Search this Thread

Old 12-16-12, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts
Dexter -- Season 7 Finale-- "Surprise Motherf****er!" -- 12/16/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
In the Season 7 finale, LaGuerta is on the verge of exposing Dexter and his killer ways, while he does his best to cover for himself and Debra, and maintain the life he's created.

Episode 12 of 12

The end of the season is already here. I really can't believe it's going to be done for the year tonight and only one season to go after this one. It's been a really strong season and I'm curious to see how the end of this season plays out.
Old 12-16-12, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Season 7 Finale-- "Surprise Motherf****er!" -- 12/16/12

Even had I not seen the preview for next week, I think the title of this episode sort of spoils

Spoiler:
Doakes returning
Old 12-16-12, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

From here on out, every Showtime show will have "motherfucker" in the episode title.
Old 12-16-12, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Great night of TV with this, Homeland and the 2 hr Survivor finale.

Damn, one more season to go after this. Hopefully it ends with a really crazy cliffhanger. These 3 months went by fast.
Old 12-16-12, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
Even had I not seen the preview for next week, I think the title of this episode sort of spoils

Spoiler:
Doakes returning
Spoiler:
Yeah, he's been mentioned so many times throughout LaGuerta's Bay Harbor Butcher investigation this year that I fully expected him to pop up as a Harry sort of figure in Dexter's head. I wonder if it'll be a one and done thing or if he'll show up sporadically throughout the next season.
Old 12-16-12, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Spoiler:
Yeah, he's been mentioned so many times throughout LaGuerta's Bay Harbor Butcher investigation this year that I fully expected him to pop up as a Harry sort of figure in Dexter's head. I wonder if it'll be a one and done thing or if he'll show up sporadically throughout the next season.
Spoiler:
I"d actually prefer that he replace Harry. Harry doesn't really offer anything new anymore. Most of the advice he gives out is pretty obvious and really could be stated by Dexter in the voiceovers. With ghost Doakes there would actually be an interesting dynamic there.
Old 12-16-12, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Well that's 0 for 2 on assumptions for this episode so far LOL.
Old 12-16-12, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Oh shit!
Old 12-16-12, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was pretty good. Not totally unexpected.
Old 12-16-12, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glide like a lizard motherfucker
Old 12-16-12, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

The right choice was made. Great ending, and I've really been impressed with Deb's acting all this season.

Spoiler:
Thank god that fuckin' bitch LaGuerta is gone. I was really hating her that moment she was confronting Deb about the gas. So evil.
Old 12-16-12, 09:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65
The right choice was made. Great ending, and I've really been impressed with Deb's acting all this season.

Spoiler:
Thank god that fuckin' bitch LaGuerta is gone. I was really hating her that moment she was confronting Deb about the gas. So evil.
Yeah, because it's evil to want to take down a serial killer.

Kinda wondering where next season will go. I didn't expect Deb to shoot Dex, but shit, taking LaGuerta out was just the easy and predictable path to take. It also, once again, allowed Dex to keep his hands clean, by not having him personally kill a character who would be the good guy in the situation if he wasn't the main character.

Good episode overall, but it kinda just reset the status quo, and makes me wonder if the writers actually have a plan for the final season. We all knew that Deb was going down with Dex already. Her killing someone for him really only cements a fact that was already established.
Old 12-16-12, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Wonder what they did with the bodies? Cut them up and dump them?

LaGuerta has a bullet from Deb's gun in her, so Dexter's plan of having them kill each other is sort of shot to hell now, unless he somehow got the bullet out and could still fake the planned death scheme.

...and Hannah is still out there. I thought she might try to do a mass poisoning at Angel's retirement party or something.
Old 12-16-12, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Fuck yeah, the witch is dead. The witch is dead! Awesome ending. I wonder if Dex took the search warrants from her home, so when they investigate her house, there's no traces of her investigation. I am curious as to how they disposed of their bodies, though.

I'm wondering if we may see some blasts from the past come back in the final season. Hanna, Lumen, etc. I loved the Doakes flashbacks. Not as everyone expected, since many thought Dexter would see Doakes like his dad.

Overall, I'm happy with this season. Much improved over last.
Old 12-16-12, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Altho I wonder in regards to next season...

Spoiler:
That it will end with Deb having to once again make that choice and decides that Dex will have to go
Old 12-16-12, 10:41 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Woah. Special Guest Star survives the Season?

