Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

So you want to get into vinyl. Kickstarter turntable

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-12, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted this over on expresso beans. Sometimes the topic comes up here about where to get an inexpensive turntable. And honestly, it was reading these posts and the Mondo records that made me finally step into vinyl after threatening to for 15 years.

I've been following these U Turn guys over on Audio Karma for a few months now, and they may have cracked the code for building an inexpensive yet solid table. I think it's going to be just what they say: a $150 TT that's better than the USB tables in the same price range. This should make budding audiophiles on a budget happy. No way will it miraculously be better than the $500+ tables.

Not affiliated, just wanted to share. I'm honestly on the fence about buying one since I have a perfectly good Music Hall MMF 5 with an Ortofon blue cart on it. And there is no cueing lever either on these early models. I drink to much wine when listening to my records.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/utu ... ref=search
Old 12-18-12, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: So you want to get into vinyl. Kickstarter turntable

link not working
Old 12-18-12, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ble-0?ref=live
Old 12-18-12, 05:09 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love the idea of a budget priced audiophile(ish) turntable with no USB, but I already have a great turntable. Still, I hope they make it so if my existing table ever craps out, I can consider one of those.
Old 12-18-12, 05:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
link not working
Ignore the snaps and pops...it's a lot "warmer" than other links.
Old 12-19-12, 10:49 AM

They have now gotten 1/3 of their funding in a couple of days. If this thing works I'd like to see if they could build something along the lines of a $1500 TT in the $500 -$800 price range. Might be impossible.
Old 12-26-12, 06:40 PM

So, I still haven't bought myself a record player and this seems like a solid idea...especially with the kind of backing it has so far. Should I go for it and back them?
Old 12-26-12, 08:42 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

So, I know this thing isn't USB, but I can't find any information that discusses how to set up the sound from the turntable. Does anyone have that information? I imagine it's from a receiver, but in 2012, you can have a variety of sound options.
Old 12-26-12, 08:45 PM

Yeah it looks like its a sure thing at this point with 80K having been funded. I'm still hoping they tweak it some with a cueing arm. I read that if these go mass market they probably won't be $150. And VPI has shown some interest in buying some and putting their name on it. I put up $75 for the print.

Originally Posted by Lipid
So, I know this thing isn't USB, but I can't find any information that discusses how to set up the sound from the turntable. Does anyone have that information? I imagine it's from a receiver, but in 2012, you can have a variety of sound options.
There's 2 RCA jacks in the back. Bring your own cables or use the ones provided. If your receiver doesn't have a phono input (and most modern ones don't, although I have seen some two channel receivers in the $200-300 range that are putting them back in) you'll need a phono amp between your table and auxilary input in your receiver. And like any of this stuff the range is a couple of bills to 1000s.

Last edited by MBoyd; 12-26-12 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-26-12, 09:01 PM

You talked me into it. I figured they wouldn't be this cheap after this thing goes into production...I hate to wait that long to get a turntable, but it will be worth it I assume.

Any suggestions of equipment that would be good for me to buy as a beginner? I mean, I need any details I can get because I've never really been into the audio-end of technology. Any responses would be much appreciated!
Old 12-26-12, 09:06 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

This may be a dumb question, but without a receiver, what would be the best way to play audio off this thing?
Old 12-26-12, 11:21 PM

Moopher and Lipid - You really need some kind of amplification. I guess you could plug the RCAs into a nice sound card and just rip the records. Go check out www.audiokarma.org I've been happy with my vintage set up. If you pay $25 a year you get access to guys selling vintage gear on that forum. I went to eBay for a vintage Pioneer sx650 that I paid 150 for. And Goodwill for what's in my sig.

