Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Help---Lego Games for Kids...Good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-12, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Help---Lego Games for Kids...Good?

help

I'm needing input on if the Lego Games are good for kids say in the 5-6 yr old range. FWIW they play Skylanders with ease but we're looking at getting them something different to break the routine. I didn't know how these games are or if they're more difficult than what they appear. Just looking for som input especially nyone with kids and how they like them or not?

Thanks
Old 12-17-12, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: Help---Lego Games for Kids...Good?

Boy, 9 years old, has been playing the various Lego games (sometimes with my help) since he was 6. He loves them all and they all have the same basic play mechanic. His sister, just turned 6, has a few problems with them but she's not really much of a "gamer". She likes to play but frequently asks for help. We own most of them (on the Wii) and play them regularly. No one "dies", puzzles aren't *too* hard, and there's lots to do especially once "free play" is unlocked on levels. If they play Skylanders (also a big hit in our house) "with ease" they'll have no problems with the Lego series of games. Start with Batman as it's arguably the best. Move on to the Indy and Star Wars ones after that bringing up the rear with the Harry Potter. Or just go in the order of your kids favorite franchises (the HP ones are a bit more difficult IMHO, mainly in how they handle moving between the levels and can cause issues if the "guide" isn't followed). All are different enough so each feels "fresh" but they are similar enough to each other that they also feel like old friends. We've not yet played Batman II, Pirates of the Carribean (Christmas presents), or Lord of the Rings (waiting for the inevitable price drop to the under $20 range). I like the games enough that I'll sometimes play when the kids are not around.
Old 12-17-12, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stay away from the Indiana ones, just my opinion; they turned out the worst of the bunch. For a first go, I'd go with either the Lego Batmans or Star Wars, then once they master those go on to the Potters. The Potters in my opinion are still the best collectively with Batmans a close second. From the demo I played of the LOTR series, it looks equally awesome and i can't wait for it to get down to $20 bucks. Haven't played POTC but i have it sitting here so its bound to get played in the next 6 months.
Old 12-18-12, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes they are great. The best being Lego Batman II
Old 12-18-12, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter turned 5 in September and she loves Lego Star Wars. She mainly likes the "City" bonus levels and running around in those, but can get through the story levels with a little help from Dad. Highly recommended.
Old 12-18-12, 10:13 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Stay away from the Indiana ones, just my opinion; they turned out the worst of the bunch.
Just to give a differing opinion, the Indiana Jones games are easily the favorites of my kids.
Old 12-18-12, 12:23 PM

My 7yr old loves the LEGO games. His go to games are Lego Indiana Jones and Lego Pirates of the Caribbean.

We got him Lego LOTR for X-Mas.
Old 12-18-12, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
help

I'm needing input on if the Lego Games are good for kids say in the 5-6 yr old range. FWIW they play Skylanders with ease but we're looking at getting them something different to break the routine. I didn't know how these games are or if they're more difficult than what they appear. Just looking for som input especially nyone with kids and how they like them or not?

Thanks
PM me your address and I'll give you Indiana Jones. Been collecting dust since we beat it months ago, so it's yours if you want it.
Old 12-18-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's no real difference in quality from franchise to franchise, the only variable is your own familiarity and fandom with each one. I enjoyed Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings less as I'm not really a fan of those compared to the other ones, but it's not anything to do with the presentation or gameplay because the same people are making the games.

Indiana Jones 2 and Clone Wars have kinda half-baked level editor and RTS elements (respectively) but that's the only sort of quality quirk across any of the games, and with Indy it's all optional unless you wanna get 1000/1000gs.
Old 12-18-12, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked Lego Batman the best. I enjoyed Lego Indy but haven't tried the second. As for Star Wars, it was the first one I tried and I enjoyed it a lot so I got Star Wars Complete which I got bored with probably since I played the first one.
Old 12-18-12, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I can't handle the Star Wars theme after playing through the Lego games a few years ago. Hearing it over and over and over again was painful.

Fun games, though.
Old 12-19-12, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Well for the first one we picked up the Star Wars; The Complete Saga to have him try. I saw some trailers on it and think he'll enjoy it. The characters may not have the same appeal as those in Skylanders but he may like the theme. I'll post what he does after Christmas and thanks for all the feedback.