Fuck. We were all wrong about Deb poisoning herself.
Old 12-16-12, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn. This season was in my opinion twelve out of twelve just all around greatness. After last year I think some of us had our hopes a little down when it came to the show. I know I didn't hate the last season as much as many but it wasn't as great as the ones that came before it. This year though the writers just knocked it out of the damn park.

I had the feeling all season long that LaGuerta wasn't going to make it out alive. It just seemed like it was something that was going to happen in order for Dexter to save himself and Deb after she started looking into Dexter as being the Bay Harbor Butcher. I did feel bad for her at the end because in a lot of ways she didn't deserve what she got but I can't say I'll necessarily miss the character. I was a bit surprised that Deb did the deed and really isn't going to be able to turn back from the fact that she's not only covering for her brother who's a serial killer but is a killer herself. Should be interesting seeing how that comes into play with her character next year. Her killing LaGuerta seems like something that will end up fucking her and Dexter over eventually as I'd have to think the bullet will be traced back to her gun providing the bodies are found.

It was cool seeing the Doakes flashbacks. It was different than I expected but the way it was done worked. I liked how Dexter was reflecting on his mistakes with letting down his guard with Doakes and gave him reason to give him suspicions about him leading up to the situation he's in now.

The big question is what happens now. I think it has to be fairly obvious that Dexter will be looked at in the death/disappearance of LaGuerta after she arrested him and accused him of being the Bay Harbor Butcher. I'm not sure if Dexter left the bodies there to be discovered (that seemed to be his original intention) or if he did something else with them. It also seems safe to assume that Matthews comes into play again. I wonder if he'll keep Dexter's secret or lead the chase to take him down.

Then there's Hannah. I'm curious as to how she'll play into next year. Will she be the next big bad or will she try and protect Dexter even after he betrayed her.

No matter what this last season should be great. I really hope the writers can keep it on the same level as this year.

Last edited by Mike86; 12-16-12 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-16-12, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Then there's Hannah. I'm curious as to how she'll play into next year. Will she be the next big bad or will she try and protect Dexter even after he betrayed her.
Hannah may not be in the season at all. She's on the run, she won't be staying in Miami. Her leaving that plant felt like a 'goodbye' more than anything else.
Old 12-16-12, 11:10 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Were the scenes with Doakes really flashbacks to an earlier season or newly-filmed scenes? I don't recall the earlier episodes to remember correctly and it looked as though Dexter just combed his hair differently to look younger.

Wasn't surprised that Hannah poisoned Deb. I was reluctant to jump on the "Deb poisoned herself" bandwagon last week.
Old 12-16-12, 11:13 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Newly filmed.
Old 12-16-12, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk God

newly filmed scenes, i do believe.
Old 12-16-12, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Were the scenes with Doakes really flashbacks to an earlier season or newly-filmed scenes? I don't recall the earlier episodes to remember correctly and it looked as though Dexter just combed his hair differently to look younger.

Wasn't surprised that Hannah poisoned Deb. I was reluctant to jump on the "Deb poisoned herself" bandwagon last week.
They were filmed just for this episode.
Old 12-16-12, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some of them felt re-used but I think they were just re-shot. I seem to recall a few scenes from the first two seasons that were very similar. Particularly the scene where Doakes was asking him about the blood reports. I'm fairly certain that was from an early episode but they extended it a bit.
Old 12-16-12, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I gotta say, I'm not satisfied. Laguerta being killed with Deb's gun seems like a major issue, same with the search warrants that had already been out to a judge for Deb and Dexter's phones.

I would have preferred the season just end with Deb saying something like "Dexter, run" instead of shooting Laquerta. Instead it felt like yet another reset.

But I'm guessing Deb killing an innocent person will really mess her up. So at least they have that to work with.
Old 12-16-12, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I gotta say, I'm not satisfied. Laguerta being killed with Deb's gun seems like a major issue, same with the search warrants that had already been out to a judge for Deb and Dexter's phones.

I would have preferred the season just end with Deb saying something like "Dexter, run" instead of shooting Laquerta. Instead it felt like yet another reset.

But I'm guessing Deb killing an innocent person will really mess her up. So at least they have that to work with.
Both things are issues I agree but I think it's fairly obvious where they're going with the gun and issued warrants. Obviously with next season being the last it's likely that we'll see the downfall of Dexter and Deb. I was kind of hoping the series would go in a different direction than just killing Dexter off in the end or having him go to jail but it's seeming less likely that either of those two things won't happen in my opinion.

Dexter running doesn't seem like a likely scenario at all to me. He even mentioned it tonight that the fake life that he had tried so hard to create became real for him and his ties to Miami and the friends and family he has there won't just let him up and leave.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.