Here's a new receiver at Amazon if you went that route

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-...=harmon+kardon
Old 12-28-12, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

decided to back this as I've been looking into trying out vinyl.
Old 12-29-12, 08:29 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I plan on buying one of these...
built in amp for receivers without a phono input & is supposed to compare to the Technics 1200

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica...audio+technica
Old 12-29-12, 11:23 PM

Yeah that's a great idea and all, but this UTurn table is trying to get away from USB. People are modifying tose Audio Technica tables to remove the USB feature even. It introduces sound degradation and maybe album according to some posts I've read. never heard one myself. At the end of the day, this should be a better product than that AT table as spiffy as it looks. It's just going to take a little more work to get it going.
Old 12-30-12, 12:12 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
It introduces sound degradation and maybe album according to some posts I've read. never heard one myself.
I dont quite understand what this means.

If you read the reviews on that AT all are positive. Even though this Uturn turntable looks nice and probably sounds very good, I doubt it would sound better than the AT, plus the AT has a ton more features.
Old 12-30-12, 10:28 AM

I don't either and I think auto correct did a number on it. What I was trying to say is that the sound has to pass through the USB system even if you don't use it at the time. This can introduce sound degradation and maybe even a hum according to some reviews I've read. Some have even taken to modifying the table and removing the USB and rewiring. They've been pleased with the results. If USB is important to you you then maybe it's right for you. With a sound card that has inputs, you dont need usb though.

The point of the UTurn table though is to get a turntable back to its pure form. To develop a made in the USA product that's going to sound as good as the entry level pro-jects and regas for $150 less.

Check this video before you make a decision.

http://youtu.be/T8sUuaclrZ4

I mean its really like anything. How deep down the rabbit hole do you want to go with the hobby. as I said I got into it earlier this year. Now I have a VPI record cleaning machine that I got for Christmas.

Last edited by MBoyd; 12-30-12 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-02-13, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Love how vinyl has made a resurgence just as entry level receivers pretty much got rid of the phono input.
Old 01-04-13, 12:04 AM

So, this being my first setup for vinyl. What is some of the equipment you would buy as a beginner?
Old 01-04-13, 08:48 AM

Want to go vintage or new? Vintage will probably be cheaper but need some TLC possibly. New I haven't much clue except that i know you need the phono pre amp if you have a receiver without a phono in.
Old 01-04-13, 11:25 PM

I suppose new, but I'm honestly not too picky either way. I also have absolutely zero audio equipment as of right now, but I'd like to slowly compile things before the turntable arrives.
Old 01-05-13, 07:19 PM
Banned by request

You'll need speakers, a receiver, and a pre-amp.

And you might want some records.
Old 01-05-13, 10:08 PM

Got plenty of records already. I'm just asking for suggestions on specific/recommended equipment, as if you were buying your first setup.
Old 01-06-13, 02:14 AM
Banned by request

When I got my setup, I did a lot of research, went on to audiophile forums, and then I went vintage, got a 70's Technics SL-1800 direct drive table, like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-TECH...item337ef0b960

Although that's more than I paid for mine, but might be in better condition. I then took the turntable to a local store that a DJ friend of mine recommended, and they gave it a once over, recalibrated everything, and replaced the analog cables with better ones.

Then, based on recommendations from people on those forums, and a few people here, got this preamp: http://www.amazon.com/Rolls-VP130-Tu...e+Phono+Preamp

I got it cheaper than the price they're listing now, so you might want to shop around on that one.

Finally, you need a receiver and speakers. I prefer Onkyo receivers, as I feel they have good bang for the buck. Others may differ. Depends on how much you have to spend. For speakers, if you want to also use this for your home theater, you would look into 5.1 packages. If only for music, maybe splurge on a pair of tower speakers. Again, all depends on how much you want to spend.
Old 01-07-13, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And you won't need the pre-amp if you get a receiver with a phono jack. Unfortunately, Pioneer and Denon seem to only put phono jacks on the high end units now.

I closeted my previous lower end Denon 5.1 receiver two years ago in favor of a much better unit. The old one had a phono jack. I ended up buying a Cambridge Audio phono stage to tide me over.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.