Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Clarification on rules, please

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-12, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another poster put up a thread yesterday asking about what type of gun he should get. I expected the thread to get locked. I know in the past, when Geoff ran the site, he didn't allow any talk about guns. But the thread wasn't locked... it just vanished.

I don't know what the rules are since IB took over. I checked the Rules page for DVDTalk, which says:

ABSOLUTELY NO:
• Posting links or information about where to purchase or sell drugs, guns or ammunition.
That's the only applicable rule I found, and the poster's thread wouldn't violate that rule. Can we get clarification? I saw another poster curious about the same thing a few days prior. If the topic is forbidden, that's fine, but the rules might need to be amended to make that clear.
Old 12-21-12, 06:10 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Clarification on rules, please

We've never allowed discussions of what kind of guns to buy, recommendations on guns, etc. We try to give a little leeway on discussions of them as part of another discussion such as in the recent school shooting thread, but we've never allowed threads primarily about guns.

So you're right, we probably need to clarify that in our rules.
Old 12-21-12, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!
Old 12-25-12, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

Why is it against the rules to discuss guns? It's a legal activity, unlike pirating movies. My recollection was that it was a personal preference of Geoff's. He didn't like guns, it was his site, so we didn't discuss guns. It made sense to me.

But that was then. I know that IB doesn't want to break a forum that works. But should Geoff's preferences of 2007 be frozen in place, like a fly in amber? I think that the whole existence of the rule ought to be reviewed.
Old 12-26-12, 12:10 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

The mods and admins discussed this rule after Geoff sold the site and we decided to leave it the way it was. I clarified the rule when it was requested in this thread and I don't think any further clarification is needed.