly intensive process if you've never done it before.
Old 01-20-13, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The same thing happened to a friend's original launch unit. Even with all the noted tricks on YouTube, we could never get it started up again. Eventually he had to disassemble the entire unit and pull the drive out for his trapped BD. It's a fairly intensive process if you've never done it before.
Say what you will about the Super-slim; it does look cheap as hell. But you'll never have a disc stuck in one, that's for sure.
Old 01-20-13, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Speaking of, does anyone know how tough the previous slims are?

I had my original 80GB phat model PS3 YLOD on me and i got the slim(120GB) 2 and a half years ago.

So yeah, what are the chances it happens with these newer models? Because i use my PS3 ALOT! it's on at least 2-3 hours a day watching movies and tv shows and playing games.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.