Reload this Page >

Fringe season 4 question

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fringe season 4 question

Old 12-27-12, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fringe season 4 question

Did episode 19 "Letters of Transit" air out of sequence? It makes much more sense if it is the last episode of the season.
Old 12-27-12, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Re: Fringe season 4 question

No. That's the way it originally aired.
Old 12-27-12, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know it aired that way. Was it a mistake? If not, what was the rational? It seems seriously screwy to refer to things you couldn't possibly know until the last episode aired.
Old 12-27-12, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The 19th episode of every season of fringe is traditionally an off the wall episode. Off the top of my head is the cartoon ep of season 3 and the musical ep. There was a stop motion animation one as well. So Letters of Transit fits right into that pattern.
Old 12-28-12, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

plus at this point, the creators didn't know if they would get a 5th season. By airing this episode then it helped give Fox an idea of what they could do for a 5th season.
Old 12-28-12, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
The 19th episode of every season of fringe is traditionally an off the wall episode. Off the top of my head is the cartoon ep of season 3 and the musical ep. There was a stop motion animation one as well. So Letters of Transit fits right into that pattern.
This is the answer. The 19th episode of each season was always an experimental episode. I'm not sure if they have ever explained the significance of that particular number to Fringe.
Old 12-28-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

It's the Ka-tet of 19. The rule of multiple universes.
Old 12-28-12, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts

I can't find much about the show runners' thinking, but I think that the "out-there" episode for each season was number 19 partly out of tradition: the first "out-there" episode was the 19th one produced for season 2 (although it was the 20th to air due to an episode from season 1 airing during the 2nd season).

However, another reason to put it 19 is that it's so late in the season, it serves as a breather before the usually serialized final few episodes kick in.

As for why specifically "Letters of Transit" was placed there, while they wanted to produce an episode to show the network and fans what a 5th season would entail, the showrunners couldn't depend on there being a show past the season 4 finale. Placing it as the Episode 19 of the year allowed them to make a season finale that ended on a note of resolution, just in case they didn't get picked up. If that had happened, they could've passed off "Letters of Transit" as just another crazy episode, instead of a season-ending cliffhanger that was never resolved.